    Should I do this without taking the 622 and 646 and go straight to EA(or do
    all the titles in between really matter?)?
    Has anyone done this path?, how long did it take?

    Andrew B, Aug 28, 2009

  2. Andrew B

    Chris M Guest

    Andrew B wrote:
    > Any advice on this would be appreciated.
    >
    > I have decided to take the following path to my MCM (Microsoft Certified
    > Master) as I intend to move up to network architecture.
    >
    > MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician - Exam 70-620 & Exam 70-622
    > MCITP: Server Administrator - Exam 70-640, Exam 70-642 & Exam 70-646
    > MCITP: Enterprise Administrator - Exam 70-643 & Exam 70-647 (plus above
    > exams)
    > MCM: Windows Server 2008: Directory Exam 70-297
    >
    > My Questions are:
    > Is this a sensible & short approach to getting the highest MCITP's
    > certificates in the shortest route?
    > Should I do this without taking the 622 and 646 and go straight to EA(or
    > do all the titles in between really matter?)?
    > Has anyone done this path?, how long did it take?

    Putting your questions aside for one second, you do realise that the
    MCITP:EA plus 70-297 are only *pre-requisites* for the MCM course and exam?

    The MCM itself consists of a training course and exams, which can only
    be taken in Redmond and will cost you either $13,950 or $18,500
    depending on which MCM qualification you're going for.

    Apologies if you already realised this, but from your post above it
    seems that you're under the impression that taking 70-297 plus your
    other certs will automatically give you an MCM cert.

    --
    Chris.

    Chris M, Aug 28, 2009

  3. Andrew B

    Chris M Guest

    Andrew B wrote:
    > Any advice on this would be appreciated.
    >
    > I have decided to take the following path to my MCM (Microsoft Certified
    > Master) as I intend to move up to network architecture.
    >
    > MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician - Exam 70-620 & Exam 70-622
    > MCITP: Server Administrator - Exam 70-640, Exam 70-642 & Exam 70-646
    > MCITP: Enterprise Administrator - Exam 70-643 & Exam 70-647 (plus above
    > exams)
    > MCM: Windows Server 2008: Directory Exam 70-297
    >
    > My Questions are:
    > Is this a sensible & short approach to getting the highest MCITP's
    > certificates in the shortest route?
    > Should I do this without taking the 622 and 646 and go straight to EA(or
    > do all the titles in between really matter?)?
    > Has anyone done this path?, how long did it take?

    Other than my above reply, that seems a logical path to take, but it
    depends on your current skills.

    I did the 2003 equivalent of your suggested path (MCDST, MCSA and then
    MCSE) and it worked well for me because the certifications were relevant
    to my experience at the time I was studying for them - i.e I was working
    as a desktop support tech when I did the MCDST, was a server admin when
    I did the MCSA and was a systems engineer when I became an MCSE.

    If you're already experienced with 2008 (not easy since a lot of places
    haven't upgraded yet) then I don't see the point in going for the
    MCITP:EST cert first, unless you want an 'easy win' and another logo for
    your CV (which I admit can be a reason in itself :)

    --
    Chris.

    Chris M, Aug 28, 2009
  4. Andrew B

    Andrew B Guest

    Goodness!! I had no idea!

    I thought it was just another exam that required the other pre-requisites.

    As I live in the UK then I will definitely need to rethink my overall final
    strategy.

    Thanks for that, Chris. I'll read up on it fully.

    Andrew.

    Andrew B, Aug 28, 2009
  5. Andrew B

    Andrew B Guest

    "Chris M" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew B wrote:
    >> Any advice on this would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> I have decided to take the following path to my MCM (Microsoft Certified
    >> Master) as I intend to move up to network architecture.
    >>
    >> MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician - Exam 70-620 & Exam 70-622
    >> MCITP: Server Administrator - Exam 70-640, Exam 70-642 & Exam 70-646
    >> MCITP: Enterprise Administrator - Exam 70-643 & Exam 70-647 (plus above
    >> exams)
    >> MCM: Windows Server 2008: Directory Exam 70-297
    >>
    >> My Questions are:
    >> Is this a sensible & short approach to getting the highest MCITP's
    >> certificates in the shortest route?
    >> Should I do this without taking the 622 and 646 and go straight to EA(or
    >> do all the titles in between really matter?)?
    >> Has anyone done this path?, how long did it take?

