Advice on VOIP router

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Alex, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    I'm currently using a router with an ATA attached to one of its ports. Its
    quite bad, no QOS and the router has about died. So its time for a new
    router and I want to get one with built in VOIP.

    Has anyone any recommendations? I need a 4 port wireless router, for use
    with cable so no ADSL ones. The ability for it to be able to give enough QOS
    for voice when heavy downloads are going on is *extremely* important. I
    cannot control when my housemates download from bit-torrent and currently
    the VOIP is useless when they are doing so. I have a grandstream 486 which
    is meant to do QOS if its put infront of the router, but it does a pants job
    and keeps crashing even on the newest firmware (so I changed it to be a
    slave off one of the router ports).

    I've looked at an unlocked Linksys WRT54GP but it seems that as it is
    unlocked there is no firmware upgrade and support for it. I've also looked
    at the Draytek 2100VG as that seems fairly well thought of in this group
    however it seems very expensive (approx £100) for what seems a relatively
    basic router (ie no print server or QOS settings), plus the draytek website
    seems slightly unprofessional and the fact its only avaliable from a select
    few places (not ebuyer, dabs, maplin, pcworld where you would normally find
    a well known product) does worry me slightly.

    Any advice would be welcome, especially if you've used it whilst having a
    torrent downloading, as our uplink cable bandwidth is like gold dust and the
    router will need to fight for it!

    Ta

    Alex, Oct 29, 2005

  2. "Alex" <> wrote in message

    > Has anyone any recommendations? I need a 4 port wireless router, for use
    > with cable so no ADSL ones. The ability for it to be able to give enough

    QOS
    > for voice when heavy downloads are going on is *extremely* important. I
    > cannot control when my housemates download from bit-torrent and currently
    > the VOIP is useless when they are doing so.

    Have a look at the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 from AVM (www.avm.de)
    This device is a combined ADSL Modem + Router + WLAN + PABX + VOIP
    You can desable the ADSL Modem, thus using as a router only (after a Cable
    modem)
    It works perfect here, with 6 SIP accounts registered ...
    The Box has a analogue and ISDN incoming port, and 3 analogue + ISDN out
    2 LAN connections (you need a switch if you need 4) + USB + WLAN

    I believe this will solve your problems !

    Philippe
    Belgium
    SIP:

    Philippe Deleye, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Alex

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Philippe Deleye" <>
    wrote in message
    > "Alex" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Has anyone any recommendations? I need a 4 port
    > > wireless router, for use with cable so no ADSL ones.
    > > The ability for it to be able to give enough QOS for
    > > voice when heavy downloads are going on is *extremely*
    > > important. I cannot control when my housemates download
    > > from bit-torrent and currently the VOIP is useless when
    > > they are doing so.

    > Have a look at the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 from AVM
    > (www.avm.de)
    > This device is a combined ADSL Modem + Router + WLAN +
    > PABX + VOIP
    > You can desable the ADSL Modem, thus using as a router
    > only (after a Cable modem)
    > It works perfect here, with 6 SIP accounts registered ...
    > The Box has a analogue and ISDN incoming port, and 3
    > analogue + ISDN out 2 LAN connections (you need a switch
    > if you need 4) + USB + WLAN
    >
    > I believe this will solve your problems !
    >
    > Philippe
    > Belgium
    > SIP:

    Not a good idea to publish your number on here, Phillippe..!

    BTW use www.avm.de/en if you want the site in English :)

    Agreed an excellent piece of kit, although mine isn't the wireless
    version.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Alex

    Martin² Guest

    Draytek is 'office quality' kit, hence not cheap.
    You can get them from broadbanduyer.co.uk (£95.10), wireless4u.co.uk and
    quite few other online stores.
    But you can find them on Ebay at half price, which is how I bought mine. My
    previous 2600We hasn't missed a bit for two years, so I was confident the
    newer 2600VG will be OK, and it is.
    The 2100VG is bit rare, but there is 2900VG on sale right now.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 30, 2005
  5. Alex

    Ben Jones Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message
    > I'm currently using a router with an ATA attached to one of its ports. Its
    > quite bad, no QOS and the router has about died. So its time for a new
    > router and I want to get one with built in VOIP.
    >
    > Has anyone any recommendations? I need a 4 port wireless router, for use
    > with cable so no ADSL ones. The ability for it to be able to give enough
    > QOS for voice when heavy downloads are going on is *extremely* important.
    > I cannot control when my housemates download from bit-torrent and
    > currently the VOIP is useless when they are doing so. I have a grandstream
    > 486 which is meant to do QOS if its put infront of the router, but it does
    > a pants job and keeps crashing even on the newest firmware (so I changed
    > it to be a slave off one of the router ports).
    >
    > I've looked at an unlocked Linksys WRT54GP but it seems that as it is
    > unlocked there is no firmware upgrade and support for it. I've also looked
    > at the Draytek 2100VG as that seems fairly well thought of in this group
    > however it seems very expensive (approx £100) for what seems a relatively
    > basic router (ie no print server or QOS settings), plus the draytek
    > website seems slightly unprofessional and the fact its only avaliable from
    > a select few places (not ebuyer, dabs, maplin, pcworld where you would
    > normally find a well known product) does worry me slightly.
    >
    > Any advice would be welcome, especially if you've used it whilst having a
    > torrent downloading, as our uplink cable bandwidth is like gold dust and
    > the router will need to fight for it!

    I've got a Vigor 2100VG and have been using it for about 6 months. Updated
    it to the latest firmware the other day (very easy task) though there were
    no problems with the old firmware that I noticed. QOS is fine...I'm on 2Mb
    Blueyonder and never have any problems with calls, even with Limewire
    running at full pelt. Call quality is fantastic, networking is fantastic,
    it's a great piece of kit! I'd say the wireless signal is slightly weaker
    than my old access point that I replaced with the Draytek but it covers my
    house and garden without problems. If there were problems it's got a
    removable aerial so an aerial with a better gain could be used.

    If I needed to buy a wireless router with VoIP capabilities again I wouldn't
    hesitate to buy the Draytek again.

    Hope this helps :eek:)

    Ben

    Ben Jones, Oct 30, 2005