Advice needed please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I purchased an expensive portable mp3 player last year, and had to
    send it back to the shop , due to a number of problems that it
    developed, including freezing up on me. It was returned to me a month
    later with the problems unfixed, and with no information of what they
    even did to it!. I sent it back again, and eventually they diagnosed
    the problem (after I had to explain it to the manufacturer in depth on
    the phone). This meant I had been without it for about 6 weeks. I
    asked them that I would like it switched for a new one, as I didn't
    want to mucked around any more, and the time that it had taken them
    was unreasonable, and it would have taken them at least o=another week
    or two to repair it (if they could repair it). They eventually did
    agree to send me a new one, but actually they told me that they would
    have preferred to have just switched over the internal parts, so that
    they wouldn't have to modify the serial numbers in their system. When
    I picked it up from the retailer, the brand new mp3 player had two new
    different problems, including being scratched on the casing. I asked
    if it could be switched with another new one, but they declined saying
    that it would have to be sent back to be fixed, and have the casing
    replaced.

    At this stage, I said that I would like a full refund, as it would
    take another week or so before I would get it back . Eventually after
    getting onto the manager, they agreed to give me a 'store credit',
    which they said they would be handled the same way as gift vouchers,
    so I could choose another model or brand, however exactly what a store
    credit was, was never explained to me, and I had no idea that it would
    be handled differently to cash purchase.
    After a bit of research, I did choose another model (a model up from
    my original) through the same retailer, but I also found that the same
    model of mp3 player was been sold for $100 less at another shop just
    down the road. I asked the retailer to match the price, which would
    have made it about the same price as my original mp3 player, but they
    said they wouldn't, and said that they would charge me the full RRP,
    less the credit I already had. They said that if I was paying in cash
    that they would have certainly matched it, but in my case they
    wouldn't, as they have a policy where they don't give discounts for
    people with store credit. They also said I was getting a far better
    mp3 player, and the prices had come down since I had first purchased
    my original player.They also questioned why I was asking them to match
    the price, and in fact were slightly insulting asking what was I
    complaining about, as I have got a far better player out of it?

    Does this sound right? Every other shop I had seen it being sold at,
    was at least $100 less than what this retailer charged me, which the
    retailer said was the RRP.

    Another thing is, I actually also purchased a case separately for the
    old mp3 player, but the new mp3 player I have chosen is too big for
    the case, so the case I have is useless, should they switch over the
    case, or refund me the money on the case too? I currently don't have a
    case for this new player.

    Under the CGA, I believed that if a product was unable to be repaired
    within a reasonable period of time (in my case it was a total of about
    2 months), that the consumer was entitled to a full refund plus any
    consequential losses(eg the case I purchased) I did ask them for this
    and they gave me the store credit, which I assumed could be used in
    the same way.
    Should I have expected a full refund from this retailer?

    I would appreciate any advice over this as I will be getting back to
    them tomorrow, as I do feel a little ripped off by them.. I have
    specifically not included details of brand, or the retailer.
    Rob, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Thanks, I will be getting onto it tommorrow, and may get in contact
    with the CAB about it.

    Rob, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:43:22 +1200, Master Tech ©
    <> wrote:

> [...]
    >>case, or refund me the money on the case too? I currently don't have a
    >>case for this new player.
    >>
    >>Under the CGA, I believed that if a product was unable to be repaired
    >>within a reasonable period of time (in my case it was a total of about
    >>2 months), that the consumer was entitled to a full refund plus any
    >>consequential losses(eg the case I purchased) I did ask them for this
    >>and they gave me the store credit, which I assumed could be used in
    >>the same way.
    >>Should I have expected a full refund from this retailer?
    >>
    >>I would appreciate any advice over this as I will be getting back to
    >>them tomorrow, as I do feel a little ripped off by them.. I have
    >>specifically not included details of brand, or the retailer.
    >>

    >Its all your fault as you let them piss you around, Take them to court the

    I can see where you're coming from, but I had to get them the
    opportunity. If I didn't, they would say at the disputes tribunal,
    that I had been unreasonable, and would throw the case out.
    Rob, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:39:39 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
    < (remove eye)> wrote:

> [...]

    >If the problems happened straight away, proper store would've replaced it.
    >If that was stuffed, you would've been better to get the deal canceled
    >instead of being buggered around. Pissing around with another product over
    >your original hire purchase (by the sounds of it) is your fault, and to
    >expect it to be cheaper is a joke.
    >Getting completely out of the deal would've been the best option. What if
    >the shoe had been on the other foot, meaning that you couldn't make the
    >payments, do you think you could piss round with the conditions of the sale
    >like the retailer has done. You expected the new product to work as it
    >should've, nothing short of that would do.
    >Simply tell them that you're not paying for faulty goods along with the poor
    >service of those goods.
    >Sounds like a Mickey Mouse outfit, not a proper retail store.

