Advice please: VOIP newbie

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ian Richardson, Mar 10, 2007.

  1. I'm looking to replace our NTL telephone service with a VOIP one using
    the NTL broadband connection I've got.

    I guess I could use an analogue telephone adapter (ATA), and use my
    existing PSTN-based DECT answerphone.

    I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with SIP@Home-enabled DD-WRT
    (so I could then use a SIP-enabled wifi phone for around the house), but
    as the cost of a standalone ATA appears to be about as much as a
    replacement wireless router with built-in ATA, I'm also up for any
    suggestions on replacing the router (as long as I can also flash it with
    DD-WRT).

    The only pain is that I also have a Sky HD box connected to the existing
    phone line. Rather than replace the existing wired extension with an
    alternative, it looks like I could use a wireless phone extender
    (specifically the one advertised on
    http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=55456, as
    most sites claim that alternatives don't work with Sky+ or SkyHD
    boxes). Unless, of course, anyone knows differently.

    Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL telephone
    number could be used with the VOIP provider?

    Thanks,

    Ian

    Ian Richardson, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Ian Richardson

    Jono Guest

    Ian Richardson presented the following explanation :
    > I'm looking to replace our NTL telephone service with a VOIP one using the
    > NTL broadband connection I've got.
    >
    > I guess I could use an analogue telephone adapter (ATA), and use my existing
    > PSTN-based DECT answerphone.

    Yep.

    > I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with SIP@Home-enabled DD-WRT (so I
    > could then use a SIP-enabled wifi phone for around the house), but as the
    > cost of a standalone ATA appears to be about as much as a replacement
    > wireless router with built-in ATA, I'm also up for any suggestions on
    > replacing the router (as long as I can also flash it with DD-WRT).

    Look on Broadbandstuff for the Linksys/Sipura SPA1001 - very good ATA.
    I use the same router as you with NO one-way audio issues, or port
    forwarding requirements. Don't bin it. You could get 3 or 4 SPA1001s
    for the price of a WiFi phone - they're also not the most reliable of
    devices, by all accounts.

    > The only pain is that I also have a Sky HD box connected to the existing
    > phone line.

    Disconnect it. No need to have it connected & it won't dial in using
    Voip - the modem within the Sky box will only connect at speeds above
    those which can be (relatively) reliably achieved over VoIP.

    > Rather than replace the existing wired extension with an
    > alternative, it looks like I could use a wireless phone extender
    > (specifically the one advertised on

    For your Sky box? Don't bother.

    > http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=55456, as
    > most sites claim that alternatives don't work with Sky+ or SkyHD boxes).
    > Unless, of course, anyone knows differently.
    >
    > Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL telephone
    > number could be used with the VOIP provider?

    No. Unless it's a BT number that you've ported to ex-NTL.

    Jono, Mar 10, 2007

  3. Ian Richardson

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Ian Richardson presented the following explanation :
    >> Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL
    >> telephone number could be used with the VOIP provider?

    > No. Unless it's a BT number that you've ported to ex-NTL.

    Um, there is no reason why a VoIP provider could not port a number from
    NTL. You just need to find one which supports it or who would be willing
    to setup a porting a agreement with NTL.

    Paul Cupis, Mar 10, 2007
  4. Ian Richardson

    Herman Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message news:45f2e009.0@entanet...
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Ian Richardson presented the following explanation :
    >>> Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL telephone
    >>> number could be used with the VOIP provider?

    >> No. Unless it's a BT number that you've ported to ex-NTL.

    > Um, there is no reason why a VoIP provider could not port a number from
    > NTL. You just need to find one which supports it or who would be willing
    > to setup a porting a agreement with NTL.

    In theory you're right but I think he may be a while searching.

    FWIW, my advice is keep the NTL line as a backup until you're happy with
    your VoIP set-up and provider and then ditch the phone line if you want to.

