    adminstrator then system engineer, any thoughts would be appreciated

    Thanks
    Bob

    Bobby Bob, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Bobby Bob

    Guest

    I think A+ and Network+ count as an elective towards some Microsoft
    certifications. Anyway it would be very helpful to have some basic
    networking knowledge that the Network+ provides.

    , Jul 16, 2005

  3. Bobby Bob wrote:
    > Ok guys i am considering a total career change and i am currently half A+
    > qualified. I want to get into pc and network support for small business and
    > would like your recomendations as to what qualifications i should look to be
    > taking.
    >
    > I am thinking after completing the A+ to do the network+ but other people
    > are telling me to do the microsoft certified professional then system
    > adminstrator then system engineer, any thoughts would be appreciated

    Having the A+ and the Network+ certifications will lay a solid
    foundation for your further certifications.

    Your likely next step would be to finish A+, then get Net+.

    Then think about MCSA. The combination of A+ and Net+ (or A+ and
    Server+) satisfies one of the elective requirements for MCSA.

    Here is a link to the Microsoft page that describes the MCSA for Windows
    Server 2003 track.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/

    Good luck with your further studies!!

    John
    --
    John P. Dearing
    A+, Network+, Server+

    John P. Dearing, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Bobby Bob

    jc Guest

    Here are my thoughts. Look for other career paths. IT is a profession that
    is quickly being outsourced and offshored. Give plumbing some thought. You
    can deal with a lot of shit until the toilet overflows - plumbers are always
    in need.

    The IT industry is not one that gives someone a chance unless he/she has
    years of experience.

    jc, Jul 22, 2005
  5. Bobby Bob

    Tmack Guest

    I agree. I've got 10 yrs. in, mostly Unix, and I can't get an
    interview. I live down the street from AOL HQ, CISCO, MCI ... I'm just
    outside of DC. Either the jobs have been filled by imports or, they
    have gone over seas. I've lost two very high paying jobs in the past 6
    yrs due to outsourcing. I now make 40k as a desktop support tech.
    That's a lot for desktop support.

    I've thought long and hard about getting out of IT but I've been at it
    so long I don't know what else I'd do.

    Find something else to do.

    Tmack, Jul 23, 2005
  6. On 23 Jul 2005 14:06:43 -0700, "Tmack" <>
    wrote:

    >I agree. I've got 10 yrs. in, mostly Unix, and I can't get an
    >interview. I live down the street from AOL HQ, CISCO, MCI ... I'm just
    >outside of DC. Either the jobs have been filled by imports or, they
    >have gone over seas. I've lost two very high paying jobs in the past 6
    >yrs due to outsourcing. I now make 40k as a desktop support tech.
    >That's a lot for desktop support.

    40K USD isn't exactly chump change...even outside of DC.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 24, 2005