Advice on new Notebook 32 bit v 64 bit Windows

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Mar 13, 2011.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    Some months back I sought advice on purchase of a notebook for a
    friend who runs a non-profit. I was grateful for advice received.
    There is now budgetary approval to buy it, but I need a bit more help.
    We need a 15inch business oriented notebook and have effectively
    narrowed the choice to i3 versus i5 processors and will probably go
    for the latter (there is an approximate $350 price difference). Both
    series as understand it are 64 bit processors capable of working in
    32 (and presumably 16 bit) mode. The big issue that arose fairly late
    in the piece is 32bit versus 64bit Windows 7 Professional. As I see it
    64bit Windows makes full use of the 4G RAM and can address even more.
    However it seems that 64bit drivers are required nd are not always
    available (eg for a Fuji-Xerox Document Centre 405). 32bit Windows
    will work on a 64machine but as far as I know does not make full use
    of the 4G memory normally supplied with i5 machines. I suspect that
    there is some performance degradeagation with 32bit se.

    Interestingly Sony offers 64bit Windows only whereas Dell, while
    offering both, seems to offer 32bit as default, and other makers offer
    either type or 32bit only. This is presumably to get round potential
    driver problems.

    So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to
    64bit Windows at a later stage. This presumably means buying a new
    'shrinkwrap' Windows 64 bit, or hopefully an upgrde version may
    work(?). The converse would apply if we went for Sony (being careful
    to make and keep an image of the original 64bit Windows).

    Does this seem reasonable, or are any of my assumptions wrong? Thanks
    in anticipation for help.

    peterwn, Mar 13, 2011

  2. peterwn

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-03-13, peterwn <> wrote:
    > Some months back I sought advice on purchase of a notebook for a
    > friend who runs a non-profit. I was grateful for advice received.
    > There is now budgetary approval to buy it, but I need a bit more help.
    > We need a 15inch business oriented notebook and have effectively
    > narrowed the choice to i3 versus i5 processors and will probably go
    > for the latter (there is an approximate $350 price difference). Both
    > series as understand it are 64 bit processors capable of working in
    > 32 (and presumably 16 bit) mode. The big issue that arose fairly late
    > in the piece is 32bit versus 64bit Windows 7 Professional. As I see it
    > 64bit Windows makes full use of the 4G RAM and can address even more.

    Correct. A great deal more.

    > However it seems that 64bit drivers are required nd are not always
    > available (eg for a Fuji-Xerox Document Centre 405). 32bit Windows
    > will work on a 64machine but as far as I know does not make full use
    > of the 4G memory normally supplied with i5 machines. I suspect that
    > there is some performance degradeagation with 32bit se.
    >
    > Interestingly Sony offers 64bit Windows only whereas Dell, while
    > offering both, seems to offer 32bit as default, and other makers offer
    > either type or 32bit only. This is presumably to get round potential
    > driver problems.
    >
    > So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to
    > 64bit Windows at a later stage. This presumably means buying a new
    > 'shrinkwrap' Windows 64 bit, or hopefully an upgrde version may
    > work(?). The converse would apply if we went for Sony (being careful
    > to make and keep an image of the original 64bit Windows).
    >
    > Does this seem reasonable, or are any of my assumptions wrong? Thanks
    > in anticipation for help.

    You are very much on the button. The main advantage of a 64 bit version is
    the ability to adresses > 3.2GB of memory. The difference in speed is not
    really worth considering for most people.

    I would go for the 32 bit version and worry what to do a few years down the
    track. By then who knows what the situation will be.

