advice on purchasing power adapter for a laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. s

    s Guest

    Power Adapter details are:

    Service Tag number J75XL31
    Model:pA-1900-05D PA-9 Family
    Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 1.5A
    Output: 20VDC 4.5A
    Marking "CN-06G356-48010-38H-15C0 Rev L04"

    Model of laptop is Inspiron 1100.

    Do I have to get a adapter from Dell only which is 56$(including
    shipping and taxes) or there are some other less expensive choices? As
    machine is out of warranty Dell will not replace it.

    I would appreciate any advice.

    Thanks a lot.

    s, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Howdy!

    "s" <> wrote in message
    > Power Adapter details are:
    >
    > Service Tag number J75XL31
    > Model:pA-1900-05D PA-9 Family
    > Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 1.5A
    > Output: 20VDC 4.5A
    > Marking "CN-06G356-48010-38H-15C0 Rev L04"
    >
    > Model of laptop is Inspiron 1100.
    >
    > Do I have to get a adapter from Dell only which is 56$(including
    > shipping and taxes) or there are some other less expensive choices? As
    > machine is out of warranty Dell will not replace it.
    >
    > I would appreciate any advice.

    $56 for the adapter, shipping, and taxes?

    That's cheaper than most all the replacements.

    I'd opt for the original Dell if I were you - that way, you don't
    have to worry about some cut-rate rip-off company making a piece of stuff
    adapter that damages your laptop due to whatever.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 15, 2006

  3. s

    J-McC Guest

    I agree fully. At $56.00 the price is ok as some third party power
    supplies will cost this much or more likely more. If you get the
    correct one from Dell at least your laptop should still have proper
    protection from an inferior power pack. Go with the DELL one!!
    Jim McCardle

    J-McC, Nov 15, 2006
  4. s

    s Guest

    Thanks folks,

    I appreciate your help. Initially, I thought of looking at ebay for a
    same model(which might be less expensive as it would be second hand)
    but you both are right in trying to save a few bucks I should not take
    chances with the laptop.

    Thanks again for your help and time.

    s, Nov 15, 2006
  5. s

    burris Guest

    s wrote:
    > Thanks folks,
    >
    > I appreciate your help. Initially, I thought of looking at ebay for a
    > same model(which might be less expensive as it would be second hand)
    > but you both are right in trying to save a few bucks I should not take
    > chances with the laptop.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help and time.
    >
    > J-McC wrote:
    >> I agree fully. At $56.00 the price is ok as some third party power
    >> supplies will cost this much or more likely more. If you get the
    >> correct one from Dell at least your laptop should still have proper
    >> protection from an inferior power pack. Go with the DELL one!!
    >> Jim McCardle
    >>
    >> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:49:30 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Howdy!
    >>>
    >>> "s" <> wrote in message

    >>> $56 for the adapter, shipping, and taxes?
    >>>
    >>> That's cheaper than most all the replacements.
    >>>
    >>> I'd opt for the original Dell if I were you - that way, you don't
    >>> have to worry about some cut-rate rip-off company making a piece of stuff
    >>> adapter that damages your laptop due to whatever.
    >>>
    >>> RwP

    Hmmm!

    I got mine on Ebay...$7.95 + shipping and it was the original.

    Certainly worth a look.

    burris, Nov 15, 2006
  6. s

    thanatoid Guest

    "s" <> wrote in

    > Thanks folks,
    >
    > I appreciate your help. Initially, I thought of looking at
    > ebay for a same model(which might be less expensive as it
    > would be second hand) but you both are right in trying to
    > save a few bucks I should not take chances with the laptop.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help and time.
    >
    > J-McC wrote:
    >> I agree fully. At $56.00 the price is ok as some third
    >> party power supplies will cost this much or more likely
    >> more. If you get the correct one from Dell at least your
    >> laptop should still have proper protection from an
    >> inferior power pack. Go with the DELL one!! Jim McCardle
    >>
    >> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:49:30 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Howdy!
    >> >
    >> >"s" <> wrote in message

    >> > $56 for the adapter, shipping, and taxes?
    >> >
    >> > That's cheaper than most all the replacements.
    >> >
    >> > I'd opt for the original Dell if I were you -
    >> > that way, you don't
    >> >have to worry about some cut-rate rip-off company making
    >> >a piece of stuff adapter that damages your laptop due to
    >> >whatever.
    >> >
    >> > RwP

    The only difference between a power adapter which you can buy at
    a VERY GOOD electronics-radio supply store (the kind normal
    people NEVER go into, and also possibly the only kind which will
    have an adapter with these specs) and the "Dell" one is the
    case, name and price.

