Advice on buying an "Upgrade Box"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
    powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
    installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
    partition. I already have the operating system software.

    I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of $600.
    No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
    writer.

    However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
    dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.

    I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who are
    into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
    (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.

    I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so that
    I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I have
    ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing computer).

    I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Feb 8, 2007

  2. John S

    Allistar Guest

    John S wrote:

    > For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
    > powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
    > installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
    > partition. I already have the operating system software.
    >
    > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    > motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    > 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
    > $600. No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard
    > and DVD writer.
    >
    > However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
    > dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
    >
    > I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
    > are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    > reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
    > (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
    >
    > I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
    > that I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I
    > have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing
    > computer).
    >
    > I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    I've never had issues with Ascent (www.ascent.co.nz). (Purchased an upgrade
    from them just last week).

    Also oem computers "www.oemcomputers.co.nz" do upgrade kits (I bought one
    about 6 years ago from them).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Feb 8, 2007

  3. John S

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    John S wrote:

    > For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
    > powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
    > installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
    > partition. I already have the operating system software.
    >
    > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    > motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    > 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
    > $600. No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard
    > and DVD writer.
    >
    > However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
    > dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
    >
    > I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
    > are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    > reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
    > (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
    >
    > I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
    > that I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I
    > have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing
    > computer).
    >
    > I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on them
    that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.

    I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the hassle
    that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.

    My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong with
    Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
    choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

    Mackin

    Mackin_NZ, Feb 8, 2007
  4. John S

    Shane Guest

    Mackin_NZ wrote:

    > John S wrote:
    >
    >> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my
    >> computer powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade
    >> box and installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a
    >> separate
    >> partition. I already have the operating system software.
    >>
    >> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    >> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    >> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
    >> $600. No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard
    >> and DVD writer.
    >>
    >> However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
    >> dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
    >>
    >> I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
    >> are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    >> reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
    >> (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
    >>
    >> I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
    >> that I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I
    >> have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing
    >> computer).
    >>
    >> I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> John S

    > Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on them
    > that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.
    >
    > I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
    > hassle
    > that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.
    >
    > My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong with
    > Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
    > choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.
    >
    > Mackin

    Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another option
    would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
    (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they arrive,
    which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)
    Shane, Feb 8, 2007
  5. John S

    staticdoping Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > Mackin_NZ wrote:
    >
    > > John S wrote:
    > >
    > >> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my
    > >> computer powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an

    upgrade
    > >> box and installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a
    > >> separate
    > >> partition. I already have the operating system software.
    > >>
    > >> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    > >> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a

    Seagate
    > >> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
    > >> $600. No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard
    > >> and DVD writer.
    > >>
    > >> However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
    > >> dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
    > >>
    > >> I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
    > >> are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    > >> reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise

    > >> (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
    > >>
    > >> I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
    > >> that I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I
    > >> have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing
    > >> computer).
    > >>
    > >> I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> John S

    > > Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on

    them
    > > that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.
    > >
    > > I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
    > > hassle
    > > that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.
    > >
    > > My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong

    with
    > > Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
    > > choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.
    > >
    > > Mackin
    > >

    > Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another option
    > would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
    > (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they arrive,
    > which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

    Yeah I know what you mean but how many people damage the parts in the
    process of putting them together, the majority I would say and that includes
    many of the computer shops who put them together themselves, unfortunately
    this type of damage normally does not show till much later and is impossible
    to trace back and prove the cause, there are so many cowboys out there who
    have no background info in electronics and therefore through there complete
    ignorance reduce the lifetime of computer components and cause somebody else
    major headaches, of course arrogance normally goes with ignorance and so
    they would swear that they are experts.
    staticdoping, Feb 8, 2007
  6. John S

    PeeCee Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    > For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
    > powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
    > installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
    > partition. I already have the operating system software.
    >
    > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    > motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    > 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
    > $600.
    > No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
    > writer.
    >
    > However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
    > dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
    >
    > I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
    > are
    > into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    > reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
    > (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
    >
    > I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
    > that
    > I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I have
    > ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing computer).
    >
    > I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    John

    I've no opinion who you should buy from, but may I suggest you revisit your
    spec's with a view to getting better bang for your $

    I would recommend either an Athlon or Pentium CPU Celeron / Semprons are the
    'cut down' versions of their respective parents, performance is the
    compromise.
    512 MB is adequate, but I guess that can be added to later.
    80GB drives are now below mainstream and strongly suggest going up to 160 as
    the cost per GB is quite low.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 9, 2007
  7. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Mackin_NZ wrote:
    >
    > > John S wrote:
    > >
    > > > For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my
    > > > computer powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an
    > > > upgrade box and installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu
    > > > linux on a separate
    > > > partition. I already have the operating system software.
    > > >
    > > > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic
    > > > Intel motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G
    > > > with a Seagate 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for
    > > > something in excess of $600. No software included apart from that
    > > > bundled with the motherboard and DVD writer.
    > > >
    > > > However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I
    > > > have been dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
    > > >
    > > > I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ
    > > > suppliers who are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who
    > > > are competitive and reasonable helpful to people like myself who
    > > > don't have the expertise to (for example) evaluate one
    > > > motherboard against another.
    > > >
    > > > I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to
    > > > linux, so that I can explore using an alternative operating
    > > > system (at present I have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate
    > > > partition on my existing computer).
    > > >
    > > > I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    > > >

    > > Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker
    > > on them that forbids you opening the case without voiding the
    > > warranty.
    > >
    > > I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
    > > hassle
    > > that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a
    > > bit.
    > >
    > > My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go
    > > wrong with Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the
    > > machine of your choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

    > Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another
    > option would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
    > (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they
    > arrive, which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

    What on Earth makes you think the OP seems to know wthe exact parts he
    wants? He specifically states: "people like myself who don't have the
    expertise to (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another." To me
    that suggests entirely the opposite. Suggesting he builds his own PC is a
    bit wide of the mark don't you think?

    FWIW I second the suggestion to look at Ascent's upgrade boxes or use their
    "PC Builder" to build the box. Some people don't like them but I've had no
    trouble with QMB (http://www.qmb.co.nz/c.aspx) and they're quite
    competitive.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2007
  8. John S

    Shane Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Mackin_NZ wrote:

    >> > Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker
    >> > on them that forbids you opening the case without voiding the
    >> > warranty.
    >> >
    >> > I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
    >> > hassle
    >> > that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a
    >> > bit.
    >> >
    >> > My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go
    >> > wrong with Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the
    >> > machine of your choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

    >> Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another
    >> option would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
    >> (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they
    >> arrive, which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

    > What on Earth makes you think the OP seems to know wthe exact parts he
    > wants? He specifically states: "people like myself who don't have the
    > expertise to (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another." To
    > me that suggests entirely the opposite. Suggesting he builds his own PC is
    > a bit wide of the mark don't you think?

    This seems fairly specific to me,

    I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer

    I built my first PC (which is still running 3.5 years later sans the PSU
    which died 4 weeks ago)
    It wasnt hard.
    Shane, Feb 9, 2007
  9. Mackin_NZ wrote:
    > Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on them
    > that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.
    > I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the hassle
    > that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.

    I'm not familiar with the upgrade boxes, or the pre-assembled package
    deals they offer, but in 12 years of dealing with them, I've never had
    any such labels placed on systems we've purchased from them.

    There *might* have been a sticker on the box I got for my neighbour
    about a year ago, although I may be getting it confused with an Acer I
    upgraded for someone else. Other than an HP box, the closest I have ever
    seen from any PC assembler is a sticker saying the warranty would be
    voided if damaged by someone who was unqualified to be doing work on the
    system.

    > My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong with
    > Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
    > choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

    Ascent is good, although their prices are usually not quite as good as
    PB Tech. We use them when PB Tech does not have items in stock.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Feb 9, 2007
  10. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Shane wrote:

    > > > Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another
    > > > option would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
    > > > (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they
    > > > arrive, which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

    > > What on Earth makes you think the OP seems to know wthe exact parts
    > > he wants? He specifically states: "people like myself who don't
    > > have the expertise to (for example) evaluate one motherboard
    > > against another." To me that suggests entirely the opposite.
    > > Suggesting he builds his own PC is a bit wide of the mark don't you
    > > think?

    > This seems fairly specific to me,
    >
    > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    > motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a
    > Seagate 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer

    LOL!! That's specific because he read it off a website as an example of the
    range he's looking for.

    Comprehension 101.

    > I built my first PC (which is still running 3.5 years later sans the
    > PSU which died 4 weeks ago)
    > It wasnt hard.

    Mate, I've been building PCs for years too, I have 7 with CPUs over 1GHz in
    this room with me, all self built, all running fine. (Not all running right
    now but all connected to power and network, ready to go at the push of a
    button). Brain surgery it ain't.

    However, some people just don't take to building their own. I know some very
    capable folks who just aren't interested in opening up their PC or upgrading
    their own graphics card, even fitting a DVD burner. Strange but true. They'd
    rather ask me what I think is best value, ask me for the best price for said
    item, give me the money and a box of beer and gas money to get it and fit
    it.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2007
  11. John S

    Shane Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> > What on Earth makes you think the OP seems to know wthe exact parts
    >> > he wants? He specifically states: "people like myself who don't
    >> > have the expertise to (for example) evaluate one motherboard
    >> > against another." To me that suggests entirely the opposite.
    >> > Suggesting he builds his own PC is a bit wide of the mark don't you
    >> > think?

    >> This seems fairly specific to me,
    >>
    >> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    >> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a
    >> Seagate 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer

    > LOL!! That's specific because he read it off a website as an example of
    > the range he's looking for.