    The driver problem is a real risk, it could get one very frustrated

    Gordon, Mar 13, 2011

  3. peterwn

    PeeCee Guest

    On 13/03/2011 3:42 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    > Some months back I sought advice on purchase of a notebook for a
    > friend who runs a non-profit. I was grateful for advice received.
    > There is now budgetary approval to buy it, but I need a bit more help.
    > We need a 15inch business oriented notebook and have effectively
    > narrowed the choice to i3 versus i5 processors and will probably go
    > for the latter (there is an approximate $350 price difference). Both
    > series as understand it are 64 bit processors capable of working in
    > 32 (and presumably 16 bit) mode. The big issue that arose fairly late
    > in the piece is 32bit versus 64bit Windows 7 Professional. As I see it
    > 64bit Windows makes full use of the 4G RAM and can address even more.
    > However it seems that 64bit drivers are required nd are not always
    > available (eg for a Fuji-Xerox Document Centre 405). 32bit Windows
    > will work on a 64machine but as far as I know does not make full use
    > of the 4G memory normally supplied with i5 machines. I suspect that
    > there is some performance degradeagation with 32bit se.
    >
    > Interestingly Sony offers 64bit Windows only whereas Dell, while
    > offering both, seems to offer 32bit as default, and other makers offer
    > either type or 32bit only. This is presumably to get round potential
    > driver problems.
    >
    > So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to
    > 64bit Windows at a later stage. This presumably means buying a new
    > 'shrinkwrap' Windows 64 bit, or hopefully an upgrde version may
    > work(?). The converse would apply if we went for Sony (being careful
    > to make and keep an image of the original 64bit Windows).
    >
    > Does this seem reasonable, or are any of my assumptions wrong? Thanks
    > in anticipation for help.

    Peter

    The Fuji-Xerox drivers page shows Windows 7 x86 (aka 32bit) drivers
    available but only 'Vista' 64 bit drivers.
    If possible borrow a 64bit Win7 PC and see if the Vista drivers can be
    encouraged to work & go Win7/64.

    32 bit Windows 7 is still a viable choice at this time, but by the time
    the next version of Windows comes out there is going to be a huge amount
    of hardware and software that has no support. Microsoft really does want
    to get rid of the 'legacy' drag on it's OS.
    I see the DC405 in this category of abandonware.

    The classic example of this redundancy is the number of people that
    stuck to Win 9x because their scanners & printers were 9x only. Within
    12 months most of them wished they had bitten the bullet and gone for
    Windows 2000 and bought a new scanner.

    In summary, if you have to 32bit is currently OK, but if you can, go
    64bit for the future.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 13, 2011
  4. peterwn

    eyes Guest

    On 13/03/11 17:31, EMB wrote:
    > On 13/03/2011 3:42 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    >> Some months back I sought advice on purchase of a notebook for a
    >> friend who runs a non-profit. I was grateful for advice received.
    >> There is now budgetary approval to buy it, but I need a bit more help.
    >> We need a 15inch business oriented notebook and have effectively
    >> narrowed the choice to i3 versus i5 processors and will probably go
    >> for the latter (there is an approximate $350 price difference). Both
    >> series as understand it are 64 bit processors capable of working in
    >> 32 (and presumably 16 bit) mode. The big issue that arose fairly late
    >> in the piece is 32bit versus 64bit Windows 7 Professional. As I see it
    >> 64bit Windows makes full use of the 4G RAM and can address even more.
    >> However it seems that 64bit drivers are required nd are not always
    >> available (eg for a Fuji-Xerox Document Centre 405). 32bit Windows
    >> will work on a 64machine but as far as I know does not make full use
    >> of the 4G memory normally supplied with i5 machines. I suspect that
    >> there is some performance degradeagation with 32bit se.

    > Enable PAE on your 32-bit Windows 7 and you'll see the 4GB (or more).

    You might see it, but Win7 will not let you use it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

    eyes, Mar 14, 2011
  5. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 13, 3:42 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    > Some months back I sought advice on purchase of a notebook for a
    > friend who runs a non-profit. I was grateful for advice received.
    > There is now budgetary approval to buy it, but I need a bit more help.
    > We need a 15inch business oriented notebook and have effectively
    > narrowed the choice to i3 versus i5 processors and will probably go
    > for the latter (there is an approximate $350 price difference).  Both
    > series as  understand it are 64 bit processors capable of working in
    > 32 (and presumably 16 bit) mode. The big issue that arose fairly late
    > in the piece is 32bit versus 64bit Windows 7 Professional. As I see it
    > 64bit Windows makes full use of the 4G RAM and can address even more.
    > However it seems that 64bit drivers are required nd are not always
    > available (eg for a Fuji-Xerox Document Centre 405). 32bit Windows
    > will work on a 64machine but as far as I know does not make full use
    > of the 4G memory normally supplied with i5 machines. I suspect that
    > there is some performance degradeagation with 32bit se.
    >
    > Interestingly Sony offers 64bit Windows only whereas Dell, while
    > offering both, seems to offer 32bit as default, and other makers offer
    > either type or 32bit only. This is presumably to get round potential
    > driver problems.
    >
    > So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to
    > 64bit Windows at a later stage. This presumably means  buying a new
    > 'shrinkwrap' Windows 64 bit, or hopefully an upgrde version may
    > work(?). The converse would apply if we went for Sony (being careful
    > to make and keep an image of the original 64bit Windows).
    >
    > Does this seem reasonable, or are any of my assumptions wrong? Thanks
    > in anticipation for help.

