Advice please-C\windows\prefetch dodgy file

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by tarquinlinbin, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. I found the following item in c\windows\prefetch folder of my xp pro
    installation

    MStaskc.exe

    I beleive that it is a malicious item. My reason is that it has
    previously been found loaded into c:\windows\system32 folder and
    attempting to communicate via my broadband connection. It looked like
    a DNS attack. When i scanned the file in system 32 folder norton said
    it was infected with the backdoor.smother trojan.it attempted
    repair,failed then said quarantined. On subsequent reboots it would
    re-appear again and again try outbound connects. NIS 2004 was blocking
    this but in doing so was drinig cpu useage to 100% leading to
    effective lockup of the pc. I again used NAV on it,quarantined
    it,removed its entry from the registry and powered off the pc by
    pulling the plug,just in case it was memory resident and recreated
    itself at shut down. Subsequent reboots show it is still no longer in
    the registry,nor is it in sys32 folder but it still shows in the
    prefetch folder. Scanning it with NAV in prefetch doesnt show a
    problem,but whats prefetch all about?

    ta

    joe
    tarquinlinbin, Jun 22, 2004

  2. tarquinlinbin

    *Vanguard* Guest

    tarquinlinbin said in news::
    > I found the following item in c\windows\prefetch folder of my xp pro
    > installation
    >
    > MStaskc.exe
    >
    > I beleive that it is a malicious item. My reason is that it has
    > previously been found loaded into c:\windows\system32 folder and
    > attempting to communicate via my broadband connection. It looked like
    > a DNS attack. When i scanned the file in system 32 folder norton said
    > it was infected with the backdoor.smother trojan.it attempted
    > repair,failed then said quarantined. On subsequent reboots it would
    > re-appear again and again try outbound connects. NIS 2004 was blocking
    > this but in doing so was drinig cpu useage to 100% leading to
    > effective lockup of the pc. I again used NAV on it,quarantined
    > it,removed its entry from the registry and powered off the pc by
    > pulling the plug,just in case it was memory resident and recreated
    > itself at shut down. Subsequent reboots show it is still no longer in
    > the registry,nor is it in sys32 folder but it still shows in the
    > prefetch folder. Scanning it with NAV in prefetch doesnt show a
    > problem,but whats prefetch all about?
    >
    > ta
    >
    > joe

    From a Google search on "Windows XP prefetch folder", a couple of the
    articles found were:

    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-07.html
    http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/tech/0,39006407,39172453,00.htm

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    *Vanguard*, Jun 22, 2004