Advice on fixing HP Lasetjet 6P printer?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Aug 25, 2007.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    Just hoping to catch the eye of anyone knowing how to maintain and repair
    HP laserjet printers.
    My Laserjet 6P print quality has recently deteriorated.
    A new print of a document starts out OK but, at the bottom of page 1, or
    when on page 2 it starts to print a "ghost" at the left side of the page.

    The "ghost" appears to be a faint impression of something already printed
    further up the page - offset down the page by about 75 mm. This would seem
    to be about equivalent to one revolution of the green cylinder drum in the
    toner cartridge, so I'm guessing that some of the toner is not transferring
    from the drum to the paper, and is coming off one revolution later?

    I find that if I remove the toner cartridge and wipe the green cylinder
    with a soft cloth, whilst turning the cylinder with the adjacent gear
    wheel, it will then initially produce a clean print, but the ghosting comes
    back within one page.

    There's also a small brush clipped inside the printer just above and
    forward of the toner cartridge, which can be inserted to brush underneath a
    ledge, forward of the cartridge. I've inserted the brush and moved it from
    side to side along the track it seems to be designed to follow, but don't
    know what this is supposed to do.

    I'm wondering if the fault is with the cartridge, but I don't feel inclined
    to buy a new one just to find out, as they are quite expensive.

    If anyone can offer advice or point me to somewhere I can find technical
    info on how I might fix this, I would be grateful.

    I tried searching the HP site at one stage, but didn't find anything to
    assist with this - maybe looked in the wrong places.

    Cheers,

    John S

    (posted to nz.comp, nz.tech. Follow up set to nz.tech)

    John S, Aug 25, 2007