    Thanks very much for the various comments received. They have been
    very helpful.

    I recognise The DC405 is in the 'abandonware' category - the
    organisation purchases second hand copiers for $3000 or so and keeps
    them until the supplier 'hangs up' on the maintenance contract - it
    has purchased three like this in the 22 years or so since it retired
    the 'Gestetner'. However the the DC405 can be successfully driven with
    a HP Laserjet 5 series driver which is available in a 64 bit version
    including functionality like duplex and tray selection.

    peterwn, Mar 14, 2011
  6. peterwn

    PeeCee Guest

    On 15/03/2011 12:10 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    > On Mar 13, 3:42 pm, peterwn<> wrote:
    >> Some months back I sought advice on purchase of a notebook for a
    >> friend who runs a non-profit. I was grateful for advice received.
    >> There is now budgetary approval to buy it, but I need a bit more help.
    >> We need a 15inch business oriented notebook and have effectively
    >> narrowed the choice to i3 versus i5 processors and will probably go
    >> for the latter (there is an approximate $350 price difference). Both
    >> series as understand it are 64 bit processors capable of working in
    >> 32 (and presumably 16 bit) mode. The big issue that arose fairly late
    >> in the piece is 32bit versus 64bit Windows 7 Professional. As I see it
    >> 64bit Windows makes full use of the 4G RAM and can address even more.
    >> However it seems that 64bit drivers are required nd are not always
    >> available (eg for a Fuji-Xerox Document Centre 405). 32bit Windows
    >> will work on a 64machine but as far as I know does not make full use
    >> of the 4G memory normally supplied with i5 machines. I suspect that
    >> there is some performance degradeagation with 32bit se.
    >>
    >> Interestingly Sony offers 64bit Windows only whereas Dell, while
    >> offering both, seems to offer 32bit as default, and other makers offer
    >> either type or 32bit only. This is presumably to get round potential
    >> driver problems.
    >>
    >> So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to
    >> 64bit Windows at a later stage. This presumably means buying a new
    >> 'shrinkwrap' Windows 64 bit, or hopefully an upgrde version may
    >> work(?). The converse would apply if we went for Sony (being careful
    >> to make and keep an image of the original 64bit Windows).
    >>
    >> Does this seem reasonable, or are any of my assumptions wrong? Thanks
    >> in anticipation for help.

    > Thanks very much for the various comments received. They have been
    > very helpful.
    >
    > I recognise The DC405 is in the 'abandonware' category - the
    > organisation purchases second hand copiers for $3000 or so and keeps
    > them until the supplier 'hangs up' on the maintenance contract - it
    > has purchased three like this in the 22 years or so since it retired
    > the 'Gestetner'. However the the DC405 can be successfully driven with
    > a HP Laserjet 5 series driver which is available in a 64 bit version
    > including functionality like duplex and tray selection.

    OK Peter

    That looks promising.
    I guess the proof would be to borrow a Win7 64bit laptop and hook the
    DC405 up to it.

    Surely there is someone on the board of directors that has access to
    such a laptop.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 16, 2011
  7. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 16, 1:32 pm, PeeCee <> wrote:
    > On 15/03/2011 12:10 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 13, 3:42 pm, peterwn<>  wrote:
    > >> Some months back I sought advice on purchase of a notebook for a
    > >> friend who runs a non-profit. I was grateful for advice received.
    > >> There is now budgetary approval to buy it, but I need a bit more help.
    > >> We need a 15inch business oriented notebook and have effectively
    > >> narrowed the choice to i3 versus i5 processors and will probably go
    > >> for the latter (there is an approximate $350 price difference).  Both
    > >> series as  understand it are 64 bit processors capable of working in
    > >> 32 (and presumably 16 bit) mode. The big issue that arose fairly late
    > >> in the piece is 32bit versus 64bit Windows 7 Professional. As I see it
    > >> 64bit Windows makes full use of the 4G RAM and can address even more.
    > >> However it seems that 64bit drivers are required nd are not always
    > >> available (eg for a Fuji-Xerox Document Centre 405). 32bit Windows
    > >> will work on a 64machine but as far as I know does not make full use
    > >> of the 4G memory normally supplied with i5 machines. I suspect that
    > >> there is some performance degradeagation with 32bit se.