    Sorry, I should have explained that it was purchased outright with
    cash, and not on hire purchase. I never purchase anything on hire
    purchase.

    Actually they are a very well known store, and have stores nationwide,
    and have big ads in the newspaper, and are also sometimes on TV. I do
    know however that there has been some controversy in the past with
    this store, and their procedures of handling defective people in my
    situation.
    Rob, Jul 13, 2003
  5. Rob

    Steve Guest

    Rob allegedly said:

    > I would appreciate any advice over this as I will be getting back to
    > them tomorrow, as I do feel a little ripped off by them.. I have
    > specifically not included details of brand, or the retailer.

    Do you want a fight with this retailer or do you want an MP3 player that
    does what you want and sounds good?

    Stay focused on what you REALLY want...and the shortest, most cost-effective
    way to get there.

    Maybe you should have bought a better model in the first place and spared
    yourself all this hassle and disappointment.

    --
    Steve
    Steve, Jul 13, 2003
  6. Rob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:39:39 +1200, "E. Scrooge"
    > < (remove eye)> wrote:
    > >
    > >You expect them to supply a new product in good working order - it

    wasn't.
    > >If the problems happened straight away, proper store would've replaced

    it.
    > >If that was stuffed, you would've been better to get the deal canceled
    > >instead of being buggered around. Pissing around with another product

    over
    > >your original hire purchase (by the sounds of it) is your fault, and to
    > >expect it to be cheaper is a joke.
    > >Getting completely out of the deal would've been the best option. What

    if
    > >the shoe had been on the other foot, meaning that you couldn't make the
    > >payments, do you think you could piss round with the conditions of the

    sale
    > >like the retailer has done. You expected the new product to work as it
    > >should've, nothing short of that would do.
    > >Simply tell them that you're not paying for faulty goods along with the

    poor
    > >service of those goods.
    > >Sounds like a Mickey Mouse outfit, not a proper retail store.
    > >
    > >E. Scrooge
    > >

    > Sorry, I should have explained that it was purchased outright with
    > cash, and not on hire purchase. I never purchase anything on hire
    > purchase.
    >
    > Actually they are a very well known store, and have stores nationwide,
    > and have big ads in the newspaper, and are also sometimes on TV. I do
    > know however that there has been some controversy in the past with
    > this store, and their procedures of handling defective people in my
    > situation.

    That sorts that out then. Paying for the thing outright should give you
    more leverage. You shouldn't have to put up with goods that don't work.
    Swapping over the guts of it just to save from altering the paper work of
    serial numbers doesn't make sense. Giving you another one while they send
    the buggered one back to the manufacturer would be the better solution.
    You either better to get what you paid for or money back.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jul 13, 2003
  7. Rob

    Rob King Guest

    > You expect them to supply a new product in good working order - it wasn't.
    > If the problems happened straight away, proper store would've replaced it.
    > If that was stuffed, you would've been better to get the deal canceled
    > instead of being buggered around. Pissing around with another product

    over
    > your original hire purchase (by the sounds of it) is your fault, and to
    > expect it to be cheaper is a joke.
    > Getting completely out of the deal would've been the best option. What if
    > the shoe had been on the other foot, meaning that you couldn't make the
    > payments, do you think you could piss round with the conditions of the

    sale
    > like the retailer has done. You expected the new product to work as it
    > should've, nothing short of that would do.
    > Simply tell them that you're not paying for faulty goods along with the

    poor
    > service of those goods.
    > Sounds like a Mickey Mouse outfit, not a proper retail store.

    Sounds EXACTLY like a retail store.
    Rob King, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:41:30 +1200, "Rob King" <>
    wrote:

    >> You expect them to supply a new product in good working order - it wasn't.
    >> If the problems happened straight away, proper store would've replaced it.
    >> If that was stuffed, you would've been better to get the deal canceled
    >> instead of being buggered around. Pissing around with another product

    >over
    >> your original hire purchase (by the sounds of it) is your fault, and to
    >> expect it to be cheaper is a joke.
    >> Getting completely out of the deal would've been the best option. What if
    >> the shoe had been on the other foot, meaning that you couldn't make the
    >> payments, do you think you could piss round with the conditions of the

    >sale
    >> like the retailer has done. You expected the new product to work as it
    >> should've, nothing short of that would do.
    >> Simply tell them that you're not paying for faulty goods along with the

    >poor
    >> service of those goods.
    >> Sounds like a Mickey Mouse outfit, not a proper retail store.

    >Sounds EXACTLY like a retail store.

    Thanks everyone for your advice. The store has decided to refund the
    difference and provide me with a case that fits, which is really what
    they should have done in the first place. Email is quite a powerful
    tool when dealing with these companies.
    Rob, Jul 16, 2003