advice please for purchasing a computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by KennyG, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. KennyG

    KennyG Guest

    Hi, I am looking at purchasing a new DeskTop but not sure whether to get it
    made up from Dell Computers or purchase a Model from a Shop.

    any ideas?

    Next: Is Dual CPU 1.6 Faster than Single CPU 3.4?

    I am intending to use the computer for making up our own DVD home movies of
    our trips and families.

    At present i am using a laptop 40 GB HD, 512 Ram 2.4 CPU.

    It is just a little slow.

    Idea's from anyone in the know i would appreciate before making a stupid
    purchase. I reckon i need at least 1 GB Ram minimum, 160 GB HDD. but am not
    clear on the CPU thing.

    thanks
    ken
    KennyG, Nov 9, 2006

  2. KennyG

    grappletech Guest

    Yeah, it appears that the dual core CPU's are at least as twice as fast as
    single core CPU's in multimedia benchmarks (even if the single core
    operates at twice the frequency speed). If you wait another 6 months or
    so, the prices will drop, but hey, if you can afford it now, might as well
    get one now. Only live once.

    I am not a hardcore gamer (I only play games like Asteroids, Pong, etc.
    that'd even play on a 486DX) and I don't crunch video, so I'm still using a
    4 year old AMD Athlon XP 1.8 gigahertz CPU which are going for $40 on ebay!

    grappletech, Nov 11, 2006