    > >> Interestingly Sony offers 64bit Windows only whereas Dell, while
    > >> offering both, seems to offer 32bit as default, and other makers offer
    > >> either type or 32bit only. This is presumably to get round potential
    > >> driver problems.

    > >> So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to
    > >> 64bit Windows at a later stage. This presumably means  buying a new
    > >> 'shrinkwrap' Windows 64 bit, or hopefully an upgrde version may
    > >> work(?). The converse would apply if we went for Sony (being careful
    > >> to make and keep an image of the original 64bit Windows).

    > >> Does this seem reasonable, or are any of my assumptions wrong? Thanks
    > >> in anticipation for help.

    > > Thanks very much for the various comments received. They have been
    > > very helpful.

    > > I recognise The DC405 is in the 'abandonware' category - the
    > > organisation purchases second hand copiers for $3000 or so and keeps
    > > them until the supplier 'hangs up' on the maintenance contract - it
    > > has purchased three like this in the 22 years or so since it retired
    > > the 'Gestetner'. However the the DC405 can be successfully driven with
    > > a HP Laserjet 5 series driver which is available in a 64 bit version
    > > including functionality like duplex and tray selection.

    > OK Peter
    >
    > That looks promising.
    > I guess the proof would be to borrow a Win7 64bit laptop and hook the
    > DC405 up to it.
    >
    > Surely there is someone on the board of directors that has access to
    > such a laptop.

    The 'big event' is in hand and will take place on Saturday. Will try
    the Vista 64 bit driver first and if that fails will try a HP Laserjet
    5 series driver.

    peterwn, Mar 16, 2011
  8. peterwn

    Boots Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:42:46 -0800, peterwn wrote:

    > So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to 64bit
    > Windows at a later stage.

    Are you going for 64bit hardware or 32bit hardware?

    What applications do you _need_ to use? 32bit or 64bit?

    Pick your OS based on those considerations. :)

    Boots, Mar 19, 2011
  9. peterwn

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 03:10:51 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > I would go for the 32 bit version and worry what to do a few years down
    > the track. By then who knows what the situation will be.

    Personally I've been using 64bit desktop hardware, OS, and Apps for
    probably 6-7 years now. Are there still really that many issues with MS
    Windows on the 64bit platform?

    Boots, Mar 19, 2011
  10. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 19, 8:50 pm, Boots <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:42:46 -0800, peterwn wrote:
    > > So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to 64bit
    > > Windows at a later stage.

    > Are you going for 64bit hardware or 32bit hardware?
    >
    > What applications do you _need_ to use? 32bit or 64bit?
    >
    > Pick your OS based on those considerations. :)

    My friend's preferred model (Sony Vaio) does not offer 32 bit Windows
    (unless you buy and install a 32 bit version). Machine will mostly run
    Office 2010 particularly Publisher.

    I have just completed experiments with a borrowed Sony Vaio with 64
    bit Windows. To cut a long story short, MS seems to have a generic 64
    bit printer driver that covers HP Laserjet 4 & 5, Fuji-Xerox 405 etc.
    It does not have the bells and whistles of the proper driver but does
    duplex, tray selection and booklet printing - in other words it meets
    most needs. MS Publisher and Acrobat pdf reader have various printing
    options as well so all bases seem covered.

    So a Sony Vaio business type i5 15inch notebook with 64 bit Windows is
    most probably what will be purchased.

    Thanks again to those who contributed.

    peterwn, Mar 19, 2011
  11. peterwn

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <033a8f33-e977-4cb4-863b-42600df5fbf2
    @k10g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, , peterwn says...

    > On Mar 19, 8:50 pm, Boots <> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:42:46 -0800, peterwn wrote:
    > > > So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to 64bit
    > > > Windows at a later stage.