    Most components of most name-brand computers are generally made
    with the cheapest components bought from other manufacturers.
    For instance, for many years - maybe still, all desktop "Dell"
    optical drives were LG. IMHO, LG is an excellent brand, but it's
    no TDK, Yamaha or Plextor price-wise.

    When you go into one of these stores they will have a $1,000
    multimeter the size of a small TV and you can check the voltage
    output quality of the adapter you will be buying. Just make sure
    the specs are EXACTLY the same and that the plug polarity is
    correct.

    OTOH, I have no idea how much your laptop cost, but $56 is
    certainly not OUTRAGEOUS. Just be aware you're not really
    getting anything better except with the Dell logo.

    thanatoid, Nov 16, 2006
  7. s

    thanatoid Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > "s" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Thanks folks,
    >>
    >> I appreciate your help. Initially, I thought of looking at
    >> ebay for a same model(which might be less expensive as it
    >> would be second hand) but you both are right in trying to
    >> save a few bucks I should not take chances with the
    >> laptop.
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your help and time.

    Just a not-totally-irrelevant P.S.:

    The "Dell" batteries were "made by Sony" in some factory in
    China, without a doubt. As are virtually all the power adapters
    you can purchase these days, if not almost everything.

    thanatoid, Nov 16, 2006
  8. s

    s Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > The only difference between a power adapter which you can buy at
    > a VERY GOOD electronics-radio supply store (the kind normal
    > people NEVER go into, and also possibly the only kind which will
    > have an adapter with these specs) and the "Dell" one is the
    > case, name and price.
    >
    > Most components of most name-brand computers are generally made
    > with the cheapest components bought from other manufacturers.
    > For instance, for many years - maybe still, all desktop "Dell"
    > optical drives were LG. IMHO, LG is an excellent brand, but it's
    > no TDK, Yamaha or Plextor price-wise.
    >
    > When you go into one of these stores they will have a $1,000
    > multimeter the size of a small TV and you can check the voltage
    > output quality of the adapter you will be buying. Just make sure
    > the specs are EXACTLY the same and that the plug polarity is
    > correct.

    Dell even does not seem to carry the exact model I got with my
    laptop(when I called that is what they told me and their site also did
    not have the same model) and is offering me another one claiming it
    will also be fine for me. BTW, how do I ensure plug polarity is proper?
    I am bit new in this field so hope you can excuse me. And I checked
    with local Staples and CircuitCity but they did not have any. I guess I
    need to try RadioShack. Are there any stores you would suggest?

    Thanks a lot for your help and time.

    s, Nov 16, 2006
  9. s

    thanatoid Guest

    "s" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> The only difference between a power adapter which you can
    >> buy at a VERY GOOD electronics-radio supply store (the
    >> kind normal people NEVER go into, and also possibly the
    >> only kind which will have an adapter with these specs) and
    >> the "Dell" one is the case, name and price.
    >>
    >> Most components of most name-brand computers are generally
    >> made with the cheapest components bought from other
    >> manufacturers. For instance, for many years - maybe still,
    >> all desktop "Dell" optical drives were LG. IMHO, LG is an
    >> excellent brand, but it's no TDK, Yamaha or Plextor
    >> price-wise.
    >>
    >> When you go into one of these stores they will have a
    >> $1,000 multimeter the size of a small TV and you can check
    >> the voltage output quality of the adapter you will be
    >> buying. Just make sure the specs are EXACTLY the same and
    >> that the plug polarity is correct.

    > Dell even does not seem to carry the exact model I got with
    > my laptop(when I called that is what they told me and their
    > site also did not have the same model) and is offering me
    > another one claiming it will also be fine for me. BTW, how
    > do I ensure plug polarity is proper? I am bit new in this
    > field so hope you can excuse me. And I checked with local
    > Staples and CircuitCity but they did not have any. I guess
    > I need to try RadioShack. Are there any stores you would
    > suggest?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your help and time.

    You're welcome.

    You need to look in the yellow pages under "electronic
    components" or "radio equipment supplies" or ask a technician in
    a nearby computer or electronics store where a place like that
    might be in your area. Radio Shack and places like that will not
    have what you need. What you need is a Radio Shack on major
    steroids - like I said, it's the kind of a place where only
    technicians go.

    BTW beware of RS in general - a lot of their stuff is fine, but
    all of it is overpriced, and MUCH of it - especially the more
    esoteric stuff - are other brand factory seconds (which RS stamp
    with their own name) which the real manufacturers reject because
    they're not up to spec, sometimes EXTREMELY so. Another subject,
    I suppose. Still, they're great if you need something simple and
    cheap and there's nothing else. In some towns there IS nothing
    else.

    You could check www.mouser.com, they have a LOT of this kind of
    stuff, but of course you won't be able to make sure it works
    since you probably don't live in the city where they are
    located.

