    What else can I realistically do before suggesting he tries some data
    recovery pro? (I'm even prepared to boot up in Linux if need be...)

    thanks
    Deano, Jan 12, 2006

  2. Deano

    strumpling Guest

    plug it directly onto your desktop machine as a slave drive...... if
    the bios detects the drive, then recovery software will recover data
    from it.
    strumpling, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Deano wrote:

    > My friend has handed me a hard disk today hoping I can rescue some data
    > off
    > it. It definitely has a mechanical failure somewhere as trying to mount
    > it in Windows (i put it in an enclosure and connected to my laptop via
    > USB) did not work. The initial failure announced itself as a BSOD with a
    > dreaded STOP error, so there's no way it will boot.
    >
    > What else can I realistically do before suggesting he tries some data
    > recovery pro? (I'm even prepared to boot up in Linux if need be...)

    You should not put it in a usb enclosure, find a (old but reliable is
    best) pc with standard ide interface, a big enough harddrive to take the
    image, and a knoppix cd to boot from. dd_rescue will be your friend.
    If you are lucky you can get a image off the drive. Consider it is a
    one-chance-only, so do _not_ mess with the "original" image. Copy it
    again over and work with that copy. Try loop-mounting from linux and see
    if mount can recognize a filesystem then. Get what you can out of that,
    _then_ try fsck and look if you find anything more.
    Prepare a fresh copy of the image on a 2nd partition on your windows pc,
    and run whatever raw recovery program (easyrecovery, file inspector) you
    have, against it.
    Do _not_ overwrite files from any step before you verified them to keep
    the complete one.
    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Deano

    John Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > My friend has handed me a hard disk today hoping I can rescue some data off
    > it. It definitely has a mechanical failure somewhere as trying to mount it
    > in Windows (i put it in an enclosure and connected to my laptop via USB) did
    > not work. The initial failure announced itself as a BSOD with a dreaded STOP
    > error, so there's no way it will boot.
    >
    > What else can I realistically do before suggesting he tries some data
    > recovery pro? (I'm even prepared to boot up in Linux if need be...)
    >
    > thanks

    Stupid advice of the day coming up...

    Put it in the fridge for a bit.

    http://www.meetmyattorney.com/slink/mt-archives/000275.html

    It worked when an old drive of mine packed up, was able to use afterwards to
    get all the data onto another drive.

    Just remember to wait till all the condensation has evaporated.
    John, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Deano

    Deano Guest

    John wrote:
    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    >> My friend has handed me a hard disk today hoping I can rescue some
    >> data off it. It definitely has a mechanical failure somewhere as
    >> trying to mount it in Windows (i put it in an enclosure and
    >> connected to my laptop via USB) did not work. The initial failure
    >> announced itself as a BSOD with a dreaded STOP error, so there's no
    >> way it will boot.
    >>
    >> What else can I realistically do before suggesting he tries some data
    >> recovery pro? (I'm even prepared to boot up in Linux if need be...)
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > Stupid advice of the day coming up...
    >

    > Put it in the fridge for a bit.
    >
    > http://www.meetmyattorney.com/slink/mt-archives/000275.html
    >
    > It worked when an old drive of mine packed up, was able to use
    > afterwards to get all the data onto another drive.
    >
    > Just remember to wait till all the condensation has evaporated.

    Thanks, it's currently in the freezer for a cold chill. I forgot to mention
    it's clicking like hell and I think this is the last resort.
    Deano, Jan 13, 2006
  6. Deano

    Deano Guest

    Deano wrote:
    > My friend has handed me a hard disk today hoping I can rescue some
    > data off it. It definitely has a mechanical failure somewhere as
    > trying to mount it in Windows (i put it in an enclosure and connected
    > to my laptop via USB) did not work. The initial failure announced
    > itself as a BSOD with a dreaded STOP error, so there's no way it will
    > boot.
    >
    > What else can I realistically do before suggesting he tries some data
    > recovery pro? (I'm even prepared to boot up in Linux if need be...)
    >
    > thanks

    Hmmm. I have tried everything but neither Linux nor Windows can see this
    disk. Any recommendations for data recovery services in England, preferably
    London?
    Deano, Jan 13, 2006
  7. Deano

    admin69 Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote:

    >Deano wrote:
    >> My friend has handed me a hard disk today hoping I can rescue some
    >> data off it. It definitely has a mechanical failure somewhere as
    >> trying to mount it in Windows (i put it in an enclosure and connected
    >> to my laptop via USB) did not work. The initial failure announced
    >> itself as a BSOD with a dreaded STOP error, so there's no way it will
    >> boot.
    >>
    >> What else can I realistically do before suggesting he tries some data
    >> recovery pro? (I'm even prepared to boot up in Linux if need be...)
    >>
    >> thanks

    >Hmmm. I have tried everything but neither Linux nor Windows can see this
    >disk. Any recommendations for data recovery services in England, preferably
    >London?

    http://www.datarecoverydoctor.co.uk/5403/index.html
    Along with the 10 rules I forgot to write down.

    Physical disk failure repair is as easy as carving a rocking chair from
    scratch. Send yourself on a flight, but prepare the no results talk.

    Luck be with ya.
    admin69, Jan 14, 2006