    > > Are you going for 64bit hardware or 32bit hardware?
    > >
    > > What applications do you _need_ to use? 32bit or 64bit?
    > >
    > > Pick your OS based on those considerations. :)
    > >

    > My friend's preferred model (Sony Vaio) does not offer 32 bit Windows
    > (unless you buy and install a 32 bit version). Machine will mostly run
    > Office 2010 particularly Publisher.
    >
    > I have just completed experiments with a borrowed Sony Vaio with 64
    > bit Windows. To cut a long story short, MS seems to have a generic 64
    > bit printer driver that covers HP Laserjet 4 & 5, Fuji-Xerox 405 etc.
    > It does not have the bells and whistles of the proper driver but does
    > duplex, tray selection and booklet printing - in other words it meets
    > most needs. MS Publisher and Acrobat pdf reader have various printing
    > options as well so all bases seem covered.
    >
    > So a Sony Vaio business type i5 15inch notebook with 64 bit Windows is
    > most probably what will be purchased.
    >
    > Thanks again to those who contributed.

    A client has a wee Sony Vaio 13", Windows 7 Pro 64, i7, 8Gb. I think it
    was around $4,600. He's on number three. Failed mobo on the first two
    - Sony told him they never get returns - yet his ones have lasted less
    than two months. Sony have been very good on the replacements - but
    he's loosing patience - don't think he'll get #4 if the current one
    dies.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 20, 2011
  12. peterwn

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-03-19, Boots <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:42:46 -0800, peterwn wrote:
    >
    >> So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to 64bit
    >> Windows at a later stage.

    > Are you going for 64bit hardware or 32bit hardware?

    32 bit hardware is so 2008, no earlier.

    > What applications do you _need_ to use? 32bit or 64bit?
    >
    > Pick your OS based on those considerations. :)

    hang on we are taliking hardware, yes?

    Gordon, Mar 20, 2011
  13. peterwn

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-03-19, Boots <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 03:10:51 +0000, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> I would go for the 32 bit version and worry what to do a few years down
    >> the track. By then who knows what the situation will be.

    > Personally I've been using 64bit desktop hardware, OS, and Apps for
    > probably 6-7 years now. Are there still really that many issues with MS
    > Windows on the 64bit platform?

    Look, one only needs one, ask Intel (Sandy Bridge), to really mess up ones
    world.

    BTW, platform is usually referred to an OS, not the version of software on
    it.

    Gordon, Mar 20, 2011
  14. peterwn

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 03:22:25 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2011-03-19, Boots <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 03:10:51 +0000, Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would go for the 32 bit version and worry what to do a few years
    >>> down the track. By then who knows what the situation will be.

    >> Personally I've been using 64bit desktop hardware, OS, and Apps for
    >> probably 6-7 years now. Are there still really that many issues with MS
    >> Windows on the 64bit platform?
    >>

    > Look, one only needs one, ask Intel (Sandy Bridge), to really mess up
    > ones world.
    >
    > BTW, platform is usually referred to an OS, not the version of software
    > on it.

    "Platform" can refer to hardware (especially 32/64bit or video card
    manufacturer/firmware), operating system, or software on top of the OS.

    For example, Gecko is referred to as a platform but it is otherwise
    understood as the rendering engine that Firefox is based on.

    Boots, Mar 20, 2011
  15. peterwn

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 03:15:56 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    >> Pick your OS based on those considerations. :)

    > hang on we are taliking hardware, yes?

    Hardware is useless without an OS of some sort.

    Boots, Mar 20, 2011
  16. peterwn

    PeeCee Guest

    On 19/03/2011 10:24 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 8:50 pm, Boots<> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:42:46 -0800, peterwn wrote:
    >>> So it seems we should go with 32bit Windows for now and upgrade to 64bit
    >>> Windows at a later stage.

    >> Are you going for 64bit hardware or 32bit hardware?
    >>
    >> What applications do you _need_ to use? 32bit or 64bit?
    >>
    >> Pick your OS based on those considerations. :)
    >>

    > My friend's preferred model (Sony Vaio) does not offer 32 bit Windows
    > (unless you buy and install a 32 bit version). Machine will mostly run
    > Office 2010 particularly Publisher.
    >
    > I have just completed experiments with a borrowed Sony Vaio with 64
    > bit Windows. To cut a long story short, MS seems to have a generic 64
    > bit printer driver that covers HP Laserjet 4& 5, Fuji-Xerox 405 etc.
    > It does not have the bells and whistles of the proper driver but does
    > duplex, tray selection and booklet printing - in other words it meets
    > most needs. MS Publisher and Acrobat pdf reader have various printing
    > options as well so all bases seem covered.
    >
    > So a Sony Vaio business type i5 15inch notebook with 64 bit Windows is
    > most probably what will be purchased.
    >
    > Thanks again to those who contributed.

