    what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And last, how one could
    go about selling the pictures?
    Thank You for any advice

    compitus, Mar 20, 2005

  2. compitus

    rafe bustin Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:31:32 -0800, "compitus" <>
    wrote:

    >As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
    >and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
    >questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
    >pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,
    >what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And last, how one could
    >go about selling the pictures?
    >Thank You for any advice

    The best camera you can afford, and not
    necessarily a digital one. Digital capture
    has lots of benefits and advantages, but
    isn't necessarily the most cost-effective
    approach toward large, high-quality, saleable
    prints.

    Epson, Canon and HP all make fine large-
    format printers.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Mar 20, 2005

  3. compitus

    Scott W Guest

    How much are you willing to pay for the camera? The print sizes you
    are talking about are pretty big so a camera like the 1Ds Mark II or a
    MF camera with a digital back would work best but have high cost.

    I got to tell you from your post I think you need to do a lot more
    research as to what you are getting yourself into. The idea that you
    will be making and selling large prints of National Parks and selling
    them but you don't want to be bothered with PS seems odd.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 20, 2005
  4. >As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
    >and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
    >questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
    >pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,

    It's not easy to get a good large print. I would go with a film
    camera, and shoot slides, or, if you're up to it, with a medium format
    camera.

    If you do go digital, consider that a good print needs at least 200dpi
    (300 is nicer, 400 nicer yet, beyond that, it doesn't make as much
    difference). At 200dpi, your 20"x30" print needs 4000x6000 pixels, or
    12MPix. Not easy to find.

    What you might want to do is try taking two shots for each picture,
    each at 6MPix, and then stitching the two together. Again, it's not
    easy to do right, but once you get the knack, you'll end up with much
    better prints than you otherwise would.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 20, 2005
  5. compitus

    Scott W Guest

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    > >As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park-

    Yellowstone, Bryce
    > >and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I

    have few
    > >questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give

    enough
    > >pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS?

    Also,

    > It's not easy to get a good large print. I would go with a film
    > camera, and shoot slides, or, if you're up to it, with a medium

    format
    > camera.
    >
    > If you do go digital, consider that a good print needs at least

    200dpi
    > (300 is nicer, 400 nicer yet, beyond that, it doesn't make as much
    > difference). At 200dpi, your 20"x30" print needs 4000x6000 pixels,

    or
    > 12MPix. Not easy to find.

    Easy to find, just not easy to afford.

    > What you might want to do is try taking two shots for each picture,
    > each at 6MPix, and then stitching the two together. Again, it's not
    > easy to do right, but once you get the knack, you'll end up with much
    > better prints than you otherwise would.

    This is a very good idea, make sure to shoot fully manual if you do
    this, I do a lot where I stitch 4 images together in 2x2 array.

    Scott W, Mar 20, 2005
  6. compitus

    bob Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    >>What you might want to do is try taking two shots for each picture,
    >>each at 6MPix, and then stitching the two together. Again, it's not
    >>easy to do right, but once you get the knack, you'll end up with much
    >>better prints than you otherwise would.

    > This is a very good idea, make sure to shoot fully manual if you do
    > this, I do a lot where I stitch 4 images together in 2x2 array.

    Which software do you use to stitch the array together? I've done some
    panoramas, mostly 1x2 to get a wider field of view, and I've been
    curious to try making some arrays. I've even built a panorama head. I'm
    thinking of getting PTGui.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 20, 2005
  7. compitus

    Scott W Guest

    bob wrote:
    > Scott W wrote:
    > > Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    > >>What you might want to do is try taking two shots for each picture,
    > >>each at 6MPix, and then stitching the two together. Again, it's

    not
    > >>easy to do right, but once you get the knack, you'll end up with

    much
    > >>better prints than you otherwise would.

    > > This is a very good idea, make sure to shoot fully manual if you do
    > > this, I do a lot where I stitch 4 images together in 2x2 array.

    > Which software do you use to stitch the array together? I've done

    some
    > panoramas, mostly 1x2 to get a wider field of view, and I've been
    > curious to try making some arrays. I've even built a panorama head.

    I'm
    > thinking of getting PTGui.
    >
    > Bob

    I use PTGui, it is not very automatic but it have given me the best
    results.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 20, 2005
  8. compitus

    PeterM Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > How much are you willing to pay for the camera? The print sizes you
    > are talking about are pretty big so a camera like the 1Ds Mark II or a
    > MF camera with a digital back would work best but have high cost.
    >
    > I got to tell you from your post I think you need to do a lot more
    > research as to what you are getting yourself into. The idea that you
    > will be making and selling large prints of National Parks and selling
    > them but you don't want to be bothered with PS seems odd.
    >
    > Scott

    I agree with Scott.
    I believe that you are starting at the wrong end of the problem.
    To whom are you going to sell your pictures? What and where are the
    markets?
    If you are certain that you are going to have to produce 30 x 16
    prints the cost of digital equipment including printer is going to be
    quite considerable.
    The more economical way to go would be with a good quality film
    camera, I suggest a second hand medium format with interchangeable
    lenses (Mamiya C330 or similar).
    Use reversal film not negative and have a good quality professional
    printer produce your prints.
    I know that this works, I have done it!
    Good luck
    Peter M

