    2000, BTW). Troubleshooting is my biggest problem. Once I get past my skill
    set, I am in the trees.

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=, Apr 18, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > I've begun investigating MCSA/MCSE as a pathway to what I need to know to

    I wouldn't approach it like that. Instead of persuing certification or cert
    knowledge, I would look into products you are supporting. If, for example,
    you are using Win2k3 on your servers, I would get the book Mastering Windows
    2003 by Mark Minasi or some other product specific book.

    Jtyc, Apr 18, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Jtyc" <> say in

    >> I've begun investigating MCSA/MCSE as a pathway to what I need to
    >> know to

    > I wouldn't approach it like that. Instead of persuing certification
    > or cert knowledge, I would look into products you are supporting. If,
    > for example, you are using Win2k3 on your servers, I would get the
    > book Mastering Windows 2003 by Mark Minasi or some other product
    > specific book.

    actually, that is quiet possibly the best advice I have ever heard jtyc
    give in this forum.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - One good turn gets most of the blankets.

    Neil, Apr 18, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    CBIC Guest

    In news:Xns97A9B3370FD2Dneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.16,
    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> simply stated:
    > actually, that is quiet possibly the best advice I have ever heard
    > jtyc give in this forum.

    I wonder what's wrong with him.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38

    CBIC, Apr 18, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > actually, that is quiet possibly the best advice I have ever heard jtyc
    > give in this forum.

    shh...

    Jtyc, Apr 18, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > I wonder what's wrong with him.

    Well right now I have a crick in my right wrist. It's really bugging the
    heck outa me. Painful to type and use the mouse.

    Jtyc, Apr 18, 2006
  7. **Jtyc's** the one who fcukin said it
    <<-------------------------------->>
    >> I wonder what's wrong with him.

    > Well right now I have a crick in my right wrist. It's really bugging
    > the heck outa me. Painful to type and use the mouse.

    Lay off the pr0n!

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP Sb (Antimony)

    Bigus Di©kus, Apr 19, 2006
  8. I appreciate everyone's responses, although Jtyc, your advice is now under
    suspicion of making too much sense, so I'll take it with a mighty grain!

    I agree with you in principle, but I'm a tad bit worried, and here's why.
    I'm the only person responsible for our network setups; back up engineering
    help is a day away on a good day. We're deadline oriented, so it all HAS to
    work (and the air server must stay on air 24/7, making that even more mission
    critical). I'm certain every network admin/engineer on this board has the
    same responsibility. If you work where they say, "Sure, the network can stay
    down all week!", gimme a call, I'm looking for that kind of gig.

    Upshot is, I need to be fully immersed in network setup and administration.
    If Mastering will get me to that point, I'm pleased. I'm not hot and bothered
    to obtain certifications (although it would help the resume), as I'll most
    likely stay here and no one here gives a hoot about certs. But if I'm missing
    critical information/knowledge by not going MCSA/SE or a similar route, I'd
    like to know ahead of time.

    One other point: Our IT people, God bless 'em, are highly skilled/talented
    and can fix any standard computer problem we have. Sadly, nothing we own is
    'standard'. Between Avid and Matco, our server operations are about as wacky
    as you'll get, so for the most part, IT doesn't want to mess with us and I'd
    rather not have them fixing unique setups without knowledge. I have the
    Avid/Matco experience, and simply need to round that out with ample
    networking knowledge.

    Again, I'm not beholden to any specific pathway, and I will certainly
    examine the Mastering series. If anyone has a further thought, I'd appreciate
    it.

    =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=, Apr 19, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    kpg Guest

    As anon once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

    > I appreciate everyone's responses, although Jtyc, your
    > advice is now under suspicion of making too much sense, so I'll take
    > it with a mighty grain!

    Now you've gone and scared him for life. I blame you if he never offers
    good advice again.

    kpg, Apr 19, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > Now you've gone and scared him for life. I blame you if he never offers
    > good advice again.

    Never pee into the wind.

    Jtyc, Apr 19, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    kpg Guest

    > Never pee into the wind.

    ....or on Superman's cape.

    kpg, Apr 19, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?= <> say in

    > I'll take it with a mighty grain!

    DON'T!!! the advice was really good. Experience is the best prep for the
    exams. If you don't have it, start reading and learn.