    The polarity is which of the pins is negative or positive, and
    in an extreme case can fry whatever you plug into the adapter.
    In some cases it makes no difference, but I have a feeling a
    laptop is NOT one of those cases.

    But if you have the old adapter, there should be a tiny drawing
    on it explaining that, or if not, Google for the EXACT model
    number and see what turns up. It MAY be in the manual as well.
    MAYBE. If you DO find a good electronics shop they should be
    able to make sure their adapter will have all the right specs
    including the right polarity on the plug.

    I'm not surprised Dell doesn't have your adapter any more. ALL
    big manufacturers make completely new power adapters (and many
    accessories) for every fucking model of anything they make, all
    just to make sure you'll have to buy a new one and not be able
    to use an old one - even though they all do exactly the same
    thing. Sometimes they even change the plugs just for that same
    reason.

    You MAY have to cave in and buy the Dell they claim will work -
    but make sure you get some kind of warranty that says they will
    replace your machine if it blows up because the adapter is NOT
    the right kind.

    Good luck. It's a tough one.

    thanatoid, Nov 16, 2006
  10. s

    s Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
> [...]

    > number and see what turns up. It MAY be in the manual as well.
    > MAYBE. If you DO find a good electronics shop they should be
    > able to make sure their adapter will have all the right specs
    > including the right polarity on the plug.
    >
    > I'm not surprised Dell doesn't have your adapter any more. ALL
    > big manufacturers make completely new power adapters (and many
    > accessories) for every fucking model of anything they make, all
    > just to make sure you'll have to buy a new one and not be able
    > to use an old one - even though they all do exactly the same
    > thing. Sometimes they even change the plugs just for that same
    > reason.
    >
    > You MAY have to cave in and buy the Dell they claim will work -
    > but make sure you get some kind of warranty that says they will
    > replace your machine if it blows up because the adapter is NOT

    Thanks a lot.

    I guess I need to get what Dell gives me. The surprising part is
    adapters should last for 5 years typically for common usage but mine
    lasted only for three requiring me to purchase a new one. Any ideas
    how to ensure they last long. I treat these things carefully as I know
    how expensive parts can be but am confused why mine did not last for 5
    years.

    But your help,advice and time is highly appreciated.

    s, Nov 16, 2006
  11. s

    thanatoid Guest

    "s" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I guess I need to get what Dell gives me. The surprising
    > part is adapters should last for 5 years typically for
    > common usage but mine lasted only for three requiring me to
    > purchase a new one. Any ideas how to ensure they last
    > long. I treat these things carefully as I know how
    > expensive parts can be but am confused why mine did not
    > last for 5 years.
    >
    > But your help,advice and time is highly appreciated.

    I have a graphics tablet which is about 17 years old and cost
    almost a thousand dollars then. The tablet itself was made in
    Korea. The AC adapter was (strangely enough) made in Taiwan and
    not China, and lasted until a few weeks ago. If the manuf. was
    still in business, they would probably want $35 or more for a
    new one. I replaced it with an $8 multi-voltage (3, 6, 7.5, 9,
    12VDC) AC adapter (with a polarity switch and 5 different DC
    plugs!) - made in China - which I bought well over 10 years ago.
    Works just fine.

    AFA your laptop adapter lasting as little time as it did, there
    is simply no more quality control. Even Sony, once the shining
    beacon of innovation and excellence, now makes most of their
    stuff in China (Thailand if you're lucky) and a lot of it is
    crap. Only the MOST expensive items are still made in Japan.

    I recently bought a new Hoover upright to replace the one which
    I had for ALMOST 20 YEARS and which died ONLY because of someone
    else's extreme stupidity and carelessness. The motor in the NEW
    vacuum died after less than 15 hours of use.

    Welcome to the 21st Century.

    thanatoid, Nov 17, 2006
  12. thanatoid <> wrote in message
    <Xns987DBDFB64B84thanexit@66.250.146.158>...

    > "s" <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> I guess I need to get what Dell gives me. The surprising
    >> part is adapters should last for 5 years typically for
    >> common usage but mine lasted only for three requiring me to
    >> purchase a new one. Any ideas how to ensure they last
    >> long. I treat these things carefully as I know how
    >> expensive parts can be but am confused why mine did not
    >> last for 5 years.
    >>
    >> But your help,advice and time is highly appreciated.

    > I have a graphics tablet<BITCHSLAP>

    Pick one:

    1. The poster asked for ideas on making power adapters last longer.

    2. In news:Xns987EF29725A8Athanexit@66.250.146.158,
    thanatoid <> typed:

    If you don't understand what others write, shut up.

    Furbig the hymen-augurer, Nov 18, 2006