    computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).
    3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

    C S

    Cap Smith, May 21, 2006

  2. Cap Smith

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Cap Smith wrote:
    > I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
    > X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my computer
    > switched on.
    >
    > 1. What equipment do I need?

    You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
    Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
    router so it can connect to Sipgate.

    > 2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
    > computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

    If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
    abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.

    > 3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

    Yes.

    Paul Cupis, May 21, 2006

  3. Cap Smith

    Cap Smith Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > Cap Smith wrote:
    >> I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
    >> X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my
    >> computer
    >> switched on.
    >>
    >> 1. What equipment do I need?

    > You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
    > Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
    > router so it can connect to Sipgate.
    >
    >> 2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
    >> computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

    > If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
    > abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.
    >
    >> 3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

    > Yes.

    Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a SIP phone?

    Cap Smith, May 21, 2006
  4. Cap Smith

    Alex Guest

    "Cap Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    >> Cap Smith wrote:
    >>> I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
    >>> X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my
    >>> computer
    >>> switched on.
    >>>
    >>> 1. What equipment do I need?

    >> You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
    >> Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
    >> router so it can connect to Sipgate.
    >>
    >>> 2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
    >>> computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

    >> If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
    >> abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.
    >>
    >>> 3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

    >> Yes.

    > Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a SIP phone?

    A sip phone plugs into your router / ethernet socket of your internet
    connection and works like a normal phone on your sipgate line. You are
    however always have to use *that* phone. If you get an ATA (eg sipura spa
    2000, grandstream 486- theres something for you to google) that plugs into
    your internet connection, does all the fancy work and then you can plug any
    normal house phone into that, be it a corded one, or a dect phone so its
    then a wireless line, connect it to multiple feeds in your house etc, so
    your not limited to the same physical phone.

    Alex, May 21, 2006
  5. Cap Smith

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message
    > "Cap Smith" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a
    > > SIP phone?

    > A sip phone plugs into your router / ethernet socket of
    > your internet connection and works like a normal phone on
    > your sipgate line. You are however always have to use
    > *that* phone. If you get an ATA (eg sipura spa 2000,
    > grandstream 486- theres something for you to google) that
    > plugs into your internet connection, does all the fancy
    > work and then you can plug any normal house phone into
    > that, be it a corded one, or a dect phone so its then a
    > wireless line, connect it to multiple feeds in your house
    > etc, so your not limited to the same physical phone.

    Also to the OP please be aware that for SIP to work properly you will need
    access to a broadband internet connection - either a dedicated SIP phone
    or an ATA will need to plug into an Ethernet socket on your router or a
    hub/switch attached somewhere to the network..

    If you're using Sipgate take a look at their shop page, there are few good
    items there, or www.voxilla.com has a wealth of information as well.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 21, 2006
  6. Cap Smith

    Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 13:57:03 +0100, "Cap Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >Can you recommend a SIP phone?

    I can recommend not a SIP phone. It's both cheaper and better to buy
    an ATA and a phone separately.

    , May 21, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 May 2006 13:57:03 +0100, "Cap Smith" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Can you recommend a SIP phone?

    > I can recommend not a SIP phone. It's both cheaper and better to buy
    > an ATA and a phone separately.

    I've got some SIP phones here that are £35 + p&p.

    There are advantages to each solution though.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 21, 2006
  8. Cap Smith

    Chris Davies Guest

    Thomas Kenyon <> wrote:
    > I've got some SIP phones here that are £35 + p&p.

    URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
    as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
    they feel".)

    Thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Davies, May 22, 2006
  9. Chris Davies wrote:
    > Thomas Kenyon <> wrote:
    >> I've got some SIP phones here that are £35 + p&p.

    > URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
    > as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
    > they feel".)

    Actually they feel quite nice.

    I've never used them with the SIP firmware on, but they seem to be fine
    as IAX phones. (problem in current firmware with attended transfers, but
    I'm told that is only with the IAX firmware).

    They have no bells or whistles, (not the PoE model and no headset port
    and not the version with 2 ethernet ports) but they seem to just work.
    (Using 2 at home and 11 at work).

    http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_At320EE.html

    or

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/AT-320

    Thomas Kenyon, May 22, 2006
  10. Cap Smith

    alexd Guest

    Chris Davies wrote:

    > Thomas Kenyon <> wrote:
    >> I've got some SIP phones here that are £35 + p&p.

    > URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
    > as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
    > they feel".)

    They've got a nice big clear [unlit] display, and the sound quality is
    pretty good. The web interface is a bit pidgin, but they've allegedly open
    sourced the firmware so hopefully that'll change soon. Some aspects are
    annoying, like having to press 3 buttons to do a 'speed' dial, but there
    isn't really anything major wrong with the phone.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:41:45 up 2 days, 11:38, 0 users, load average: 0.15, 0.12, 0.09

    alexd, May 22, 2006
  11. alexd wrote:
    > Chris Davies wrote:
    >
    >> Thomas Kenyon <> wrote:
    >>> I've got some SIP phones here that are £35 + p&p.

    >> URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
    >> as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
    >> they feel".)

    > They've got a nice big clear [unlit] display, and the sound quality is
    > pretty good. The web interface is a bit pidgin, but they've allegedly open
    > sourced the firmware so hopefully that'll change soon. Some aspects are
    > annoying, like having to press 3 buttons to do a 'speed' dial, but there
    > isn't really anything major wrong with the phone.

    The source is available at www.aredfox.com.

    I may have the full URL kicking about somewhere.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 22, 2006