    Could you please help me?

    Thanks in advance
    Guido

    gb, May 12, 2009

  2. gb

    Scott Guest

    On May 12, 9:44 am, gb <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I bought an used 1841 cisco router on ebay and it came with this IOS
    > version:
    >
    > Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4
    > (10), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    > System image file is "flash:c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-10.bin"
    >
    > I'd like to check that this IOS version is OK  (i.e. without major
    > bugs, not being tampered and so on)
    >
    > Could you please help me?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Guido

    To check for bugs on use the Cisco Bug Toolkit:
    http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

    To verify if your IOS image has been modified from the original:

    "To verify that a Cisco IOS software image was not corrupted while it
    was transfered to the router, copy the image from where it is stored
    on your router to a Unix server. Also copy the same image from CCO
    (Cisco.com) to the same Unix server. (The name may need to be modified
    if you try to save the IOS image in the same directory as the image
    that you copied from the router.) Now run a Unix diff command on the
    two Cisco IOS software images. If there is no difference then the IOS
    image stored on the router has not been corrupted. "

    Source: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/configfun/command/reference/frifs.html#wp1018734

    Scott, May 13, 2009

  3. gb

    bod43 Guest

    On 13 May, 18:44, Scott <> wrote:
    > On May 12, 9:44 am, gb <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I bought an used 1841 cisco router on ebay and it came with this IOS
    > > version:

    > > Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4
    > > (10), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    > > System image file is "flash:c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-10.bin"

    > > I'd like to check that this IOS version is OK  (i.e. without major
    > > bugs, not being tampered and so on)

    > > Could you please help me?

    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Guido

    > To check for bugs on use the Cisco Bug Toolkit:http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl
    >
    > To verify if your IOS image has been modified from the original:
    >
    > "To verify that a Cisco IOS software image was not corrupted while it
    > was transfered to the router, copy the image from where it is stored
    > on your router to a Unix server. Also copy the same image from CCO
    > (Cisco.com) to the same Unix server. (The name may need to be modified
    > if you try to save the IOS image in the same directory as the image
    > that you copied from the router.) Now run a Unix diff command on the
    > two Cisco IOS software images. If there is no difference then the IOS
    > image stored on the router has not been corrupted. "
    >
    > Source:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/configfun/command/reference/...

    There is also the verify command
    router#verify c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin
    Embedded Hash MD5 : AFD19A940E6F92872A1C45D0C5610A10
    Computed Hash MD5 : AFD19A940E6F92872A1C45D0C5610A10
    CCO Hash MD5 : D0D2633542CE736895EAD821219F2E2A

    The CCO hash is published on www.cisco.com in the
    software download section.

    There is an md5 utility in linux and there are some on the
    internet for windows. e.g www.fourmilab.ch

    For a proper bug scrub you need to consider the features
    that you plan to use. However, for use as a basic router
    the chances of there being any issues with 12.4.10 mainline
    are quite small. I would put a beer on it anyway.

    bod43, May 13, 2009