    What would you recommend, for the best price, ruggedness, and for
    accomodating wireless use? Hope someone has all this experience.

    Thanks for reading.

    bARUGA, Jun 6, 2005

  2. bARUGA

    Guest

    On "bARUGA" <> wrote:

    |>I have a friend who's wife sometimes travels with him by truck. She
    |>wants to buy him a laptop for the truck. She wants my advice. I'm
    |>sure she doesn't want it for herself too ;)
    |>
    |>We don't want low end, or high end. He'll want to be able to use it
    |>with his cell phone provider, which is Verizon. But may switch if
    |>necessary. I've heard that the rate for some wireless connections may
    |>be far less than any per minute cell phone rate. Is this true?
    |>
    |>What would you recommend, for the best price, ruggedness, and for
    |>accomodating wireless use? Hope someone has all this experience.

    Anything, just attach a bluetooth doggle (USB port) or pcmcia
    bluetooth card to it (pcmcia slot).

    The phone does have bluetooth right? Any other way is just too much
    trouble

    Not sure about Verizon's rates, but T-mobile has unlimited internet
    access - using laptop <> Phone Modem <> T-mobile.

    --

    , Jun 6, 2005

  3. bARUGA

    Guest

    On "bARUGA" <> wrote:

    |>I have a friend who's wife sometimes travels with him by truck. She
    |>wants to buy him a laptop for the truck. She wants my advice. I'm
    |>sure she doesn't want it for herself too ;)
    |>
    |>We don't want low end, or high end. He'll want to be able to use it
    |>with his cell phone provider, which is Verizon. But may switch if
    |>necessary. I've heard that the rate for some wireless connections may
    |>be far less than any per minute cell phone rate. Is this true?
    |>
    |>What would you recommend, for the best price, ruggedness, and for
    |>accomodating wireless use? Hope someone has all this experience.

    -Had to re-send, posted off the cuff and got it wrong-

    Anything, just attach a bluetooth doggle (USB port) or pcmcia
    bluetooth card to it (pcmcia slot).

    The phone does have bluetooth right? Any other way is just too much
    trouble

    Not sure about Verizon's rates, but Sprint has unlimited internet
    access - using laptop <> Phone Modem <> Sprint.

    Sprint uses cdma which kinda sucks and they would most likely have to
    get a new phone. The unlimited access will cost $15 (US) extra a
    month.

    I have a friend who uses Sprint as his internet access, he stress's
    that they NEVER ask for computer support, not only will they not get
    it, the service will be degraded or drop it altogether - he can't
    stress the enough - had him scared and he's a geek.

    --

    , Jun 6, 2005
  4. bARUGA

    bARUGA Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On "bARUGA" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I have a friend who's wife sometimes travels with him by truck.
    > She
    > |>wants to buy him a laptop for the truck. She wants my advice. I'm
    > |>sure she doesn't want it for herself too ;)
    > |>
    > |>We don't want low end, or high end. He'll want to be able to use
    > it
    > |>with his cell phone provider, which is Verizon. But may switch if
    > |>necessary. I've heard that the rate for some wireless connections
    > may
    > |>be far less than any per minute cell phone rate. Is this true?
    > |>
    > |>What would you recommend, for the best price, ruggedness, and for
    > |>accomodating wireless use? Hope someone has all this experience.
    >
    > -Had to re-send, posted off the cuff and got it wrong-
    >
    > Anything, just attach a bluetooth doggle (USB port) or pcmcia
    > bluetooth card to it (pcmcia slot).
    >
    > The phone does have bluetooth right?

    I don't know. I'll have to find out. What are the alternatives if it
    doesn't?

    Any other way is just too much
    > trouble

    Why's that?

    > Not sure about Verizon's rates, but Sprint has unlimited internet
    > access - using laptop <> Phone Modem <> Sprint.
    >
    > Sprint uses cdma which kinda sucks and they would most likely have to
    > get a new phone. The unlimited access will cost $15 (US) extra a
    > month.
    >
    > I have a friend who uses Sprint as his internet access, he stress's
    > that they NEVER ask for computer support, not only will they not get
    > it, the service will be degraded or drop it altogether - he can't
    > stress the enough - had him scared and he's a geek.
    >

    > --

    You have experience with this bluetooth in a like scenario?

    Thanks.

    bARUGA, Jun 6, 2005
  5. bARUGA

    Guest

    On "bARUGA" <> wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> She

    |>> it
    |>> may

    |>> -Had to re-send, posted off the cuff and got it wrong-
    |>>
    |>> Anything, just attach a bluetooth doggle (USB port) or pcmcia
    |>> bluetooth card to it (pcmcia slot).
    |>>
    |>> The phone does have bluetooth right?
    |>
    |>I don't know. I'll have to find out. What are the alternatives if it
    |>doesn't?
    |>Any other way is just too much
    |>> trouble
    |>
    |>Why's that?

    USB - uses a cable to connect the devices
    Infared you must have a line of sight between the two.

    |>> Not sure about Verizon's rates, but Sprint has unlimited internet
    |>> access - using laptop <> Phone Modem <> Sprint.
    |>>
    |>> Sprint uses cdma which kinda sucks and they would most likely have to
    |>> get a new phone. The unlimited access will cost $15 (US) extra a
    |>> month.
    |>>
    |>> I have a friend who uses Sprint as his internet access, he stress's
    |>> that they NEVER ask for computer support, not only will they not get
    |>> it, the service will be degraded or drop it altogether - he can't
    |>> stress the enough - had him scared and he's a geek.
    |>>

    |>> --
    |>
    |>You have experience with this bluetooth in a like scenario?

    I've set bluetooth up to use the phone modem just because I could :)
    but I can't justify the cost of using it too much.

    Once set up to you just treat the phone like a modem; if asked where
    you modem is just point it to the phone.

    My phone (Nokia) came with a CD with all the software supplied. You
    might have to go to your/their phones webpage and download the
    software you need

    --
    Scary truth about your computing future
    http://tinyurl.com/dm885 taken from http://tinyurl.com/d5rkn