    even flames ;)

    thanks,
    mike.

    mike, Aug 6, 2005

  2. mike

    mike Guest

    thanks for the good advice

    mike, Aug 7, 2005

  3. mike

    Tmack Guest

    I've thought about starting my own PC repair business for a long time
    then finally decided the home PC was going to be obsolete within the
    next 5-7 yrs.

    Manufactures are moving towards an all-in-one entertainment unit that
    will replace the PC in the home. It'll have PC, Internet, Gaming,
    Stereo, TV, etc... Everything will be packaged in a single unit.

    I think unless you have the resources to learn how to repair those
    types of devices, your business may be doomed as consumers move away
    from the traditional PC.

    Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade but you asked for feedback.

    Tmack, Aug 10, 2005
  4. On 10 Aug 2005 12:19:35 -0700, "Tmack" <>
    wrote:

    >I've thought about starting my own PC repair business for a long time
    >then finally decided the home PC was going to be obsolete within the
    >next 5-7 yrs.
    >
    >Manufactures are moving towards an all-in-one entertainment unit that
    >will replace the PC in the home. It'll have PC, Internet, Gaming,
    >Stereo, TV, etc... Everything will be packaged in a single unit.
    >
    >I think unless you have the resources to learn how to repair those
    >types of devices, your business may be doomed as consumers move away
    >from the traditional PC.
    >
    >Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade but you asked for feedback.

    What does this have to do with the CompTIA A+ certification? :p

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 10, 2005
  5. mike

    Jamco Guest

    I would not think even consider doing business with you. Simply because
    your website looks like it was made by a 12 year old.

    My biggest advice would be to get a better website, and get it registered on
    a .ca or .com website, not on your personal webspace.
    Check out the competition for ideas.
    You need to add more pages, such as
    About us, Services/products, Price guide, contact us, free computer advice,
    etc....
    And perhaps instead of ever page in english and french, just make a welcome
    page that asks you to choose english or french, then redirects you to the
    approperiate site.

    Good luck.

    Jamco, Aug 10, 2005
  6. mike

    Tmack Guest

    You're right.

    Tmack, Aug 10, 2005
  7. mike

    mike Guest

    thanks...

    on one hand i agree & i have begun to work on a more professional-looking
    web site...but i don't know if i'll use it... i prefer to look like an
    uncomplicated, honest, one-man, local operation which i am

    mike, Aug 11, 2005
  8. mike

    mike Guest

    thanks again... funny, it seems i am now getting more calls due to the
    flyers i sent out 2 months ago than i did soon after sending... i am toying
    with a more professional-looking website, but don't know if i want to look
    like all the local shops... the book you suggested will arrive this week
    along with the accompanying handbook

    thanks again,
    mike.

    mike, Aug 11, 2005
  9. mike

    mike Guest

    thanks.. personally i believe the PC may be around a bit longer

    mike, Aug 11, 2005
  10. mike

    Guest

    Jamco wrote:
    > I would not think even consider doing business with you. Simply because
    > your website looks like it was made by a 12 year old.
    >
    > My biggest advice would be to get a better website, and get it registered on
    > a .ca or .com website, not on your personal webspace.
    > Check out the competition for ideas.
    > You need to add more pages, such as
    > About us, Services/products, Price guide, contact us, free computer advice,
    > etc....
    > And perhaps instead of ever page in english and french, just make a welcome
    > page that asks you to choose english or french, then redirects you to the
    > approperiate site.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > "mike" <> wrote in message
    > > been lurking here a couple years...
    > >
    > > i'm 50 & trying to start pc help/repair business...
    > > Montréal area, Quebec, Canada...
    > >
    > > have paid to distribute small flyer to about 13,000 homes in well-to-do
    > > area in a weekly bag of adverts that most do go thru...
    > > less than 10 calls...
    > > ad looked a lot like website:
    > >
    > > http://www3.sympatico.ca/mikoel/
    > >
    > > any advice is appreciated...
    > > even flames ;)
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > mike.

    You know you have a poor pist way about yourself.This person ask for
    advice not to be criticize.

    , Aug 11, 2005
  11. mike

    mike Guest

    hey, not a problem ;)

    mike, Aug 11, 2005
  12. mike

    Jamco Guest

    thats fine, if thats the look you want, but me as a potential customer will
    look at your site, and think, wow he can't even make a decent webpage, do I
    really want some amature messing around with my computer?
    Nope, I'll go for someone else who has a more professional look

    Jamco, Aug 11, 2005
  13. mike

    Jamco Guest

    if you look closely at my post you will not I offered advice. Sometimes you
    have to be somewhat critical when giving advice.

    Jamco, Aug 11, 2005
  14. mike

    Pat Guest

    mike wrote:
    > thanks.. personally i believe the PC may be around a bit longer

    If anything, PC's are *becoming* the all-in-one entertainment unit that
    he speaks of.

    Pat, Aug 11, 2005
  15. On 10 Aug 2005 13:43:43 -0700, "Tmack" <>
    wrote:

    >You're right.

    On the other hand, I worked in electronics repair until mid-2002, and
    one of our warranties was Sony, and they were moving towards this
    whole-house scheme of things. They were also moving towards requiring
    at least one A+ certified technician in each warranty shop they had.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 11, 2005
  16. mike

    mike Guest

    hey, guy,

    thanks,

    although i cannot do what much of the book says, i can do plenty of what it
    does say...
    and that goes along with what you had said...

    i have now been working on a web site that says what i mean without looking
    like a 12-year-old..

    i really do this for fun...
    have been for about 10 years with friends, family, co-workers...

    but i would like to do this for a living...
    but each & every time i want to help & be a hero...

    you may have helped, big time
    thanks,

    mike.

    PS i dunno how to convey my thanks to all the other who have responded...
    help ???

    don't kid yourself... i been on the net since no graphics...
    just not used to this, now

    thanks,
    mike.

    mike, Aug 12, 2005
  17. mike

    mike Guest

    all is welcome, man

    mike, Aug 13, 2005
  18. mike

    mike Guest

    me thanks you all for very good advise & very good flames...
    i do appreciate it, as i have only been lurking...
    anybody needs help...
    i'm an A+
    soon network+
    never worked in the field...
    been doing friends, family, co-workers...
    now doing a few customers..

    there's no such thing as a computer pro..
    too vast an area...

    i'm here

    mike.

    mike, Aug 13, 2005
  19. "mike" <> wrote in message
    > thanks.. personally i believe the PC may be around a bit longer

    To quote Homer Simpson: "The Internet, eh? Is that thing still around?"

    PC's will be around for a while yet. It doesn't matter what replaces it,
    people will still need help using it.

    > "Tmack" <> wrote in message
    > > I've thought about starting my own PC repair business for a long time
    > > then finally decided the home PC was going to be obsolete within the
    > > next 5-7 yrs.

    I used to think that 7-9 years ago.

    Paul in Australia, Aug 13, 2005
  20. On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:15:36 -0400, "mike" <>
    wrote:

    >me thanks you all for very good advise & very good flames...

    Flames? Us? :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 16, 2005