Advice on choosing digicam...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ian Riches, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Ian Riches

    Ian Riches Guest

    My wife is getting increasingly frustrated at the waste of throwing
    away a large percentage of the shots she takes on her 35mm point-and-
    shoot, and thus wants "to go digital".

    Her priorities are:

    1) Low cost
    2) Speedy start-up and low shutter lag
    3) Image quality sufficient for decent 6x4-ish size prints
    4) Optical zoom of roughly 35-135mm equivalent

    She is supremely uninterested in numerous buttons, controls, manual
    overrides, movie capability etc.

    Given 3), even a 2MP camera would suffice if it had a decent lens.
    Any recommendations for cheap cameras with decent response times?
    I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.

    Thanks!

    Ian
    --
    Ian Riches
    Bedford, UK

    Ian Riches, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Ian Riches

    Jeff Guest

    Take a look at www.dpreview.com. A camera that advertises 3X optical zoom
    is similar to the 35-135mm range. Low shutter lag is not a feature you are
    going to find given your requirements. The best you can do with these point
    and shoot cameras is to hold down the shutter button halfway to get
    everything set. Then if your subject moves, simply recompose the picture
    while holding the button down halfway. When ready, they push all of the
    way. This is your best bet for capturing what you are seeing in the
    viewfinder when you press the shutter button all of the way down.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Ian Riches

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    Ian Riches <> wrote:

    > My wife is getting increasingly frustrated at the waste of throwing
    > away a large percentage of the shots she takes on her 35mm point-and-
    > shoot, and thus wants "to go digital".
    >
    > Her priorities are:
    >
    > 1) Low cost
    > 2) Speedy start-up and low shutter lag
    > 3) Image quality sufficient for decent 6x4-ish size prints
    > 4) Optical zoom of roughly 35-135mm equivalent
    >
    > She is supremely uninterested in numerous buttons, controls, manual
    > overrides, movie capability etc.
    >
    > Given 3), even a 2MP camera would suffice if it had a decent lens.
    > Any recommendations for cheap cameras with decent response times?
    > I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.

    I'd add to the wish-list the ability to output the images to TV (video
    out). It can reduce the money wasted on prints considerably.

    DPReview is THE place to go for details and Side-by-Side comparisons.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp

    The A-series Canons are justifiably very popular and combine fully
    automatic point-&-shoot options with preset automatic functions
    (Scenery, Portraits, Moving subjects, Backlit, etc) plus fully manual if
    the need ever arises.

    ------
    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    IRO, Aug 2, 2004
  4. >> My wife is getting increasingly frustrated at the waste of throwing
    >> away a large percentage of the shots she takes on her 35mm point-and-
    >> shoot, and thus wants "to go digital".

    Why would she be any better with digital?
    Just the lower cost of throwing away the duds?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Ian Riches

    Mark B. Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Take a look at www.dpreview.com. A camera that advertises 3X optical zoom
    > is similar to the 35-135mm range.

    Since 35-135 is nearly 4x, I'm curious how it's similar to 3x ;-)

    Mark

    Mark B., Aug 3, 2004
  6. Ian Riches

    Jeff Guest

    You are absolutely correct that it is closer to 4x. My point was that for
    the cost requirement set forth, 3x may be the best they can get.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 3, 2004