    is good, too, as I am not a geek. My 56K Dslextreme Dial up is quite
    fast in my area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Alice

    Alice, Jan 30, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > Does anyone have any good recommendations on an anonymizer service for
    > shielding my IP when I browse? Anonymizer.com offer their Net Shield
    > for about $99 a year. Zero Knowledge offers their service for about
    > $60. Then there's IDzap for $50 a year.
    >
    > I want something which absolutely won't slow down this browzer
    > (98/5.5) or interfere with normal operations. Easy to use and install
    > is good, too, as I am not a geek. My 56K Dslextreme Dial up is quite
    > fast in my area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > Alice

    any proxy has the potential to slow down your web browsing, however,
    since you're on a slow, 56k connection, chances are not very likely. i
    recommend www.cotse.net, which offers a hell of a lot more than just a
    proxy, for $5.95 a month.... $71.40 a year.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Alice

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On 30 Jan 2004 10:59:20 -0800, (Alice)
    wrote:

    >Does anyone have any good recommendations on an anonymizer service for
    >shielding my IP when I browse? Anonymizer.com offer their Net Shield
    >for about $99 a year. Zero Knowledge offers their service for about
    >$60. Then there's IDzap for $50 a year.
    >
    >I want something which absolutely won't slow down this browzer
    >(98/5.5) or interfere with normal operations. Easy to use and install
    >is good, too, as I am not a geek. My 56K Dslextreme Dial up is quite
    >fast in my area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >Alice

    Colonel Flagg answered but I wanted to add something. I'm on Win98SE
    with dialup service and don't notice any slowing down with COTSE's
    service.

    And speaking as a helpdesk volunteer at COTSE, if you need help with
    the service, we are here to help. :)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jan 31, 2004
  4. If the choice were just between Anonymizer's Total Shield and Cotse,
    Cotse is my choice. It offers a hell of a lot more than Total Sheild
    for a good bit less $$. (Although, the secure tunnelling software for
    Total Shield is easier to set up and has more uses than Cotse's
    configuration of Stunnel and Ctunnel). Plus you can subscribe to Cotse
    for as short a period as one month, putting only $5.95 on the line to
    see if you like it. I believe all the other services require longer
    subscription periods.

    But if you go to http://anonymizer.com/products.shtml and look down
    the page you can find their Private Surfing 2.1 for only $30 a year.
    It may be a good choice for you. If you use IE6 you can use the handy
    dandy tool bar that integrates into your browser. I've used their new
    Privacy Manager and find it slows surfing down to somewhere between a
    crawl and a dead stop. I'd stay away from that one.

    As for interferring with "normal operations", you might have to live
    with some websites not functioning completely because of the
    javascript filtering the proxies do. You could also have problems with
    applets, plug-ins and other gizmos depending on which service you use
    and which settings you choose. Your conditions that the browser
    "absolutely won't slow down" and will behave "normally" may not be
    perfectly achievable. Sometimes you need to make some trade offs
    between functionality and privacy/security.

    This is my real name, really., Jan 31, 2004
  5. Alice

    Alice Guest

    Colonel Flagg <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Does anyone have any good recommendations on an anonymizer service for
    > > shielding my IP when I browse? Anonymizer.com offer their Net Shield
    > > for about $99 a year. Zero Knowledge offers their service for about
    > > $60. Then there's IDzap for $50 a year.
    > >
    > > I want something which absolutely won't slow down this browzer
    > > (98/5.5) or interfere with normal operations. Easy to use and install
    > > is good, too, as I am not a geek. My 56K Dslextreme Dial up is quite
    > > fast in my area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > > Alice
    > >

    > any proxy has the potential to slow down your web browsing, however,
    > since you're on a slow, 56k connection, chances are not very likely. i
    > recommend www.cotse.net, which offers a hell of a lot more than just a
    > proxy, for $5.95 a month.... $71.40 a year.

    Went to your website - don't think anyone should mess with you.

