    gratefully accepted.

    Thanks
    Andy

    AndyPr, Nov 14, 2004

  2. AndyPr

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    You need to install both cards to be in Ad-Hoc mode.

    This setting is usually available in the cards drivers.

    Or use the manufacturer utility.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "AndyPr" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there.
    > I have hust purchased a new computer. It is running Win XP with SP2

    loaded.
    > It has a MSI PCI wireless network adaptor card (model PC54G2) installed

    and
    > there is a little icon onscreen, albeit with a red cross next to it, so

    the
    > hardware/software is being recognized. I want to set up a home WIFI system
    > but am conpletely unable to open any wireless network connections. The
    > wireless networkconnection icon says 'Not connected'. I am online with an
    > ADSL link via a standard ZyXEL USB modem and my second computer has a

    Belkin
    > USB network adaptor installed. How do i get my computer to actually find a
    > wireless network. I was assured that
    > I need no further hardware but I'm not sure this is right. Do i need to
    > purchase an access point or will the router in my main machine suffice.

    I'm

    Jack, Nov 14, 2004

  3. AndyPr

    AndyPr Guest

    Thank you Jack. I'll have a look.

    Andy

    AndyPr, Nov 14, 2004
  4. AndyPr

    peter Guest

    You describe a wireless network adaptor card but you do not describe a wireless
    access point or router.
    You said a "standard" USB modem with a USB network adaptor ....Not wireless
    capable.
    You cannot connect without having an access point.You need to buy wireless
    router which would hook up to your ZyXEL and your MSI would communicate with it
    to access the net or the other computer.
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/communication/cmu/pro_cmu_detail.php?UID=584
    click on product diagram on the left.
    http://www.zyxel.com/product/model....dexcate1=1021877946&indexFlagvalue=1021873638
    look at the users guide on the right.
    peter

    peter, Nov 15, 2004
  5. AndyPr

    AndyPr Guest

    Than you very much for your advice peter. It's much appreciated.

    Andy

    AndyPr, Nov 15, 2004