Advice on Digital Prints at Boots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gatecrasher, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Gatecrasher

    Gatecrasher Guest

    Greetings,

    I have a 100 or so digital pictures (taken with a 2.1 Mb Casio QV2900
    and a 3.1Mb Fuji S3000) of two babies that I would like to have
    printed out as photographs to give to the proud parents/grandparents.

    Boots currently have a special offer of 50 pictures for 5 pounds but
    have no further details on their website. Can anyone help with any of
    the followng:

    Are the prints film ratio format (1:1.5) or digital ratio format
    (1:1.33)?

    What size are the prints? (6x4?)

    If the ratio is different do they crop or resize to best fit (leaving
    white borders)?

    Can you specify more than one copy of certain photos?

    Will they accept the photos from a CD-Rom?

    Best wishes,

    Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Gatecrasher

    Sabineellen Guest

    >I have a 100 or so digital pictures (taken with a 2.1 Mb Casio QV2900
    >and a 3.1Mb Fuji S3000) of two babies that I would like to have
    >printed out as photographs to give to the proud parents/grandparents

    I never understood why people are "proud" of babies.
    Sabineellen, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Gatecrasher

    Zorg Guest

    Gatecrasher wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a 100 or so digital pictures (taken with a 2.1 Mb Casio QV2900
    > and a 3.1Mb Fuji S3000) of two babies that I would like to have
    > printed out as photographs to give to the proud parents/grandparents.
    >
    > Boots currently have a special offer of 50 pictures for 5 pounds but
    > have no further details on their website. Can anyone help with any of
    > the followng:
    >
    > Are the prints film ratio format (1:1.5) or digital ratio format
    > (1:1.33)?
    >
    > What size are the prints? (6x4?)
    >
    > If the ratio is different do they crop or resize to best fit (leaving
    > white borders)?
    >
    > Can you specify more than one copy of certain photos?

    If not, simply copy the files of the images you require multiple prints
    of the requisite number of times, on the media you take to Boots.

    Zorg, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Gatecrasher

    Ged Guest

    Zorg <> wrote in message news:<cenagu$mc$>...
    > Gatecrasher wrote:
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > I have a 100 or so digital pictures (taken with a 2.1 Mb Casio QV2900
    > > and a 3.1Mb Fuji S3000) of two babies that I would like to have
    > > printed out as photographs to give to the proud parents/grandparents.
    > >
    > > Boots currently have a special offer of 50 pictures for 5 pounds but
    > > have no further details on their website. Can anyone help with any of
    > > the followng:
    > >
    > > Are the prints film ratio format (1:1.5) or digital ratio format
    > > (1:1.33)?
    > >
    > > What size are the prints? (6x4?)
    > >
    > > If the ratio is different do they crop or resize to best fit (leaving
    > > white borders)?
    > >
    > > Can you specify more than one copy of certain photos?

    > If not, simply copy the files of the images you require multiple prints
    > of the requisite number of times, on the media you take to Boots.
    >

    > > Will they accept the photos from a CD-Rom?
    > >

    > > Best wishes,
    > >
    > > Gatecrasher

    Here's my experience of them : Clueless, unhelpful and jobsworth..

    But then again, my wife took the card in..so maybe it was her :) LOL

    You have to have the exact number of pictures on the card i.e not 51
    as they don't allow you to select which pictures you want. So off she
    went to delete one jpeg. Also,if you want multiple copies of one print
    then you will need to include them as seperate jpegs on the card.

    Make sure the pictures are not in any folders on the card as the
    person on the counter is so brainless they didn't know how to access
    the folders using their pc, e.g , my canon puts the pictures into
    folders of 100 on my 512 meg card and calles them Cannon 114, Cannon
    115 etc etc..So essentially, wipe the card and transfer the jpegs
    directly to it.

    The pictures are ALL done via a machine that does best guess on the
    crop. So ( my mistake here ), don't crop them, make them look even
    more beautiful and change any of the perspective that the original
    photo had been taken in. Otherwise you'll get back lovely photos with
    heads missing mainly..I asked before showing the pictures about
    quality control and was assured they were all checked very well before
    given to customers..Imagine his face when about 35% of the film were
    of headless people..

    IF you do wish to have a manual control of the crop then they will
    point you to a standalone PC that allows you the jessops style of
    control where you can select number of prints and best crop etc
    etc...That however costs 35p per print..A tad more expensive!

    Have fun explaining to the saturday boy why your prints dont look
    correct
    Ged, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Gatecrasher

    Keith Guest

    Gatecrasher <> wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a 100 or so digital pictures (taken with a 2.1 Mb Casio QV2900
    > and a 3.1Mb Fuji S3000) of two babies that I would like to have
    > printed out as photographs to give to the proud parents/grandparents.
    >
    > Boots currently have a special offer of 50 pictures for 5 pounds but
    > have no further details on their website. Can anyone help with any of
    > the followng:
    >
    > Are the prints film ratio format (1:1.5) or digital ratio format
    > (1:1.33)?
    >
    > What size are the prints? (6x4?)
    >
    > If the ratio is different do they crop or resize to best fit (leaving
    > white borders)?
    >
    > Can you specify more than one copy of certain photos?
    >
    > Will they accept the photos from a CD-Rom?
    >

    > Best wishes,
    >
    > Gatecrasher

    Have you thought about burning the photos onto a DVD that your parents
    can play a slideshow on their TV/DVD player?
    Keith, Aug 3, 2004
  6. Gatecrasher

    Gatecrasher Guest

    Thank you all for the pointers. I thought Boots were pretty clueless
    when they weren't able to answer any of my questions themselves.

    I have prepared a CD with a total of 50 JPEGs all cropped to 1:1.5
    ratio using the Kodak EasyShare software - Why doesn't anyone else
    have a nice easy cropping facility (FotoSlate has one but it is only
    for printing and you can't save the results).

    Thanks...

    Gatecrasher, Aug 4, 2004