Advice on Video for web

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I am just after some advice on small video clips to save on a website.

    If I have some home video clips that I want to convert to a very small
    file size so people can access them on a website, what would you say
    is the best format to use and convert them into?

    There are a number of different standards and main companies that I
    have looked at. E.G. Real Video using Real Producer, Windows Movie
    Maker (Mpeg?), and Quick Time.

    The video files I have are saved using the ATI software, and it has
    saved them using the Portable recording format. It actually saves the
    files with a .avi extension, however it lists them as MPEG-4, Video
    352 x 288 PAL (625), Audio 44.100 KHz 16 Bit Stereo.

    I have tried using the Real Producer 10 Basic to convert these to a
    Real Video file .rm, however it just seems to convert it to audio
    without also transferring the video for some strange reason.

    I have gone into Windows Movie Maker and it is coming up with errors
    and saying I need to download codecs. I have set the program to auto
    download them, but nothing seems to happen.

    What are your suggestions/ideas on the best format to use and how to
    convert these files?

    I will probably have to save them in a different format to start with
    next time instead of this MPEG-4 Portable nonsense. I believe if I
    just save them in regular Mpeg or Mpeg2, then I perhaps wont have as
    many problems?

    Thanks very much for any suggestion/advice.

    John

    John, Aug 7, 2005

  2. John

    Fakename Guest

    like mpeg. Then run them through whatever converted you'd like.

    Windows media is probably going to be your best bet as it will be
    instant readable by the largest audience, unless your videos are aimed
    at a linux or Mac crowd. Then you would need to use real and quicktime
    respectively.

    Fakename, Aug 8, 2005

  3. "Fakename" <> wrote in message
    > like mpeg. Then run them through whatever converted you'd like.
    >
    > Windows media is probably going to be your best bet as it will be
    > instant readable by the largest audience, unless your videos are aimed
    > at a linux or Mac crowd. Then you would need to use real and quicktime
    > respectively.
    >

    > John wrote:
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > I am just after some advice on small video clips to save on a website.
    > >
    > > If I have some home video clips that I want to convert to a very small
    > > file size so people can access them on a website, what would you say
    > > is the best format to use and convert them into?
    > >
    > > There are a number of different standards and main companies that I
    > > have looked at. E.G. Real Video using Real Producer, Windows Movie
    > > Maker (Mpeg?), and Quick Time.
    > >
    > > The video files I have are saved using the ATI software, and it has
    > > saved them using the Portable recording format. It actually saves the
    > > files with a .avi extension, however it lists them as MPEG-4, Video
    > > 352 x 288 PAL (625), Audio 44.100 KHz 16 Bit Stereo.
    > >
    > > I have tried using the Real Producer 10 Basic to convert these to a
    > > Real Video file .rm, however it just seems to convert it to audio
    > > without also transferring the video for some strange reason.
    > >
    > > I have gone into Windows Movie Maker and it is coming up with errors
    > > and saying I need to download codecs. I have set the program to auto
    > > download them, but nothing seems to happen.
    > >
    > > What are your suggestions/ideas on the best format to use and how to
    > > convert these files?
    > >
    > > I will probably have to save them in a different format to start with
    > > next time instead of this MPEG-4 Portable nonsense. I believe if I
    > > just save them in regular Mpeg or Mpeg2, then I perhaps wont have as
    > > many problems?
    > >
    > > Thanks very much for any suggestion/advice.
    > >
    > > John

    Just some advise, if you do get your video's working you should check out
    http://www.putfile.com it's a free host for files up to 10MB. As far as
    compression, I think you should go with WMP, rather than Quicktime.

    Capt. KillaHo, Aug 15, 2005