Advice on "Call Forward" versus 2 calls...

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by wflanagan5@comcast.net, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I am working with a
    firm that has a "call forwarding" service that they want to start. The
    service application is written on top of VoIP and SIP. What they would
    like to do is register a number of DIDs that they will provide to their
    subscribers. When the DID is called, they will forward the call to the
    user's "real" phone number based on a number of factors, time of day,
    etc.

    The issue that I'm running into is this. In VoIP, this looks like 2
    calls to the service providers that we're talking with. They want to
    charge us for the DIDs, the inbound call, and the outbound call. I
    know in SS7/ISUP you could do a call forward, and this would remain 1
    call--not 2 calls.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to get around this?
    Paying 2 call charges plus the DID for ALL CALLS is going to kill the
    business model.

    Thanks,

    William

    , Feb 25, 2005

  2. RC Guest

    You can look around for a provider that will let you forward the call on a
    PRI. The ones I've done were all forwarding to other lines that were part of
    the same plan (like centrex but without the centrex name). Otherwise you're
    SOL. What you're doing, or trying to do, is an old idea. It works for the
    providers or the CLECs who have special deals with the providers, it doesn't
    work on the smaller scale. As you are finding out.

    RC, Mar 1, 2005