    I am not even sure where to start troubleshooting - It doesn't seem to make
    sense that it won't work in two different applications but works fine for
    system tests. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    pgluth1, Jan 7, 2006

  2. pgluth1

    pgluth1 Guest

    Re: printer problems - follow-up

    Been working hard on this time-wasting problem:

    1. I changed the printer cable - no difference.
    2. I un-daisy chained the printer / scanner - no difference.
    3. I ran the stand alone self-printer test - the one where the printer
    isn't even attached to the computer - works fine.
    4. Cleaned the cartridges (software cleaning, not physically removing them)
    - no difference.
    5. Converted one file to a text file and printed it in Notepad - still
    screwed up.

    On the question of replacing the printer, I agree with your logic, but I
    hate to throw away ANYTHING computer related that still works. It bothers
    me that I can walk through my neighborhood on trash day and find P2s
    everywhere - and I don't live in a rich neighborhood. I try to recycle as
    many parts as possible and donate most of my creations to a local church
    group.

    And if you think this printer is old, I am still using a P1 Toshiba
    notebook almost every day and a couple of P2s as game servers.

    pgluth1, Jan 8, 2006

  3. pgluth1

    SBFan2000 Guest

    "pgluth1" <> wrote in message
    > Been working hard on this time-wasting problem:
    >
    > 1. I changed the printer cable - no difference.
    > 2. I un-daisy chained the printer / scanner - no difference.
    > 3. I ran the stand alone self-printer test - the one where the printer
    > isn't even attached to the computer - works fine.
    > 4. Cleaned the cartridges (software cleaning, not physically removing

    them)
    > - no difference.
    > 5. Converted one file to a text file and printed it in Notepad - still
    > screwed up.
    >
    > On the question of replacing the printer, I agree with your logic, but I
    > hate to throw away ANYTHING computer related that still works.

    But it isn't working anymore, thats why you posted. :)

    SBFan2000, Jan 8, 2006
  4. pgluth1

    pgluth1 Guest

    Re: printer problems - more

    Funny you should mention your Toshiba - I have the 445CDT. I'd love to pump
    your brain if you have done any hardware upgrades to yours - HD, bios, and
    ram in particular. I have a 1.2 gig HD, upgraded to 90megs of ram, but
    wonder if it is possible to do anything else with it.

    Anyway, the printer works fine with a win98se P1 laptop but screwy with my
    XP desktop - despite having worked fine for many years. I suppose that
    quickly narrows the problem down to a corrupt driver.

    pgluth1, Jan 8, 2006
  5. pgluth1

    ab Guest

    I seriously doubt that the drivers for such an old printer work on XP and XP
    Pro. If you are sure they do you must also check if the port is set for
    bidirectional or not and also make sure the port works. Just a thought.

    ab, Jan 9, 2006