    Just for your interest though, I spoke to NTL retentions team and they
    matched (as far as they could) the Orange deal I had found and so I now have
    10MB BB + phone line + 24 hr geo calls for £20 pcm. I use the NTL line as a
    backup, only because I once had an issue getting through to 999 on
    voip.co.uk. They say they sorted the issue, but you I have no way of
    knowing if that is correct until I try next time... If you have a unit with
    PSTN fallover (or FXO as Linksys call it) could be a good way to get the
    features of VoIP and keep your phone number.

    I must get used to calling them VirginMedia. Sounds like it should have
    very marginally better customer service...

    Herman, Mar 10, 2007
  5. Ian Richardson

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Look on Broadbandstuff for the Linksys/Sipura SPA1001 - very good ATA. I
    > use the same router as you with NO one-way audio issues, or port
    > forwarding requirements. Don't bin it. You could get 3 or 4 SPA1001s for
    > the price of a WiFi phone - they're also not the most reliable of
    > devices, by all accounts.

    Except that the SPA-1001 is no more.

    Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit
    more expensive.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 10, 2007
  6. Ian Richardson

    Tim Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit
    > more expensive.

    Or SPA-2002's are still available. Which cost a bit more, but they can
    do two simultaneous G.729 calls.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 10, 2007
  7. Ian Richardson

    Jono Guest

    Paul Cupis wrote :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Ian Richardson presented the following explanation :
    >>> Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL telephone
    >>> number could be used with the VOIP provider?

    >> No. Unless it's a BT number that you've ported to ex-NTL.

    > Um, there is no reason why a VoIP provider could not port a number from NTL.
    > You just need to find one which supports it or who would be willing to setup
    > a porting a agreement with NTL.

    So the answer's still no.

    Jono, Mar 10, 2007
  8. Ian Richardson

    Jono Guest

    Tim expressed precisely :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Look on Broadbandstuff for the Linksys/Sipura SPA1001 - very good ATA. I
    >> use the same router as you with NO one-way audio issues, or port forwarding
    >> requirements. Don't bin it. You could get 3 or 4 SPA1001s for the price of
    >> a WiFi phone - they're also not the most reliable of devices, by all
    >> accounts.

    > Except that the SPA-1001 is no more.
    >
    > Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit more
    > expensive.
    >
    > Tim

    Noooooo.

    It's not at all the same.

    Jono, Mar 10, 2007
  9. Ian Richardson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Tim wrote:
    > > Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is
    > > only a little bit more expensive.

    > Or SPA-2002's are still available. Which cost a bit
    > more, but they can do two simultaneous G.729 calls.
    >
    > Tim

    What if you only want/need one handset..? What I like about the 1001 is
    that you can have two totally independent accounts feeding a single phone
    or PBX line. I have a 1001 on my speaking clock, it has a Sipgate/PSTN
    number (020 7043 1320) and also another number on a private system, an
    incoming call on either gets the clock, if in use a caller on either line
    gets ring tone until the system is free.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 10, 2007
  10. Ian Richardson

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:
    >> Except that the SPA-1001 is no more.
    >>
    >> Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit
    >> more expensive.
    >>

    > Noooooo.
    >
    > It's not at all the same.

    Sorry. I should have said, `nearest replacement`.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 10, 2007
  11. Ian Richardson

    Jono Guest

    It happens that Tim formulated :
    > Jono wrote:
    >>> Except that the SPA-1001 is no more.
    >>>
    >>> Replacement is the PAP2T, which does 2 lines and is only a little bit more
    >>> expensive.
    >>>

    >> Noooooo.
    >>
    >> It's not at all the same.

    > Sorry. I should have said, `nearest replacement`.

    Can you not get any in stock? Haven't you got a single one? I've been
    meaning to get another for a while but never got around to it

    Jono, Mar 10, 2007
  12. Ian Richardson

    Tim Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > What if you only want/need one handset..? What I like about the 1001 is
    > that you can have two totally independent accounts feeding a single phone
    > or PBX line. I have a 1001 on my speaking clock, it has a Sipgate/PSTN
    > number (020 7043 1320) and also another number on a private system, an
    > incoming call on either gets the clock, if in use a caller on either line
    > gets ring tone until the system is free.

