    with a 28 -200 or so zoom. The Canon Powershot Pro1 looks intriguing
    but about $250 more than I'd like to spend. Any alternative suggestions
    for a better choice? Thx!!

    Mindful, May 23, 2004

  2. Mindful

    Mr Neil Guest

    If your traveling, I'd go for something small that will fit in your pocket,
    the last thing you want is an extra bag to carry. I wanted something to
    carry round all the time when on holiday and something that wasn't too
    expensive if it was lost or stolen.

    Mr Neil, May 23, 2004

  3. Mindful

    Don Guest

    I don't know how much traveling you've done, but after my first three or
    four trips to Europe with an SLR (film) I opted for a pocket-sized digital,
    a Canon S30. In the quest for more pixels, I've since upgraded to a G2, but
    I think my next will be a smaller one again. On one early trip I even
    carried two bodies loaded with fast and slow film - the lenses fit both.
    That's fine if you're on assignment, I guess, but if it's a vacation you
    tend to see everything through a viewfinder and miss the trip :)

    My experience is that a wide angle is nice, although the distortion with
    most (equivalent) 28mm lenses may be a liitle too much. A long focal length
    is not too useful, since most pictures you take will likely be scenery,
    buildings, inside churches, etc.. Almost everything I take in Europe is
    with the 28-50mm range (equivalent) lenses. The G2 range is 34-102mm
    (equivalent), and I almost *never* use it at the long setting, and not too
    much at the "normal" setting.

    You might look at the Casio EXILIM EX-P600 or the Canon Powershot S500.
    Both are new, and I haven't heard much about them as yet, although the S500
    is very similar to the other S-series which have had very good reviews.
    Take a look at www.dpreview.com for reviews and data.

    BTW get *lots* of big flash cards, or a digital wallet of some kind.

    Don

    ..

    Don, May 23, 2004