    PeterM, Mar 20, 2005
  9. compitus

    Crownfield Guest

    compitus wrote:

    > As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
    > and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
    > questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
    > pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,
    > what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And last, how one could
    > go about selling the pictures?
    > Thank You for any advice

    if you are not going to do all of this,
    you will spend the money to have fun, not make money.
    thats ok too, as long as you understand it.

    first, learn what you are doing.
    good photographs are not just shots out the window
    while you are doing something else.
    if they are, you will fail.

    get to know google.com. learn how to find things there.
    find other outdoor photographers sites.
    pick ones that show you what they got.
    spend some time looking at other peoples outdoor shots.
    learn from them.
    if you do not plan to take the time to get good shots, you fail

    next question is getting the images.
    bare mininum of 6mp.
    12mp is better.

    (22mp would really be nice.)
    (my wife would kill me on the spot.)

    go look at a few cameras.
    fuji s2,s3, nikon d2x, and a few canon choices.
    which ones feel right?

    you will eventually need a wide range of lenses,
    from very wide to telephoto.
    probably a 12-24, a 17-35, 80-300.

    I would not use teleconverters for 20x30 prints.
    I would not use economy lenses for 20x30 prints.

    after you try them, you will know what you need,
    maybe something even longer.

    get good shots. sharp, well exposed and well composed.

    know what to do with the images to make sure
    that white balance is correct,
    that the exposure and contrast are corrected.
    if you do not plan to take the time to correct them, you fail.

    for output:

    exposuremanager will print exactly what you sent them.

    check exposuremanager.com.
    they will upload your images,
    and print them as people order them.
    your cost: $80 per year. no printer required.

    output can be tee shirts, pro prints, mousepads, etc.
    I rate quality and support response as amazing.

    any questions, ask.

    Crownfield, Mar 20, 2005
  10. >for output:

    >exposuremanager will print exactly what you sent them.
    >
    >check exposuremanager.com.
    >they will upload your images,
    >and print them as people order them.
    >your cost: $80 per year. no printer required.

    How is this better than dotphoto.com, which (seems to?) do the same
    thing without the $80/year?

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 20, 2005
  11. compitus

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone,
    Bryce
    > and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have

    few
    > questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give

    enough
    > pixels to make about 16/30" print of it,

    Whatever camera you have. Take a tripod, learn to use stitching software,
    and you can make as large of prints as you want at the full resolution of
    the printer.

    Even with a 16-megapixel 1Ds Mk II, for a 30" print, will only be at 166
    DPI. Now that's not terrible, but with even a $1000 DigiReb XT or D70, in
    just about one minute you can take enough prints to stitch together an image
    that will make a 400 DPI print 30", 40", 60", or larger. Your only
    restriction is that the subjects have to hold still while you're shooting!

    > without tweaking it in PS? Also,
    > what kind of wide format printer would You recomend?

    There are various print houses that have invested in the printers, unless
    you are planning on selling a LOT of these, it's probably cheaper to go
    through them.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Mar 21, 2005
  12. compitus

    Crownfield Guest

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

    > >for output:
    > >
    > >exposuremanager will print exactly what you sent them.
    > >
    > >check exposuremanager.com.
    > >they will upload your images,
    > >and print them as people order them.
    > >your cost: $80 per year. no printer required.

    > How is this better than dotphoto.com, which (seems to?) do the same
    > thing without the $80/year?

    never tried dotphoto.

    i have unlimited storage,
    when i ask a question my reply comes from the manager,
    and is either 'do it this way',
    or 'we fixed the problem',
    or 'what a good idea, expect to see it work in a week or two'.

    the 20x30 are very good.
    the tee shirts are very good.
    printed directly on the tee, not a transfer.

    http://vircen.com/tmpem/DSCF0098-a.jpg

    Crownfield, Mar 21, 2005
  13. compitus

    Stacey Guest

    compitus wrote:

    > As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone,
    > Bryce and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I
    > have few questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and
    > give enough pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it
    > in PS?

    Medium format film camera or larger. One of the 6X9 fuji rangefinders would
    work good for this. I had their 6X9 GSW and it's awsome.

    Using affordable digital isn't going to go that big and look good without
    stiching/lots of PS work. If I made prints that size, I wouldn't be
    shooting digital.
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Mar 21, 2005
  14. compitus

    Colin D Guest

    compitus wrote:

    > As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone, Bryce
    > and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I have few
    > questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and give enough
    > pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it in PS? Also,
    > what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And last, how one could
    > go about selling the pictures?
    > Thank You for any advice

    That's a pretty good job, to have perks like National Park locations to
    visit! There's one thing, though you should check out before you get
    too carried away with the idea.

