ADVICE PLEASE - ANY LONDON/UK MCSAs/MCSEs.

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by NickCareerChange, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. ADVICE PLEASE!!!

    I'm a 35 yo career changer(LONDON BASED) with a BAHONS Economics. I'm very
    interested in doing an mcsa, i'm fairly computer literate. Passed an Ecdl to
    get started. I could study from home but feel a tutor led course may be
    quicker & may have job placement advantages......SEVERAL QUESTIONS ARISE....

    1.any UK, LONDON MCSAs out there - how did u get qualified?-IT trainer or
    homestudy??

    2. Can u recomend any decent London IT trainers ??- so many out there-all
    with a hard sell. Are their any to avoid??

    3. What is the job market like in LONDON/UK??(are MCSAs in demand?). Many
    trainers say they guarantee u a job......

    4.What is a realistic starting salary for a beginner MCSA?? Then after
    several years??

    5. If I pass all my exams via home study will I be at a disadvantage in the
    labour market??

    6. How do i go about getting my first job??? Good Agencies for beginners??

    Any serious comments on any/all these specific points would be gratefully
    received & greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

    NickD (LONDON)

    --
    ickCareerChange
    NickCareerChange, Jan 17, 2006

  2. NickCareerChange

    Slave Guest

    Nick,

    1. I am not MCSA qualified but am interested in following this path

    2. I have attended Spring IT in London, they are reputable but any class
    room training is prohibitively expensive

    3.The job market is still competitive but in reasonable shape

    4. Not too sure possibly 20 - 28K

    5. No disadvantages to home study - if you seek MCSA passing is all that
    matters but weigh up th cost

    6. Avoid agencies as much as possible and network with friends, apply
    directly to companies where possible.

    My advice, spend the money a class room course would cost on some PCs and do
    self study. You may have to start in a low role to gain your experience
    despite attaining MCSA experience. Around 2 years industry experience
    combined with some Microsoft Quals is a reasonable starting point to begin
    working your way up

    Good Luck

    Slave, Jan 18, 2006

  3. NickCareerChange

    Dave Guest

    <snip>
    > My advice, spend the money a class room course would cost on some PCs and
    > do
    > self study. You may have to start in a low role to gain your experience
    > despite attaining MCSA experience. Around 2 years industry experience
    > combined with some Microsoft Quals is a reasonable starting point to begin
    > working your way up

    Good advice.

    Further to that, if you can afford a decent spec pc (ie high end cpu and
    lots of memory but normal graphics and sound capability) then look into
    vmware/virtual pc as those are great tools for running servers and
    workstations in. See www.vmware.com and
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx for details of the
    free trial versions. On a decent pc you should be able to host a few
    servers and a workstation which is more then enough to get you through the
    requirements of the mcsa/mcse.
    Dave, Jan 22, 2006