advice on NOS for classroom

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fros, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. fros

    fros Guest

    Can you advise me whether to go with a client/server, or domain based OS,
    considering the scenario below.

    I have been asked by my wife (a high school math/computer teacher) to help
    her network an assortment of donated windows machines in their small
    computer lab classroom.

    I'll see that there is an NIC card & driver in each computer and use
    standard cat 5 to cable them to a hub with sufficient ports (presently there
    are about 8 computers but they may expand in the future to maybe 15). Then
    bind them to the correct protocol/s - Tcp/ip and Netbeui or ?, Client for MS
    Networks, File & Printer sharing.

    Problem is they dont want a simple peer to peer because the kids mess with
    all the settings and leave the hd in a jumble. It's out of control.
    Ideally the teacher has full control:
    1. -To provide/prohibit access at each workstation.
    -To determine which programs are loaded.
    -To clean & restore the drive when the day is done

    2. - To be able to demonstrate her lessons from her pc to the students on
    their pc 's. For example, if she's demonstrating a database program or doing
    a simple pascal programming exercise , they can all work on the lesson from
    their desks rather than gathering around her screen.
    - Control where they can store their data files, or perhaps they don't,
    and have to save them to floppies or cd?

    3. At this time, Internet access is not a priority. Although I'd prefer to
    incorporate it into the planning. Not sure how,but maybe from the hub to a
    standalone router which will be connected to the telephone or cable feed
    into the building.

    Thank you for your anticipated assistance,
    Frank

    --
    newsgroups signature

    fros, Dec 19, 2003

  2. fros

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You need a Active Directory Domain. Use Windows 2000.

    pcbutts1, Dec 19, 2003

  3. fros

    fros Guest

    Is the described scenario only available on windows 2000 server - or does
    windows 2000 pro also facilitate it ?
    thanks

    fros, Dec 19, 2003
  4. fros

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You need 2000 server. The control that you are talking about cannot be done
    with 2000 pro. Just one machine needs 2000 server the rest can be pro.

    http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

    pcbutts1, Dec 20, 2003
  5. fros

    fros Guest

    ok so the server must run 2000 server and all the workstations Must be
    2000(pro) too - none can run 95/98/mE - correct ?

    fros, Dec 20, 2003
  6. fros

    pcbutts1 Guest

    They can run 95/98/ME but there is no security and they can bypass any you
    try to put on.

    pcbutts1, Dec 20, 2003
  7. fros

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:52:34 -0500, fros wrote:

    <snip>

    >2. - To be able to demonstrate her lessons from her pc to the students on
    >their pc 's. For example, if she's demonstrating a database program or doing
    >a simple pascal programming exercise , they can all work on the lesson from
    >their desks rather than gathering around her screen.

    URLs are for a UK company but you get the idea.

    http://www.blackbox.co.uk/page.asp?cc=UK&pc=5&tc=1&bc=produkte/produkte&id=ac840ae
    CAT5 ClassWork Plus Interactive Display System
    * Broadcast the instructor’s monitor display to up to 31
    daisychained student computers.
    * Totally independent of network software!
    * Observe individual student screens from the instructor’s monitor.

    This looks to be a handy feature :)

    FOCUS ATTENTION - When you require your students’ full attention, push a
    button to darken all monitors and freeze keyboard and mouse controls.
    You don’t have to try to talk over a classroom full of clattering
    keyboards.

    Then the links to more detailed data sheets.

    http://www.blackbox.co.uk/page.asp?cc=UK&pc=5&tc=1&bc=produkte/produkte&id=kv780ae
    # Great for classroom or training environments!
    # Use for group presentations or teach one-on-one.
    # Students can see what’s on the instructor’s screen and vice versa.
    # Teach by example and reinforce with hands-on practice - a proven
    combination for success.
    # Up to 250 students’ PCs can connect to one system!

    If you are going the Win 2000 route, maybe pcbutts1 can confirm. I think
    the terminal services would be available for control of the student
    systems as well.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 20, 2003