    There have been posters on these photographic NG's who have taken shots
    on the boss's time - I remember a stunner shot of deer standing n the
    middle of a river while a forest fire raged about them. The photog.
    commented that since he took the shot while on duty, the copyright, and
    hence any profits, were the property of the company which employed him.

    If you're on contract, or even permanent staff, check this out. Even if
    after hours, if the boss paid for you to be there, he could have a
    claim. I hope you're in the clear, though.

    Colin.

    Colin D, Mar 21, 2005
  15. compitus

    Steve Guest

    Colin D wrote:

    > If you're on contract, or even permanent staff, check this out. Even if
    > after hours, if the boss paid for you to be there, he could have a
    > claim. I hope you're in the clear, though.

    If you ever buy a winning lottery ticket while also buying pencils for the office I
    hope your employer gives you a bonus with the money they win.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.

    Steve, Mar 21, 2005
  16. compitus

    Colin D Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Colin D wrote:
    >
    > > If you're on contract, or even permanent staff, check this out. Even if
    > > after hours, if the boss paid for you to be there, he could have a
    > > claim. I hope you're in the clear, though.

    > If you ever buy a winning lottery ticket while also buying pencils for the office I
    > hope your employer gives you a bonus with the money they win.

    Are you making a genuine, helpful point, or are you just a natural
    smartass?

    Colin

    Colin D, Mar 21, 2005
  17. compitus

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "compitus" <> wrote in message
    > As part of my job, I am every week in some National Park- Yellowstone,
    > Bryce and so on. I am thinking to take some photos (yes, to sell them). I
    > have few questions:What camera wold be best suitable to take picture and
    > give enough pixels to make about 16/30" print of it, without tweaking it
    > in PS? Also, what kind of wide format printer would You recomend? And
    > last, how one could go about selling the pictures?
    > Thank You for any advice

    Well, if you don't already have any idea what kind of camera to buy for the
    purpose, I wonder if you have the expertise to shoot professional-quality
    photos. Just being in the right place with a good camera isn't all there is
    to it ;)

    That aside, though, one way to get very high resolution images without very
    high end equipment is through panorama stitching--this is particularly
    suitable for landscapes, since the is not moving and wide prints are
    appropriate. To see what I'm talking about, take a look at Max Lyon's
    images:

    http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/index.html

    I have nothing like Max's patience or expertise, but you can do some pretty
    nice things with just a few handheld shots. Here, for example, is a
    panorama I made with 4 handheld 8MP images on a recent Virgin Island's
    sailing trip (the original version is about 20MP). No idea if anybody'd pay
    money for something like it, but similar images have made very nice prints
    for my walls:

    http://www.fototime.com/67DD7ED9E3B006B/orig.jpg

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Mar 21, 2005
  18. compitus

    rafe bustin Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:01:57 -0500, "Mark Weaver"
    <> wrote:

    >I have nothing like Max's patience or expertise, but you can do some pretty
    >nice things with just a few handheld shots. Here, for example, is a
    >panorama I made with 4 handheld 8MP images on a recent Virgin Island's
    >sailing trip (the original version is about 20MP). No idea if anybody'd pay
    >money for something like it, but similar images have made very nice prints
    >for my walls:
    >
    >http://www.fototime.com/67DD7ED9E3B006B/orig.jpg
    >
    >Mark

    Nice work there. There could be a market
    for this as stock photography, if not an
    individual collector.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Mar 21, 2005
  19. compitus

    Crownfield Guest

    Mark Weaver wrote:

    > To see what I'm talking about, take a look at Max Lyon's
    > images:
    >
    > http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/index.html
    >
    > I have nothing like Max's patience or expertise, but you can do some pretty
    > nice things with just a few handheld shots. Here, for example, is a
    > panorama I made with 4 handheld 8MP images on a recent Virgin Island's
    > sailing trip (the original version is about 20MP). No idea if anybody'd pay
    > money for something like it, but similar images have made very nice prints
    > for my walls:
    >
    > http://www.fototime.com/67DD7ED9E3B006B/orig.jpg

    mark:
    spectacular!

    Crownfield, Mar 21, 2005
  20. compitus

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "rafe bustin" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:01:57 -0500, "Mark Weaver"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have nothing like Max's patience or expertise, but you can do some
    >>pretty
    >>nice things with just a few handheld shots. Here, for example, is a
    >>panorama I made with 4 handheld 8MP images on a recent Virgin Island's
    >>sailing trip (the original version is about 20MP). No idea if anybody'd
    >>pay
    >>money for something like it, but similar images have made very nice prints
    >>for my walls:
    >>
    >>http://www.fototime.com/67DD7ED9E3B006B/orig.jpg
    >>
    >>Mark

    > Nice work there. There could be a market
    > for this as stock photography, if not an
    > individual collector.

    Thanks. That has occurred to me from time to time, but it was never obvious
    that trying to do the stock photo thing would generate enough money to make
    it worth the trouble of preparing and submitting images (not to mention
    figuring out which of the web agencies aren't scams). I have given a couple
    images away for a calendar and 'zine, but that's it.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Mar 21, 2005