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - I don't care if I AM a lemming. I'm NOT going!

    Neil, Apr 20, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear kpg <> say in

    >> Never pee into the wind.

    > ...or on Superman's cape.

    or _SPIT_ on superman's cape.

    ....you don't pull the mask of the ole Lone Ranger

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Software is the part of the computer you can't kick.

    Neil, Apr 20, 2006
  14. I was kidding on the mighty grain, it appears to me that Jtyc has a good
    sense of humor, so I took a small poke.

    I would like to return to my overriding question, as I retain uncertainty as
    to the level of knowledge I'll gain with a Mastering book vs. going through
    the entire SA/SE route.

    I am going to be the sysadmin here, knowledge or not. I've gained way more
    experience than I'd ever imagined possible while working with two of my
    favorite engineering types. Both of them advocated the MSCE pathway in hopes
    that I will be able to handle everything that goes wrong with our current
    networks and that I will be able to not only administer what we have, I'll be
    able to design and implement future expansions.

    I feel that the level of knowledge I'll require to effectively do this might
    be exceeded by a single educational resource, i.e. Master vs. the education
    available through the entire certification track.

    Thankfully, I'm not going to 'shake and bake' it by simply reading the texts
    and trying to pass the exams without real world applicability. All the study
    I've already undertaken has happened with my current network situations
    firmly in mind. The certs are really added bonuses when compared to what I
    have to know to take on the tasks ahead.

    Thanks, all, for your already splendid guidance.

    And you don't mess with Leroy Brown, baddest man in the whole damn town...

    Ah, Croce on 8-track, those were the days...

    =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=, Apr 20, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Cerebrus Guest

    >> I feel that the level of knowledge I'll require to effectively do this might
    >> be exceeded by a single educational resource, i.e. Master vs. the education
    >> available through the entire certification track.

    I agree. Although I am on the "SD" track, not the SE or SA track of
    Microsoft
    Certifications, so some of my comments might not really be relevant.

    In my opinion, as you start preparing for certifications, you learn
    much more than you
    would learn by just reading a few books. There are many reasons for
    this.

    You gain a much wider perspective of the works. You learn not only how
    things work,
    but why they work that way. You learn the best ways of doing things,
    because MS often
    publishes a set of guidelines or best practices to do things. There
    must be a million other reasons, that someone on the MCSE track can
    better guide you on.

    And there is a psychological reason as well. When your mind is under
    pressure to learn
    something, because you know you're going to be tested on it, your mind
    works much better and retains much more.

    Just my 2p.

    Regards,

    Cerebrus

    Cerebrus, Apr 20, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    MitchS Guest

    "Cerebrus" <> wrote in message
    > so some of my comments might not really be relevant.

    If relevancy were a requirement this would be a very, very quiet place and
    you would have never met Neil.
    no, not just kidding
    *runs at a not too fast so as to still look kewl pace.*
    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.

    MitchS, Apr 20, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    > it appears to me that Jtyc has a good
    >sense of humor

    as do we all.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Apr 20, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >actually, that is quiet possibly the best advice I have ever heard jtyc
    >give in this forum.

    I'm sure it was jtyc (and keyboard Cowboy?) who gave some damn good
    advice on assault weapons a while back.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Apr 20, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    Jtyc Guest

    >I was kidding on the mighty grain, it appears to me that Jtyc has a good
    > sense of humor, so I took a small poke.

    Please don't mess with me, I lost my sense of humo(u)r in a tragic fishing
    accident.

    > I would like to return to my overriding question, as I retain uncertainty
    > as
    > to the level of knowledge I'll gain with a Mastering book vs. going
    > through
    > the entire SA/SE route.

    Test or no test, the Mastering books by Mark Minasi are great books overall.
    The information contained in it will help you manage your server more than a
    course oriented book in my personal opinion. You should find some good best
    practices in there that will help you keep your server(s) running smooth.

    And don't forget to purchase the Microsoft Windows Security Resource Kit by
    the incomproble Ben Smith!

    *cha ching!*

    Jtyc, Apr 20, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?YW5vbg==?=

    CBIC Guest

    > And don't forget to purchase the Microsoft Windows Security Resource
    > Kit by the incomproble Ben Smith!

    Long live the Ben!1111111
    --
    aka