    offer any advantages over the A80 or is the A80 still a better model.

    Thanks in advance,

    Andy

    Andrew Portess, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Andrew Portess

    WP Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:06:45 +0100, Andrew Portess wrote:

    > I would like to purchase a digtial camera and the Canon Powershot range
    > above have caught my eye. I appreciate that they are a little bulkier
    > than some digital cameras but I think I would prefer that. Here in the UK
    > the A70 retails for around £198 and the A75 for A199 so I can easily
    > knock the A70 off my list. My question is should I go for the older A80
    > (£229) or the newer A75. With the exception of mega-pixels does the A75
    > (being newer) offer any advantages over the A80 or is the A80 still a
    > better model.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Andy

    Canon seems to release their cameras in pairs. The A40 and A50 were
    replaced with the A60 and A70 respectively. They came out with the A75
    (larger LCD screen than the A70) but, I'm not sure if they release an A85
    (none showed on the PowerShot home page). With the release of the A75
    they are no longer producing the A70. I have the A70 and like it a lot.
    I think the only difference between the A70 and the A75 is the screen size
    and the button configuration on the back. The A75 button setup is similar
    to Kodak. I personally don't like that configuration and like the setup of
    the A70. The button style of the A75 just seems to give me the cheap
    feeling when I handle it and I would think that you could accidently
    select something scrolling through the menus a lot easier.

    Just my .02 worth.

    WP, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Andrew Portess

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Andrew Portess" <> wrote in message
    > I would like to purchase a digtial camera and the Canon Powershot range
    > above have caught my eye. I appreciate that they are a little bulkier

    than
    > some digital cameras but I think I would prefer that. Here in the UK the
    > A70 retails for around £198 and the A75 for A199 so I can easily knock the
    > A70 off my list. My question is should I go for the older A80 (£229) or

    the
    > newer A75. With the exception of mega-pixels does the A75 (being newer)
    > offer any advantages over the A80 or is the A80 still a better model.

    Haven't used an A75 but I have used an A80 at work, a lot. It produces
    excellent pictures and offers plenty of manual controls. The only thing it
    lacks is a hot shoe, so I bought a G5 when I spent my own money.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Andrew Portess

    Colin Guest

    I have an A70, and my daughter an A75 so have used both hands on.

    Both take the same (brilliant) quality of pictures, though the larger screen
    on the A75 is a real improvement, and there are few more nice extras in the
    menu system too.

    I would go for the A75, unless you think the extra pixels on the A80 are
    really worth having. Unless you want to enlarge pictures a lot, or produce
    really big prints, I doubt that it is worth the extra money.

    This Canon range I think is the best value around.

    Colin

    Colin, Apr 26, 2004