    strange behaviour? Any advice on battery management would also be welcome
    because it's been a very expensive purchase.

    Thanks in advance.

    John Barry, Feb 27, 2005

  2. John Barry

    philo Guest

    "John Barry" <> wrote in message
    news:cvsitl$fo3$...
    > I recently bought a new battery for my laptop (an Advent 6415 Combo). The
    > original had died after just over three years.
    >
    > The suppliers of the new one, Partmaster Direct, originally sent out the
    > wrong replacement, though I've now got the correct one. I suspect they

    also
    > gave me some mistaken advice. The guy on the phone told me to charge it

    up
    > for 16 hours to "activate" it.
    >
    > After following this advice I tried booting up on battery power.

    Nothing!!
    > When I connected to the mains adaptor the Power Meter read "0% and

    charging"
    > and the battery eventually charged up. Could anybody shed light on this
    > strange behaviour? Any advice on battery management would also be welcome
    > because it's been a very expensive purchase.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    because the battery could have been sitting in a warehouse for a few
    months...
    it's typically advisable to charge it first before using it.
    if you charged it for 16 hours as advised..then put it in your laptop and
    found it to be dead...
    the charger you used is clearly defective...
    (unless you plugged it into a dead outlet)

    philo, Feb 27, 2005

  3. John Barry

    WormWood Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "John Barry" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently bought a new battery for my laptop (an Advent 6415 Combo).
    >> The
    >> original had died after just over three years.
    >>
    >> The suppliers of the new one, Partmaster Direct, originally sent out
    >> the
    >> wrong replacement, though I've now got the correct one. I suspect
    >> they

    > also
    >> gave me some mistaken advice. The guy on the phone told me to charge
    >> it

    > up
    >> for 16 hours to "activate" it.
    >>
    >> After following this advice I tried booting up on battery power.

    > Nothing!!
    >> When I connected to the mains adaptor the Power Meter read "0% and

    > charging"
    >> and the battery eventually charged up. Could anybody shed light on
    >> this
    >> strange behaviour? Any advice on battery management would also be
    >> welcome
    >> because it's been a very expensive purchase.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > because the battery could have been sitting in a warehouse for a few
    > months...
    > it's typically advisable to charge it first before using it.
    > if you charged it for 16 hours as advised..then put it in your laptop
    > and
    > found it to be dead...
    > the charger you used is clearly defective...
    > (unless you plugged it into a dead outlet)

    That's strange....plugging my laptop into an electrical outlet with
    battery in the computer is the proper way to go to recharge.

    WormWood, Feb 27, 2005
  4. John Barry

    philo Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "John Barry" <> wrote in message
    > >> I recently bought a new battery for my laptop (an Advent 6415 Combo).
    > >> The
    > >> original had died after just over three years.
    > >>
    > >> The suppliers of the new one, Partmaster Direct, originally sent out
    > >> the
    > >> wrong replacement, though I've now got the correct one. I suspect
    > >> they

    > > also
    > >> gave me some mistaken advice. The guy on the phone told me to charge
    > >> it

    > > up
    > >> for 16 hours to "activate" it.
    > >>

    > That's strange....plugging my laptop into an electrical outlet with
    > battery in the computer is the proper way to go to recharge.

    the OP might have been using some external charger...
    the type which discharges the battery first to prevent it from developing a
    memory

    philo, Feb 27, 2005