    > Other than my above reply, that seems a logical path to take, but it
    > depends on your current skills.
    >
    > I did the 2003 equivalent of your suggested path (MCDST, MCSA and then
    > MCSE) and it worked well for me because the certifications were relevant
    > to my experience at the time I was studying for them - i.e I was working
    > as a desktop support tech when I did the MCDST, was a server admin when I
    > did the MCSA and was a systems engineer when I became an MCSE.
    >
    > If you're already experienced with 2008 (not easy since a lot of places
    > haven't upgraded yet) then I don't see the point in going for the
    > MCITP:EST cert first, unless you want an 'easy win' and another logo for
    > your CV (which I admit can be a reason in itself :)
    >
    > --
    > Chris.

    lol, that's exactly what I was thinking. 3 logos by the time I reach
    MCITP:EA

    I am currently a 3rd line /server engineer managing about 200 servers in a
    datacenter. I've been doing support for 15 years now (desktop, 2nd then 3rd
    line) but don't have any quals. I intend to change that.

    I am experienced with 2003 but want to get the quals while I study all the
    2008 systems and new technologies.

    Thanks for your reply.

    Impressive background with all those quals BTW.

    Andrew B, Aug 28, 2009
  6. Andrew B

    Chris M Guest

    Andrew B wrote:
    > Goodness!! I had no idea!
    >
    > I thought it was just another exam that required the other pre-requisites.
    >
    > As I live in the UK then I will definitely need to rethink my overall
    > final strategy.

    Same here. I was gutted when I found out how much it cost (not including
    flights and accommodation either... it's like the most expensive
    busman's holiday in the world), especially since I already qualify to
    apply for the course

    I suppose they might start doing the MCM courses elsewhere, but the
    price is still prohibitive.

    --
    Chris.

    Chris M, Aug 28, 2009
  7. Andrew B

    John Ayinla Guest

    70-620

    Could anyone please advise me about the format of the 70-620 exam? I want to
    take the exam on saturday.
    Thanks guys

    John Ayinla, Oct 28, 2009
  8. Re: 70-620

    "John Ayinla" <> wrote in message

    > Could anyone please advise me about the format of the 70-620 exam? I want
    > to take the exam on saturday.

    Questions. Answers. Simulations. That's all I can say; the rest, as we all
    know, is covered by a mandatory Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).

    Look, if you're still asking about the format of the exam, then you've
    apparently not read a lick of study materials (or you skipped that section),
    since every study guide I've ever seen talks about the exam specifications
    and what to expect during the exam in the INTRODUCTION to the book -- before
    you even get to product installation in Chapter 1.

    Furthermore, if you don't know the format of the exam, I'm skeptical that
    you're sufficiently prepared to take the exam. (Although, the 70-620 is
    probably the easiest Microsoft cert exam ever written.)

    At a minimum, I'd suggest three things:
    1. Consider rescheduling your exam until you've had sufficient opportunity
    to orient yourself as to what to expect (and demonstrate to yourself that
    you can actually answer sample questions and perform the necessary simulated
    tasks). This would seem to be your first Microsoft cert exam ever, and there
    are 'tricks' to successfully *taking* the exam (never mind the actual
    knowledge required to *pass* the exam).
    2. Read at least one reputable Study Guide (MSPress, Sybex, Syngress,
    APress, Wrox) -- including the Introduction.
    3. Spend some time reviewing the Microsoft Learning website, particularly
    the sections that talk about certification exams:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/default.aspx, what to expect, and
    what the restrictions and rules are as an examination participant.

    Not included above, which I assume you've done (and really is the only thing
    I can assume here) -- is to have installed and used the product you're being
    tested on (Vista, in this case).

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Oct 28, 2009