    Anyway, very kind of you to take the time to reply, Colonel. I checked
    out coste,net and they do offer a bunch of stuff, especially with the
    email thing. My main concern, however, is my actual IP in the headers.
    Also, being able to post right through Google Groups as I hate
    Internet Explorer and everything I have ever tried to confugure in
    there has gotten screwed up, much less setting up a newsreader and
    posting through it. Same with using their e-mail.

    Know anyone who's used Coste for posting to Usenet, or Google Groups?
    The reason I ask is I talked Anonymizer into letting me actually try
    their system before subscribing (darn good thing, too) and it's
    terrible. It messes up the Google posting program itself, shuts our
    your Yahoo and Hotmail, and takes forever to get through their servers
    to actually post anything. My dial up runs very fast (52-53k) and I
    usually toggle and post quite fast. So clearly this is not the answer.
    Are all proxy services this slow with their servers? I was thinking of
    trying Zero Konowledge but won't touch any of these now without first
    actually seeing what they do to my browser or other programs.

    Do you know of a way of finding, say, just one very fast and one very
    reliable and truly anonymous IP to post through and being done with
    it? Like, if they could guarantee me the same speed as my current
    provider, and an easy way to hook up with them, I would gladly pay
    them $100 bucks a year for access.

    Thanks a bunch for your kind reply. Any further hints would be greatly
    appreciated. Gotta find a way around being queued up behind slow
    servers.

    Alice, Jan 31, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > Colonel Flagg <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > Does anyone have any good recommendations on an anonymizer service for
    > > > shielding my IP when I browse? Anonymizer.com offer their Net Shield
    > > > for about $99 a year. Zero Knowledge offers their service for about
    > > > $60. Then there's IDzap for $50 a year.
    > > >
    > > > I want something which absolutely won't slow down this browzer
    > > > (98/5.5) or interfere with normal operations. Easy to use and install
    > > > is good, too, as I am not a geek. My 56K Dslextreme Dial up is quite
    > > > fast in my area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > > > Alice
    > > >

    > > any proxy has the potential to slow down your web browsing, however,
    > > since you're on a slow, 56k connection, chances are not very likely. i
    > > recommend www.cotse.net, which offers a hell of a lot more than just a
    > > proxy, for $5.95 a month.... $71.40 a year.

    > Went to your website - don't think anyone should mess with you.

    and that's the way I want it :)

    > Anyway, very kind of you to take the time to reply, Colonel. I checked
    > out coste,net and they do offer a bunch of stuff, especially with the
    > email thing. My main concern, however, is my actual IP in the headers.
    > Also, being able to post right through Google Groups as I hate
    > Internet Explorer and everything I have ever tried to confugure in
    > there has gotten screwed up, much less setting up a newsreader and
    > posting through it. Same with using their e-mail.
    >
    > Know anyone who's used Coste for posting to Usenet, or Google Groups?

    Google Groups is usenet. Cotse has it's own interface for email and
    usenet (groups) and neither post your IP address.

    > The reason I ask is I talked Anonymizer into letting me actually try
    > their system before subscribing (darn good thing, too) and it's
    > terrible. It messes up the Google posting program itself, shuts our
    > your Yahoo and Hotmail, and takes forever to get through their servers
    > to actually post anything.

    Hotmail, Yahoo and Google all work fine through the Cotse Proxy.

    > My dial up runs very fast (52-53k) and I
    > usually toggle and post quite fast. So clearly this is not the answer.
    > Are all proxy services this slow with their servers?

    I doubt with you being on a dialup line, unless you're talking about
    downloading binaries, you'd even notice you're using the Cotse Proxy.
    Yes, it's slower than using broadband, but it's not much different when
    using dialup.

    > I was thinking of
    > trying Zero Konowledge but won't touch any of these now without first
    > actually seeing what they do to my browser or other programs.
    >
    > Do you know of a way of finding, say, just one very fast and one very
    > reliable and truly anonymous IP to post through and being done with
    > it?

