advice needed

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paul Henry, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. Paul Henry

    Paul Henry Guest

    Hi guys

    I am sure this has been asked before so if im asking something that gets
    asked every 5 mins then my apologies

    I am looking for a recomendation for a pcmcia wifi card and a wireless DSL
    modem / router with a hub built in so I can transfere files print share
    stuff like that.

    I have been trying to find stuff on the net but alot of it goes well over my
    head.

    My other area I need advice on is some way to sync a laptop and a base unit

    I use the laptop at work as I dont want the expense of another pc in the
    garage and the laptop works well enough just plug in a usb mouse and
    keyboard and printer in a hub and a monitor and away I go.

    What I would like is when I get home it updates the information on the
    laptop to match that of the base unit for eg to update the contacts book and
    calander in outlook.

    I would also like it to search through a folder and swap the latest files
    onto each pc so say I produce an invoice on the laptop at the garage when I
    get home I can turn it on and it copies that invoice onto the base unit, and
    say I change a website page on the laptop it then sees that the laptop file
    is newer so copies it over to the base station.

    the idea behind this is so that I can work on eaither pc and have the latest
    info to hand, and I am planning on backing up the files on the base every
    sat night onto cd so I have a hard backup

    Sorry if none of that makes sens :) I would really appreciate some help
    here as it really is beyond me if someone can put it into simple terms im
    sure I can handle it im just not sure were to start looking at doing
    something like this even if its possible.

    All the best
    Paul

    Paul Henry, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Hi
    paul Henry

    i was using win xp pro home but when i uploaded sp2 on my laplop, it become
    disabled to excess infrared . i m using aspire 1365lci acer laptop . please
    help me out. more over it is also not shown on device manager. as per my
    knowledge there is via make device .

    Regards

    vijay singh rathore

    =?Utf-8?B?dmlqYXlzaW5naGFydGhvcmU=?=, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Paul Henry

    Paul Henry Guest

    "vijaysingharthore" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Hi
    > paul Henry
    >

    > i was using win xp pro home but when i uploaded sp2 on my laplop, it

    become
    > disabled to excess infrared . i m using aspire 1365lci acer laptop .

    please
    > help me out. more over it is also not shown on device manager. as per my
    > knowledge there is via make device .
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > vijay singh rathore

    Sorry to hear you have a problem im sorry I wouldnt know were to begin with
    that

    Sorry

    Paul

    Paul Henry, Aug 28, 2005
  4. Paul Henry

    Clark Guest

    SP2 doesn't normally disable devices, but if it shows disabled in device
    manager, you probably need to reinstall the drivers.

    You might also check Device Manager in safe mode to see if the device shows
    up there. If you see it in safe mode, but not normal mode, you should
    remove it in Safe Mode and try again.

    Clark

    Clark, Aug 28, 2005