    --
    To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.

    , Sep 17, 2004

  2. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:56:34 +1200, <> says...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
    > Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
    > and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
    > then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
    > the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
    > just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.
    >
    > Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
    > pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

    What type of data is the web site displaying?

    If you can capture the data into a database of sorts you can use MySql or
    Postgresql on your web server, updating it via ODBC from a PC. Such a
    solution is probably overkill for the task you have at hand, though.

    Teach them to use MS Word and then use that to save the web page.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Barry Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
    > Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
    > and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
    > then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
    > the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
    > just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.
    >
    > Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
    > pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

    If it is a small amount of data why not just plain text?
    Even Excel understands comma-separated-volumns, or tab delineated columns.

    But why not just edit the page with an html-editor and upload the result?

    Barry, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Bok Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
    > Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
    > and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
    > then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
    > the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
    > just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.
    >
    > Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
    > pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

    You could try something like this:
    http://www.puremis.net/excel/downloads.shtml

    I've not tried it myself so I can't vouch for it.
    Google is your friend :)

    Bok, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:56:34 +1200, kirkzeusNOSPAM wrote:

    > Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
    > pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

    Micro$oft Word?

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 18, 2004
  6. It seems like Sat, 18 Sep 2004 07:56:34 +1200 was when
    said Blah blah blah...

    >Hi all
    >
    >I have a very simple requirement. I want to be able to type into
    >Microsoft Excel some rows of items, such as: description; time; date,
    >and then insert this data into an already formatted html page, and
    >then FTP this page to a web site. The reason for using Excel is that
    >the person who will be maintaining the data only understands Excel and
    >just wants to send and update this data web page to her site.
    >
    >Any suggestions on software that will insert this data into a
    >pre-formatted web page, preferably shareware/freeware?

    I know this sounds back to front, but is it possible to format the
    excel page to look like the pre-formatted web page, if it's a simple
    page? If not, you could always use the <iframe> tag to embed
    (roughly) the excel webpage (File > Save as webpage) into the
    pre-formatted webpage. Those seem like the simplest solutions. Or you
    could export the excel document as a .csv to a file location where say
    php could access it, then format it into a webpage, but that's long
    winded and complex (relatively).
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 18, 2004
  7. AD. Guest

    "Barry" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:

    > If it is a small amount of data why not just plain text?
    > Even Excel understands comma-separated-volumns, or tab delineated columns.
    >
    > But why not just edit the page with an html-editor and upload the result?

    I suppose you could upload a csv file that could then get read (and cached
    preferably) then processed by a php page.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 18, 2004
  8. Kerry Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > "Barry" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:

    >> If it is a small amount of data why not just plain text?
    >> Even Excel understands comma-separated-volumns, or tab delineated
    >> columns.
    >>
    >> But why not just edit the page with an html-editor and upload the result?

    > I suppose you could upload a csv file that could then get read (and cached
    > preferably) then processed by a php page.

    Of course. Conforms to kiss principle.

    Kerry, Sep 19, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    Barry <> wrote:

    >Even Excel understands comma-separated-volumns, or tab delineated columns.

    Well, kind of. Though it insists on recognizing things that look like
    numbers and dates, and losing leading zeroes from them, that kind of
    thing.

    Another format that's relatively easy to generate is SYLK. It lets you
    force Excel to accept the data in the format you specify.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 19, 2004