Advice please getting Voip to work.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by harrogate3, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. harrogate3

    harrogate3 Guest

    Greetings,

    I have just signed up with voip.co.uk and pending getting an ATA I'm
    trying to use the X-Lite softphone (also I note supplied with
    Sipgate.)

    Curiously it works perfectly with incoming calls - ringing, good both
    way audio, clears down OK - but I cannot, try as I may, get it to work
    outgoing. When I cold start X-Lite the screen shows 'discovering
    network' and then a few seconds later 'registering' followed finally
    by 'ready' and my account number.

    If I try to male a call it says 'calling' but after a while goes to
    'disconnected - request timeout'

    Voip sent me a set-up file for X-lite which I had largely got right
    already. I am using ZoneAlarm (under XP Pro) as firewall to which I
    have added voip as a trusted site, and I am running through a Belkin
    F5D7230-4 wireless router although this particular PC is hard wired.
    My ISP is ntlworld.

    Anyone got any advice?

    --
    Woody

    harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
    harrogate3, Mar 7, 2007

  2. harrogate3

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "harrogate3" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have just signed up with voip.co.uk and pending getting
    > an ATA I'm trying to use the X-Lite softphone (also I
    > note supplied with Sipgate.)

    If you open a Sipgate account you can download a pre-configured version of
    X-Lite. Maybe worth a try to see if it's a provider issue.

    > Curiously it works perfectly with incoming calls -
    > ringing, good both way audio, clears down OK - but I
    > cannot, try as I may, get it to work outgoing. When I
    > cold start X-Lite the screen shows 'discovering network'
    > and then a few seconds later 'registering' followed
    > finally by 'ready' and my account number.
    >
    > If I try to male a call it says 'calling' but after a
    > while goes to 'disconnected - request timeout'
    >
    > Voip sent me a set-up file for X-lite which I had largely
    > got right already. I am using ZoneAlarm (under XP Pro) as
    > firewall to which I have added voip as a trusted site,
    > and I am running through a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless
    > router although this particular PC is hard wired. My ISP
    > is ntlworld.
    >
    > Anyone got any advice?

    Have you enabled port forwarding from the router to the IP of the computer
    you're running X-Lite on..? Try putting that machine in the router's DMZ
    if it has one.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 8, 2007