    There's no service that provides 100% anonymous BROWSING (proxy). It
    will _always_ trace back as far as the _service_ (not you of course).
    This makes it "pseudo anonymous". There's proxies being developed, of
    which I keep an eye on their mailing lists that's "suppose" to be
    anonymous and full-proof. Only time will tell if they're able to do it
    or not.

    > Like, if they could guarantee me the same speed as my current
    > provider, and an easy way to hook up with them, I would gladly pay
    > them $100 bucks a year for access.

    They'll never be something completely "easy". You will _always_ need to
    configure your browser AND if a service provides an installer that does
    this for you, you *could* wind up without the knowledge necessary to
    uninstall it, *if* something goes wrong.

    Setting up the Cotse Transparent Proxy is rather easy. Using the
    WebProxy is easy as pie.

    > Thanks a bunch for your kind reply. Any further hints would be greatly
    > appreciated. Gotta find a way around being queued up behind slow
    > servers.

    np.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Feb 1, 2004
  7. In article <>, me-no-
    says...

    > As for interferring with "normal operations", you might have to live
    > with some websites not functioning completely because of the
    > javascript filtering the proxies do. You could also have problems with
    > applets, plug-ins and other gizmos depending on which service you use
    > and which settings you choose. Your conditions that the browser
    > "absolutely won't slow down" and will behave "normally" may not be
    > perfectly achievable. Sometimes you need to make some trade offs
    > between functionality and privacy/security.

    Very good points. If you want anonymity, there's a high chance you're
    gonna need to give up some functionality of certain websites.

    Applets, etc. "run on your machine", meaning, each applet would need to
    be recoded (which is NOT possible) to use the proxy you're trying to
    use.... it's impossible to recode all applets "on the fly" and make they
    go through the proxy... in fact, it may not be possible to get most
    applets to even go through the proxy. Anything that runs on the local
    machine has the potential to do harm (let alone some things that run on
    the server) allowing it to run through an "anonymous proxy" is
    dangerous... it's best to block these applets and deal with the problems
    associated.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Alice

    Alice Guest

    Colonel Flagg <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>, me-no-
    > says...
    >

    > > As for interferring with "normal operations", you might have to live
    > > with some websites not functioning completely because of the
    > > javascript filtering the proxies do. You could also have problems with
    > > applets, plug-ins and other gizmos depending on which service you use
    > > and which settings you choose. Your conditions that the browser
    > > "absolutely won't slow down" and will behave "normally" may not be
    > > perfectly achievable. Sometimes you need to make some trade offs
    > > between functionality and privacy/security.
    > >

    > Very good points. If you want anonymity, there's a high chance you're
    > gonna need to give up some functionality of certain websites.
    >
    > Applets, etc. "run on your machine", meaning, each applet would need to
    > be recoded (which is NOT possible) to use the proxy you're trying to
    > use.... it's impossible to recode all applets "on the fly" and make they
    > go through the proxy... in fact, it may not be possible to get most
    > applets to even go through the proxy. Anything that runs on the local
    > machine has the potential to do harm (let alone some things that run on
    > the server) allowing it to run through an "anonymous proxy" is
    > dangerous... it's best to block these applets and deal with the problems
    > associated.
    >
    > --
    > Colonel Flagg
    > http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Sir, thanks so very much for your kind help. This was driving me nuts
    and you steered me in the right direction with Cotse. Their e-mail
    program is truly amazing. Plugging in the proxy IP in Tools was also a
    snap. Too, their help online chat desk is a marvelous aid for dummies
    like me.

    I just wish someone had clued me in on these folks a long time ago,
    because i certainly did make enough inquiries. You're a kind and
    considerate guy who knows what the hell he is talking about. I'm
    deeply indebted.

    PS - How come your IP is not shown in the headers? I know, it's way
    over my head. Just thought I'd ask.

    Alice, Feb 1, 2004