    I know.

    As far as I know, we can't get anymore SPA-1001's. We bought up all
    the ones we could on the basis of the feature you mentioned.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 10, 2007
  13. Ian Richardson

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > Can you not get any in stock? Haven't you got a single one? I've been
    > meaning to get another for a while but never got around to it

    The last units sold on the 22 February.

    I will check on Monday that it is definitely the end.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 10, 2007
  14. Ian Richardson

    Tim Guest

    Jono wrote:
    [spa-1001]
    > Can you not get any in stock? Haven't you got a single one? I've been
    > meaning to get another for a while but never got around to it

    Actually, I think I know where there might be one. Drop me an email,
    and I'll let you know if it is still there when I can have a look.

    Tim

    Tim, Mar 10, 2007
  15. Ian Richardson

    Mick Guest

    Tim wrote:

    > Jono wrote:
    > [spa-1001]
    > > Can you not get any in stock? Haven't you got a single one? I've
    > > been meaning to get another for a while but never got around to it

    > Actually, I think I know where there might be one. Drop me an email,
    > and I'll let you know if it is still there when I can have a look.
    >
    > Tim

    A quick search on EBay will locate one or two

    Mick

    Mick, Mar 11, 2007
  16. Ian Richardson

    Mick Guest

    Ian Richardson wrote:

    > I'm looking to replace our NTL telephone service with a VOIP one
    > using the NTL broadband connection I've got.
    >
    > I guess I could use an analogue telephone adapter (ATA), and use my
    > existing PSTN-based DECT answerphone.
    >
    > I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with SIP@Home-enabled
    > DD-WRT (so I could then use a SIP-enabled wifi phone for around the
    > house), but as the cost of a standalone ATA appears to be about as
    > much as a replacement wireless router with built-in ATA, I'm also up
    > for any suggestions on replacing the router (as long as I can also
    > flash it with DD-WRT).
    >
    > The only pain is that I also have a Sky HD box connected to the
    > existing phone line. Rather than replace the existing wired extension
    > with an alternative, it looks like I could use a wireless phone
    > extender (specifically the one advertised on
    > http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=55456,
    > as most sites claim that alternatives don't work with Sky+ or SkyHD
    > boxes). Unless, of course, anyone knows differently.
    >
    > Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL
    > telephone number could be used with the VOIP provider?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ian

    Ian

    I'm on NTL / Vigin Media and I gave up my phone line with them in
    favour of VOIP -I started with Sipgate and quickly changed to
    Voip.co.uk for a much better service.

    I use my mobile as an emergency backup.

    I bought a Linksys SPA1001 and plugged that into my cable router. Easy
    to set up -like you I was a complete newbie at this -but it was quite
    simple -I asked acouple of questions on this forum and was put straight
    on some minor issues.

    No problems with the service.

    As for SKY - I too have HD and I was sent a letter stating that my
    phone line wasn't working and it needed sorting to comply with the
    contract.

    I pointed out that I did have a phone line, but because it was VOIP, it
    wasn't going to let their Skybox modenm connect with their server due
    to speed issues.
    They simply replied along the lines of "no problem - consider it a
    closed matter". Obviously it is something they will have to cater for
    as more and more people begin to use Voip ....... so .... don't worry
    about Sky.

    Mick Richardson (I assume no relation!)

    Mick, Mar 11, 2007
  17. Ian Richardson

    Guest

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:22 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:

    >I started with Sipgate and quickly changed to
    >Voip.co.uk for a much better service.

    Oh come on Mick you damn well know that with Sipgate you have need to
    part with cash in order to make calls to 01/02 numbers other than to
    other sipgate users anytime 24/7. You have the extreme pleasure of
    having to send emails when you need to contact them regarding anything
    at all and have to wait until they wake up and reply and you also know
    that Sipgate does afford its customers many other attributes that no
    other voip provider gives to its customers like complete loss of
    service for days on end in some instances .
    Now with boring old voip.co.uk all you get is excellent service hardly
    any down time ( last weeks was the first in two years that I am aware
    of ) free calls to any Geographical number in the UK every evening and
    weekend to the world in fact if you dial 01635 578562 and follow the
    instructions .
    So Mick how the hell can voip.co.uk be giving you and others myself
    included a much better service than Sipgate God some people are never
    satisfied !! .

