Advice on VOIP Service - Sorry if this has been asked 100 times before

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Don, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    I have a home office with two land lines (voice and fax). Our home is
    on a separate land line which will remain as is. I'm interested in a
    service like Vonage but I keep reading both good stories and horror
    stories about VOIP companies. Thanks in advance for any help you can
    provide. My questions are:

    1. I use an older Linksys 802.11b wireless router which serves its
    purpose just fine. Based on what I saw at Vonage that router is not a
    supported router. Do I have to upgrade the router to do all this?

    2. I'd like to keep the same two numbers but again I keep reading
    horror stories on getting a number transferred. How difficult is this
    and do I have to now pay for VOIP and the land line company while this
    transfer takes place?

    3. In researching the different VOIP services it seems that Vonage
    offers the best quality in voice, billing and features. I am certainly
    not looking for the cheapest because I'm a firm believer that you get
    what you pay for. So I'm open to any suggestions here.

    4. On my land line bill the government rapes and pillages me each
    month with tons of taxes and fees. Will this be true on a VOIP bill?
    If the service costs $24.99 a month how fat will that bill be after
    the government gets its slice?

    I'm aware of the phone not working with the power off or my cable
    internet connection dead. I'm also aware of the 911 issues which is
    why our home line would remain as is.

    Thanks again for your help.
    Don

    Don, Jan 2, 2006

  2. >1. I use an older Linksys 802.11b wireless router which serves its
    >purpose just fine. Based on what I saw at Vonage that router is not a
    >supported router. Do I have to upgrade the router to do all this?

    Nope. Assuming your router has a free ethernet plug, you can plug
    a Vonage box into it.

    >2. I'd like to keep the same two numbers but again I keep reading
    >horror stories on getting a number transferred. How difficult is this
    >and do I have to now pay for VOIP and the land line company while this
    >transfer takes place?

    You do pay for both the old and new service until porting is done.
    How hard it is and how long it takes depends on who the old telco is
    and on a lot of random luck.

    >3. In researching the different VOIP services it seems that Vonage
    >offers the best quality in voice, billing and features.

    My experience with Vonage was that early on the quality was OK, but
    the voice quality deteriorated to the point where I couldn't
    understand anyone, and I was completely unable to contact anyone at
    Vonage to help, so I cancelled it and switched to Lingo which has been
    fine. (The only way I got Vonage's attention to cancel the service
    was to turn off the credit card number they were billing.) Porting
    the number from Vonage to Lingo took about a week.

    >4. On my land line bill the government rapes and pillages me each
    >month with tons of taxes and fees. Will this be true on a VOIP bill?

    When I had them, it was just the 3% federal tax, but how about calling
    Vonage and asking them? That'll also give you a feeling for whether
    their customers service is any good.

    R's,
    John

    John R. Levine, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Don

    Sam Marlison Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message

    > 4. On my land line bill the government rapes and pillages
    > me each
    > month with tons of taxes and fees. Will this be true on a
    > VOIP bill?
    > If the service costs $24.99 a month how fat will that bill
    > be after
    > the government gets its slice?

    The is no monthly charge for Skype. Just buy a SkypeIn
    number for $30/year. Get more than one number if you want.
    Get one in the city where your kid is in college so they can
    call you for free.
    I am very pleased with the quality and when I buy $10 worth
    of calls (at $0.022 per minute) my credit card is billed
    $10. No taxes, no fees, no charge for not publishing my
    phone number.

    Sam Marlison, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:42:23 GMT, "Sam Marlison"
    <> wrote:

    >The is no monthly charge for Skype. Just buy a SkypeIn
    >number for $30/year. Get more than one number if you want.
    >Get one in the city where your kid is in college so they can
    >call you for free.
    >I am very pleased with the quality and when I buy $10 worth
    >of calls (at $0.022 per minute) my credit card is billed
    >$10. No taxes, no fees, no charge for not publishing my
    >phone number.

    Skype is awesome no doubt. The quality of my calls to friends in
    Sydney is better than a land line phone. And I also use Skype out to
    call land line phones or cell phones. However the quality of SkypeIn
    and Skypeout isn't nearly as good as PC to PC using Skype. SkypeIn
    forces me to sit by the computer to receive calls. It is ok but it is
    no replacement for regular phone service.

    Don, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Don

    Marc Popek Guest

    Many folks enjoy the combination of a land line, wired and a VOIP box for
    long distance. This creates to "ports" or locations where you plug a phone
    into, the voip and the pstn (old phone network). There is a device called
    "combine-a-line" that address this need, at low cost, and high sound
    fidelity, also has surge protector on all line to protect your equipment.
    So you can combine the voip and pstn, two voip ports, or twp pstn lines,
    into a single combined line. The unit does not use batteries or wall wart
    power, this reduces desktop clutter, and reduces the noise associated with
    the wall wart power supply.

    Marc

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5849379651&ssPageNam
    e=STRK:MESE:IT