    Any advice or links much appreciated.
    cheers,
    JB

    JB, Oct 20, 2004

  2. JB wrote:
    > I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
    > combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

    C765-Z or
    > maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

    similar. Are
    > there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

    bargains
    > on either of these cameras?
    > Any advice or links much appreciated.

    I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
    stabilization or tripod. If your budget and inclinations permit it then
    buy the Canon 300D or go for the Panasonic FZ-20 that has image
    stabilization lenses.

    If you are just looking for a good P&S and don't need the extra zoom
    then look at Canon A80/A95. Very good value for money.
    Cheers,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 20, 2004

  3. JB

    dj_nme Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > JB wrote:
    >
    >>I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
    >>combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

    > C765-Z or
    >
    >>maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

    > similar. Are
    >
    >>there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

    > bargains
    >
    >>on either of these cameras?
    >>Any advice or links much appreciated.

    > I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
    > stabilization or tripod. If your budget and inclinations permit it then
    > buy the Canon 300D or go for the Panasonic FZ-20 that has image
    > stabilization lenses.
    >
    > If you are just looking for a good P&S and don't need the extra zoom
    > then look at Canon A80/A95. Very good value for money.
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Siddhartha

    I use a Minolta Dimage 7i and am quite satisfied with it.
    The Dimage A1 (5mp) or A2 (8mp) would seem like an even better deal,
    with a 7x zoom and image stabilization.
    Neither are DSLRs, but have fairly good EVF and a 4x magnified mode for
    manual focusing (if you want to).

    dj_nme, Oct 20, 2004
  4. JB

    JB Guest

    "dj_nme" <> wrote in message
    > Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > > JB wrote:
    > >
    > >>I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
    > >>combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

    > > C765-Z or
    > >
    > >>maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

    > > similar. Are
    > >
    > >>there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

    > > bargains
    > >
    > >>on either of these cameras?
    > >>Any advice or links much appreciated.

    > > I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
    > > stabilization or tripod. If your budget and inclinations permit it then
    > > buy the Canon 300D or go for the Panasonic FZ-20 that has image
    > > stabilization lenses.
    > >
    > > If you are just looking for a good P&S and don't need the extra zoom
    > > then look at Canon A80/A95. Very good value for money.
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Siddhartha
    > >

    > I use a Minolta Dimage 7i and am quite satisfied with it.
    > The Dimage A1 (5mp) or A2 (8mp) would seem like an even better deal,
    > with a 7x zoom and image stabilization.
    > Neither are DSLRs, but have fairly good EVF and a 4x magnified mode for
    > manual focusing (if you want to).

    Many thanks for the advice

    JB

    JB, Oct 20, 2004
  5. JB

    cc0112453 Guest

    You are looking at two completely different cameras. It would depend on how
    much your wife is into photography. If she were planning on doing "serious"
    photographic work and is going to be taking classes or already has
    experience as a photographer then a more professional camera such as the
    EOS300D might be appropriate. She may not need that much camera. Consider
    also that it is a large piece of equipment and that if you aren't a
    dedicated photographer, the size of it is going to get old real soon. If on
    the other hand she just likes to take decent pictures, not sweat the details
    so much and wants a decent zoom the Olympus 765-Z is a great choice. One
    other thing to consider if a huge zoom isn't a factor is one of the smaller
    cameras that are out there such as the Canon S70 (4x optical)or one of the
    smaller Olympus models. If you aren't doing studio work (and even if you
    are) they take excellent pictures. Nice thing about the smaller cameras is
    that you actually remember to take them with you.

    cc0112453, Oct 20, 2004
  6. JB

    GT40 Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:01:38 +0100, "JB" <> wrote:

    >I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
    >combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
    >maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar. Are
    >there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to bargains
    >on either of these cameras?

    Nothing has been annouced on the low end of the Canon lineup, as they
    are just about to release the 1DsMark2

    GT40, Oct 20, 2004
  7. JB

    Ron Recer Guest

    >From: "cc0112453"
    >Date: 10/20/2004 9:01 AM Central Standard Time

    I agree with Doug and in addition, keep in mind that the DSLRs require more
    maintenance (sensor cleaning) and are heavier than point & shoot cameras.
    Also, if you take advantage of the DSLRs features, such as RAW, it will take
    more post processing than using jpeg.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Oct 20, 2004
  8. JB

    Alex Butcher Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:52:46 -0700, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > JB wrote:
    >> I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
    >> combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus

    > C765-Z or
    >> maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or

    > similar. Are
    >> there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to

    > bargains
    >> on either of these cameras?
    >> Any advice or links much appreciated.

    > I have an Olympus C-750. The 10x zoom is mostly useless without
    > stabilization or tripod.

    With practise, good lighting, and a bit of care, it's possible to use the
    full zoom range. Things that help include setting a fast exposure, using
    your surroundings - walls, trees and suchlike - for support, lowering
    your centre of gravity by squatting, and paying attention to your
    breathing.

    That said, even a cheap, light tripod (e.g. 20 quid from Jessops) helps.

    > Siddhartha

    Best Regards,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
    Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

    Alex Butcher, Oct 20, 2004
  9. JB

    Alan Browne Guest

    JB wrote:

    > I am looking to get a digicam with decent optical zoom for my wife's
    > combined birthday/xmas pressie and was looking at either Olympus C765-Z or
    > maybe if I can find the extra cash, possibly a Canon EOS300D or similar. Are
    > there any new models coming out soon in this area which may lead to bargains
    > on either of these cameras?
    > Any advice or links much appreciated.

    It really depends on your wife's interest and needs. If she is a happy
    snapshooter, then something along the lines of a Canon SD300 might really be the
    ticket.

    This a gift to her ... not you!

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Oct 20, 2004
  10. JB

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "cc0112453" <> wrote in message

    > ...Nice thing about the smaller cameras is
    > that you actually remember to take them with you. ...

    Absolutely. Before digital, my film cameras included a
    Mamiya 6x6 twin lens reflex, a Minolta 35mm with big 28-200
    zoom, and a small, lightweight, Olympus point and shoot.

    Guess which one I carried with me?

    I wound up with many more photos taken by the Olympus
    than by either of the other cameras.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Oct 20, 2004
  11. Alex Butcher wrote:
    > With practise, good lighting, and a bit of care, it's possible to use

    the
    > full zoom range. Things that help include setting a fast exposure,

    using
    > your surroundings - walls, trees and suchlike - for support, lowering
    > your centre of gravity by squatting, and paying attention to your
    > breathing.
    >
    > That said, even a cheap, light tripod (e.g. 20 quid from Jessops)

    helps.

    Thanks for the tips but its too late. I just finished packing my
    Olympus C-750 for shipping it to the guy I sold it too ;-) And a month
    from now I should get a Canon Digital Rebel. Yayy!! :)
    Cheers,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 21, 2004