    Peter

    A comment on Brands & Models if I may.

    Being for my sins a free lance Tech I had noticed over the last couple
    of years a large number of 12-18 month old Laptops coming in with major
    motherboard failures. So when it came time for a new Notebook for myself
    I spend quite a bit of time researching reliability. The specifications
    were not an issue as basically you get what you pay for and I knew what
    I could get for my budget.

    Two sources of information I found were quite influential in deciding
    what brand/model I would go for in the end.

    First was the 'Squaretrade' reliability report:
    http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109
    That put Asus/Toshiba/Sony at the top & Gateway/HP at the bottom.
    (survey base of 30,000 laptops. A not insignificant number)

    The second was a best/worst Laptops survey by TechRepublic
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hi...rding-to-it-professionals/5721?tag=rbxccnbtr1
    The results of these best/worst surveys (votes more like it) were
    somewhat confusing as HP for example was voted nearly the worst 'and'
    nearly the best.

    What gives?

    To cut a long story short a Laptops reliability is nothing to do with
    price and all to do with the market it is built for.

    So when you go looking ask for 'Business' grade Laptops.
    Some brands make it easy eg HP's 'Probook' and Toshibas 'Techra' ranges.
    Others (and I put Sony in this category) make it more difficult with a
    confusing range of 'Series' that are not obviously in one camp or the other.

    Best luck with your shopping.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 23, 2011
  17. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 20, 1:03 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <033a8f33-e977-4cb4-863b-42600df5fbf2
    > @k10g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, , peterwn says...

    > > > Are you going for 64bit hardware or 32bit hardware?

    > > > What applications do you _need_ to use? 32bit or 64bit?

    > > > Pick your OS based on those considerations. :)

    > > My friend's preferred model (Sony Vaio) does not offer 32 bit Windows
    > > (unless you buy and install a 32 bit version). Machine will mostly run
    > > Office 2010 particularly Publisher.

    > > I have just completed experiments with a borrowed Sony Vaio with 64
    > > bit Windows. To cut a long story short, MS seems to have a generic 64
    > > bit printer driver that covers HP Laserjet 4 & 5, Fuji-Xerox 405 etc.
    > > It does not have the bells and whistles of the proper driver but does
    > > duplex, tray selection and booklet printing - in other words it meets
    > > most needs. MS Publisher and Acrobat pdf reader have various printing
    > > options as well so all bases seem covered.

    > > So a Sony Vaio business type i5 15inch notebook with 64 bit Windows is
    > > most probably what will be purchased.

    > > Thanks again to those who contributed.

    > A client has a wee Sony Vaio 13", Windows 7 Pro 64, i7, 8Gb.  I think it
    > was around $4,600.  He's on number three.  Failed mobo on the first two
    > - Sony told him they never get returns - yet his ones have lasted less
    > than two months.  Sony have been very good on the replacements - but
    > he's loosing patience - don't think he'll get #4 if the current one
    > dies.

    Oops! We have purchased and can only keep fingers crossed now. Just a
    thought, was it sitting on a table switched on with bright sunlight on
    it - the solar gain would be horrendous (especially for matt black).
    Knew someone who had two mobo failures on a machine some years back
    and I reckoned that was the cause.

    peterwn, Mar 23, 2011
  18. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 19, 10:24 pm, peterwn <> wrote:

    > So a Sony Vaio business type i5 15inch notebook with 64 bit Windows is
    > most probably what will be purchased.

    An interesting sequal. Got the Vaio and enclosed with it was two DVD's
    which would install a 32 bit Windows. Sony call centre had told me it
    was not available with 32 bit windows - the guy was mistaken. However
    if you went the 32 bit way, you would need to create 64 bit DVD's in
    case you wanted to install 64 bit Windows later. Also came across a HP
    machine with 32 bit Windows. It came with DVD's to re-install either
    32 bit or 64 bit Windows.

    One other interesting thing. We purchased a 'charity' version of
    Office 2010 via our national organisation. I installed it, but the
    'basic' version prevailed. I Googled the situation and found that if
    you have media available it is better to uninstall the OEM version
    completely and re-install off media. Merely using a product key
    against the 'basic' version apparently leaves rubbish lying around and
    it still keeps communicating with 'mothership'.

    peterwn, Mar 23, 2011