    , Mar 11, 2007
  18. Ian Richardson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:22 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > I started with Sipgate and quickly changed to
    > > Voip.co.uk for a much better service.

    > Oh come on Mick you damn well know that with Sipgate you
    > have need to part with cash in order to make calls to
    > 01/02 numbers other than to other sipgate users anytime
    > 24/7.

    Shock..! Horror..! Hold the front page..!

    Phone users being made to pay for phone calls..!

    > You have the extreme pleasure of having to send
    > emails when you need to contact them regarding anything
    > at all and have to wait until they wake up and reply and
    > you also know that Sipgate does afford its customers many
    > other attributes that no other voip provider gives to its
    > customers like complete loss of service for days on end
    > in some instances .

    ONCE, Ron - the best part of two full years ago. You haven't been a
    customer for at least a year IIRC, how would you know what the service is
    like NOW..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 11, 2007
  19. Ian Richardson

    Guest

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:08:52 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >ONCE, Ron - the best part of two full years ago. You haven't been a
    >customer for at least a year IIRC, how would you know what the service is
    >like NOW..?

    From what I read here and elsewhere , this forum isn't the only one
    which covers VOIP Ivor and there are may voip subscribers that do not
    subscribe to this forum but do subacribe to others .

    , Mar 11, 2007
  20. Mick wrote:
    > Ian Richardson wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking to replace our NTL telephone service with a VOIP one
    >> using the NTL broadband connection I've got.
    >>
    >> I guess I could use an analogue telephone adapter (ATA), and use my
    >> existing PSTN-based DECT answerphone.
    >>
    >> I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with SIP@Home-enabled
    >> DD-WRT (so I could then use a SIP-enabled wifi phone for around the
    >> house), but as the cost of a standalone ATA appears to be about as
    >> much as a replacement wireless router with built-in ATA, I'm also up
    >> for any suggestions on replacing the router (as long as I can also
    >> flash it with DD-WRT).
    >>
    >> The only pain is that I also have a Sky HD box connected to the
    >> existing phone line. Rather than replace the existing wired extension
    >> with an alternative, it looks like I could use a wireless phone
    >> extender (specifically the one advertised on
    >> http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=55456,
    >> as most sites claim that alternatives don't work with Sky+ or SkyHD
    >> boxes). Unless, of course, anyone knows differently.
    >>
    >> Oh, and is there a way of doing this such that my existing NTL
    >> telephone number could be used with the VOIP provider?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Ian
    >
    > I'm on NTL / Vigin Media and I gave up my phone line with them in
    > favour of VOIP -I started with Sipgate and quickly changed to
    > Voip.co.uk for a much better service.
    >
    > I use my mobile as an emergency backup.
    >
    > I bought a Linksys SPA1001 and plugged that into my cable router. Easy
    > to set up -like you I was a complete newbie at this -but it was quite
    > simple -I asked acouple of questions on this forum and was put
    > straight on some minor issues.
    >
    > No problems with the service.
    >
    > As for SKY - I too have HD and I was sent a letter stating that my
    > phone line wasn't working and it needed sorting to comply with the
    > contract.
    >
    > I pointed out that I did have a phone line, but because it was VOIP,
    > it wasn't going to let their Skybox modenm connect with their server
    > due to speed issues.
    > They simply replied along the lines of "no problem - consider it a
    > closed matter". Obviously it is something they will have to cater for
    > as more and more people begin to use Voip ....... so .... don't worry
    > about Sky.
    >
    > Mick Richardson (I assume no relation!)

    Some people have managed to get Sky boxes phoning home on VoIP, Sky
    aren't liking it too much as it means you could have multi-room and have
    the boxes in different houses, even in different countries, and it would
    appear to Sky they are in the same house.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 11, 2007