Advice on replacement for D-Link DI-624+

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Steve Hawkins, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. Hi all, I'd appreciate some advice before buying a replacement for our
    DI-624+ broadband router.

    This worked just long enough to be out of guarantee before its very hot
    running finally stopped it working - (I tried replacing a melted capacitor
    inside (too close to the processor?) with a bigger one - which seemed to get
    it working for a while longer, but not much...)

    Anyhow, we now have a pc with a DWL - G520+ adaptor in, which we would hope
    to be able to match with something a little more reliable than the DI-624+.

    I would also like to be able to buy a USB adaptor for our laptop which would
    also be a good match for the new router.

    Our local stores seem to have a lot of products but not many staff who know
    anything about them...

    Any useful advice from ms public users would be much appreciated therefore.

    Cheers,

    Steve_H
    Steve Hawkins, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    My current preference is this for regular use,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173
    Or this for Extra Range,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162134
    You need the matching Buffalo Cards if you want to benefit from the
    125M/sec. extra "Speed"
    Otherwise ant card would do, the differences between Wireless Client Cards
    is very small. You can first buy Router try it with your current card and
    take it from there.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 3, 2007

  3. Thanks very much Jack. Those are very handy links, and I will look into the
    Buffalo situation here in the UK.

    Cheers, thanks for taking the trouble to put this together for me.

    Steve_H

    Steve Hawkins, Jan 7, 2007
  4. Update:

    Initial searching in the UK for WHR G54S got no leads other than US sites
    quoting in dollars, and few suppliers were found to even note Buffalo.
    However, once the Buffalo site had been found itself, its own links to its
    UK site could be followed (don't know why Google didn't seem to find them),
    and there there is a useful links page to UK suppliers, several of whom had
    the G54S even though Google had not turned them up first time around.

    Result: now have WHR G54S and USB adaptor for a laptop too, and the pair at
    a lower price than I had seen for just the router on other makes.

    Also the Buffalo is only a fraction of the size of our old DI 624+ and looks
    ten times better.

    The set up info that came with the unit was pretty dire though - a very thin
    booklet, and a disc, with neither one saying which was supposed to be used.
    The set up 'wizard' on the disc had instructions that actually disappeared
    off the side of the screen, and the booklet got one as far as setting up the
    open access basic but left one in the dark as to how to set up the security
    options. As we did not have an automatic (AOSS) adaptor on the PC this was a
    pain and it took me hours of reading up on encryption key formats before I
    realised the jargon amounted to me just choosing a password in the usual way
    (our old set up had not needed a password to be manually set).

    The USB adaptor on the other hand, with its AOSS was a doddle.

    So thanks to all for the suggestions and we are very pleased with the
    performance so far.
    Manufacturers should make more effort to explain encryption and security set
    up in the documentation that comes with the product though.

    Cheers,

    Steve_H

    Steve Hawkins, Feb 6, 2007
  5. Scrub that: spoke too soon.

    USB adaptor only worked for a few days in the laptop before laptop fails to
    'recognize USB device' anymore.

    Device seems to be registered on our pc, but as it may be responsible for
    damaging the USB controller in the laptop (although this continues to
    recognize other devices including USB2 devices?) no way am I leaving it
    plugged in to the pc!

    Steve Hawkins, Feb 9, 2007