    Its all I had to go on when I started
    (And all that he needs)
    Shane, Feb 9, 2007
  12. John S

    noddy Guest

    On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:02:52 +1300, John S <>
    wrote:

    >For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
    >powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
    >installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
    >partition. I already have the operating system software.
    >
    >I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    >motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    >80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of $600.
    >No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
    >writer.
    >
    >However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
    >dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
    >
    >I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who are
    >into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    >reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
    >(for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
    >
    >I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so that
    >I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I have
    >ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing computer).
    >
    >I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >John S

    Check out TasTech Computers - www.tastech.co.nz - in Chch.
    The guy has been supplying me at good prices for the past 8 years or
    so. What he lacks in salesmanship he makes up for in reliability and
    honesty. A phone chat to him will soon show you whether or not he
    meets your requirements re helpfulness.

    noddy, Feb 9, 2007
  13. John S

    Enkidu Guest

    John S wrote:
    > For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
    > powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
    > installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
    > partition. I already have the operating system software.
    >
    > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    > motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    > 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of $600.
    > No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
    > writer.

    80GB? Can you still buy them?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Feb 9, 2007
  14. John S

    Rob Guest

    "noddy" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:02:52 +1300, John S <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
    >>powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
    >>installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
    >>partition. I already have the operating system software.
    >>
    >>I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    >>motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    >>80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
    >>$600.
    >>No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
    >>writer.
    >>
    >>However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
    >>dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
    >>
    >>I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
    >>are
    >>into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    >>reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
    >>(for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
    >>
    >>I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
    >>that
    >>I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I have
    >>ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing computer).
    >>
    >>I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>John S

    > Check out TasTech Computers - www.tastech.co.nz - in Chch.
    > The guy has been supplying me at good prices for the past 8 years or
    > so. What he lacks in salesmanship he makes up for in reliability and
    > honesty. A phone chat to him will soon show you whether or not he
    > meets your requirements re helpfulness.

    Of course you can, you can still get 40GB ones too. I have heard that the
    smaller drives can be more reliable too.
    Rob, Feb 9, 2007
  15. John S

    John S Guest

    On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:02:52 +1300, John S wrote:

    > I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who are
    > into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
    > reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
    > (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.

    Just following up my own post to say thanks for the suggestions offered.

    Already I've got four different suppliers to check out, and I hadn't
    thought of searching out the components separately on PriceSpy and doing an
    assembly job.

    Will quietly go off and do some homework.

    Thanks to all.

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Feb 9, 2007
  16. John S

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > Mackin_NZ wrote:
    >> Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on them
    >> that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.
    >> I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
    >> hassle
    >> that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.

    > I'm not familiar with the upgrade boxes, or the pre-assembled package
    > deals they offer, but in 12 years of dealing with them, I've never had
    > any such labels placed on systems we've purchased from them.
    >
    > There *might* have been a sticker on the box I got for my neighbour
    > about a year ago, although I may be getting it confused with an Acer I
    > upgraded for someone else. Other than an HP box, the closest I have ever
    > seen from any PC assembler is a sticker saying the warranty would be
    > voided if damaged by someone who was unqualified to be doing work on the
    > system.
    >
    >> My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong with
    >> Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
    >> choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

    > Ascent is good, although their prices are usually not quite as good as
    > PB Tech. We use them when PB Tech does not have items in stock.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    About a month ago I visited their Penrose store and bought an "Upgrade Box"
    which they handed me already packaged up. When I got home and opened it
    there was the offending sticker on the case. I promptly returned it for a
    refund.

    I think these stickers prohibiting you from opening the box are a fairly new
    thing.

    Mackin.

    Mackin_NZ, Feb 9, 2007
  17. John S

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-09, Mackin_NZ <> wrote:
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >
    > I think these stickers prohibiting you from opening the box are a fairly new
    > thing.

    they were invented shortly after gum arabic was discovered, before that wax
    seals were used :)

    I've seen them (or the remains) on pcs manufactured in the 80s.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Feb 10, 2007
  18. John S

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-09, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > John S wrote:
    >> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
    >> powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
    >> installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
    >> partition. I already have the operating system software.
    >>
    >> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
    >> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
    >> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of $600.
    >> No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
    >> writer.
    >>

    > 80GB? Can you still buy them?

    In 2.5" yes, a bit harder to find in 3.5".

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Feb 10, 2007
  19. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    jasen wrote:
    > On 2007-02-09, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > > John S wrote:
    > > > For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my
    > > > computer powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an
    > > > upgrade box and installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu
    > > > linux on a separate partition. I already have the operating
    > > > system software.
    > > >
    > > > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic
    > > > Intel motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G
    > > > with a Seagate 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for
    > > > something in excess of $600. No software included apart from that
    > > > bundled with the motherboard and DVD writer.
    > > >

    > > 80GB? Can you still buy them?

    > In 2.5" yes, a bit harder to find in 3.5".

    'Ware the wrap:

    http://www.eoneonline.co.nz/shop/CO...rracuda ATA100 7200rpm IDE HDD 2MB cache.html

    http://www.eoneonline.co.nz/shop/CO...GB SATA 3GBs 7200.9 Barracuda STAT2 HDD.html

    http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/productdetail.asp?product_id=42

    http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/productdetail.asp?product_id=49

    http://www.qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?c=Hardware&s=HDD&ss=80GB HDD

    That last URL list no less than 7 different 80GB HDDs for sale. All URLs
    from the first three sites I visited. I don't see the point in going through
    anymore of my bookmarked hardware suppliers.

    Seems that they're not that hard to find at all. Quite the contrary.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2007