    so I was curious if the 716A was worth the extra $30 or so dollars. I
    believe the 716 is slightly faster. The 712 got some good reviews.
    Thanks

    soinie, Jan 29, 2005

  2. soinie

    soinie Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:14:54 GMT, soinie <>
    wrote:

    >I really like Plextor drives and have been using their cd burners for
    >about 5 years and now want to get a dvd-rw, so I'm considering the
    >716A and the 712A. I don't know that much about dvd burner technology
    >so I was curious if the 716A was worth the extra $30 or so dollars. I
    >believe the 716 is slightly faster. The 712 got some good reviews.
    >Thanks

    Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
    buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
    Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

    soinie, Jan 29, 2005

  3. soinie

    Bill Turner Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:11:28 GMT, soinie <> wrote:

    >Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
    >buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
    >Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

    May I ask what killed your enthusiasm? I'm considering Plextor myself.

    --
    BT

    Bill Turner, Jan 29, 2005
  4. soinie

    Ed Kim Guest

    wrote:

    > >Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want

    > >buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
    > >Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

    > May I ask what killed your enthusiasm? I'm considering Plextor

    myself.

    > --
    > BT

    in my experience, Plextor has sucked balls as of late, for whatever
    reason. My dad bought one, which failed, then exchanged it for
    another one, which also started acting weird (refused to recognize
    CDs/CD-ROMs discs). My friend bought one and it refused to burn cdrs.
    My friend's brother bought one and the audio wouldn't play for cds.
    Two other friends bought Plextors and they each returned them.

    I was planning on buying one as i'd read extremely positive early
    reviews on the 8x burners, but the experiences of friends and family
    has turned me off of plexdtor.

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Jan 29, 2005
  5. soinie

    soinie Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:15:57 -0800, Bill Turner <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:11:28 GMT, soinie <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
    >>buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
    >>Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

    >May I ask what killed your enthusiasm? I'm considering Plextor myself.

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/170/1

    I think there might be other dual layer dvd rw drives out there that
    out perform the Plextor and are cheaper. I'm looking at the NEC and
    BenQ.

    soinie, Jan 29, 2005
  6. soinie

    Large Farva Guest

    Both are overpriced. Go with a Pioneer.

    Large Farva, Jan 30, 2005
  7. soinie

    Halb Guest

    I recently purchased a 712A and to date have made or copied 30-35 dvds with
    zero coasters and no problems at all. I consistently record at 8x using
    Philips +R media.
    As this is my 1st dvd-rw I have no comparisons but I am very satisfied with
    the product to this point.
    I purchased it from TigerDirect for $80.

    Halb

    Halb, Jan 31, 2005
  8. soinie

    Baked Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:11:28 GMT, soinie <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:14:54 GMT, soinie <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I really like Plextor drives and have been using their cd burners for
    >>about 5 years and now want to get a dvd-rw, so I'm considering the
    >>716A and the 712A. I don't know that much about dvd burner technology
    >>so I was curious if the 716A was worth the extra $30 or so dollars. I
    >>believe the 716 is slightly faster. The 712 got some good reviews.
    >>Thanks

    >Just did a little research and found the answer. Now I don't want to
    >buy either of them. Can anyone recommend a dual layer burner?
    >Pioneer, NEC? Thanks

    Firmware 1.05 was just released on Jan 24th for the 716a to make it a dual layer
    burner.

    Baked, Feb 1, 2005