Advice Needed On Cpu Temp

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Loupole, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Loupole

    Loupole Guest

    I have just built a new machine ??

    I have a P4 3.2ghz its on Abit Max 3 Motherboard

    I have just been looking at the temps latley and I am not happy...Can anyone
    help ???

    Cpu Idle at 39-43 deg
    system temp at Idle its 35 deg
    Motherboard fan at Idle 35dge

    When Using my computer the other day it skyrocketed to a temp I was not
    happy with.....

    Cpu Load at 65-67 deg
    System Load at 45 deq
    Motherboard Load at 50 deg

    Are the above temps in safe limits or should I think about some extra
    cooling ???

    E-mail me at

    Loupole, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Loupole

    T.N.O. Guest

    Loupole wrote:
    > Are the above temps in safe limits or should I think about some extra
    > cooling ???

    Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself? no.

    Check out one of the millions of artiles online about airflow through a
    case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need any more fans
    than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    T.N.O., Jan 4, 2004

  3. Loupole

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:06:45 +1300, "Loupole" <> wrote:

    >I have just built a new machine ??
    >
    >I have a P4 3.2ghz its on Abit Max 3 Motherboard
    >
    >I have just been looking at the temps latley and I am not happy...Can anyone
    >help ???
    >
    >Cpu Idle at 39-43 deg
    >system temp at Idle its 35 deg
    >Motherboard fan at Idle 35dge
    >
    >When Using my computer the other day it skyrocketed to a temp I was not
    >happy with.....
    >
    >Cpu Load at 65-67 deg
    >System Load at 45 deq
    >Motherboard Load at 50 deg
    >
    >Are the above temps in safe limits or should I think about some extra
    >cooling ???
    >
    >E-mail me at

    The Heat Sink Pad on the CPU does take some time to settle down, my New system
    with a P4c 2.4 was around 49, but after a few days dropped to 37..

    Bigger Cases do help a lot with temperature, mine is a Icute (WxDxH)
    200X480X430mm, those dumpy ones are just no good..

    PSU has 2 Fans one Temp controller , front of case has a 120mm and one extra
    80mm one at the back.

    MBM 5 is showing it as 43 now with a RT of 25.6c, but with one side off as I
    was installing my new FX5900XT card the other day.

    The CPU temp depends with what Utile I use, about 3c variation..

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Loupole

    Loupole Guest

    Thanks for your info !!!

    Loupole, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Loupole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Loupole wrote:
    >> Are the above temps in safe limits or should I think about some extra
    >> cooling ???

    > Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself? no.

    Agree on all counts.

    > Check out one of the millions of articles online about airflow through
    > a case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need any more
    > fans than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.

    Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case temp is
    too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep the CPU within
    12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at least* two case fans in
    summer, one blowing out below your PSU and one sucking in at the front. If
    you already have two then check that your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing
    the air-flow through the case.

    Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s advice is
    flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just anecdotal evidence
    concerning a case with a side removed.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Loupole

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:25:51 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:

    >T.N.O. wrote:
    >> Loupole wrote:
    >>> Are the above temps in safe limits or should I think about some extra
    >>> cooling ???

    >> Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself? no.

    >Agree on all counts.
    >
    >> Check out one of the millions of articles online about airflow through
    >> a case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need any more
    >> fans than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    >So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    >
    >Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case temp is
    >too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep the CPU within
    >12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at least* two case fans in
    >summer, one blowing out below your PSU and one sucking in at the front. If
    >you already have two then check that your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing
    >the air-flow through the case.
    >
    >Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s advice is
    >flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just anecdotal evidence
    >concerning a case with a side removed.

    And how in the hell would you know..

    Its you that is the utter cowboy here, with out any formal training..

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Loupole

    harry Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:25:51 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> T.N.O. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself?
    >>> no.

    >> Agree on all counts.
    >>
    >>> Check out one of the millions of articles online about airflow
    >>> through a case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need
    >>> any more fans than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    >> So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    >>
    >> Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case
    >> temp is too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep
    >> the CPU within 12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at
    >> least* two case fans in summer, one blowing out below your PSU and
    >> one sucking in at the front. If you already have two then check that
    >> your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing the air-flow through the
    >> case.
    >>
    >> Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s
    >> advice is flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just
    >> anecdotal evidence concerning a case with a side removed.

    > And how in the hell would you know..
    >
    > Its you that is the utter cowboy here, with out any formal training..

    You have no qualifications in anything to do with personal computers do you
    ?
    Never have, never will.
    Hi Ho silver
    Have you got that ERB appliance servicing ticket yet ?

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Loupole

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:15:37 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    >Dumdedo wrote:
    >> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:25:51 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Agree on all counts.

    >>> So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    >>>
    >>> Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case
    >>> temp is too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep
    >>> the CPU within 12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at
    >>> least* two case fans in summer, one blowing out below your PSU and
    >>> one sucking in at the front. If you already have two then check that
    >>> your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing the air-flow through the
    >>> case.
    >>>
    >>> Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s
    >>> advice is flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just
    >>> anecdotal evidence concerning a case with a side removed.

    >> And how in the hell would you know..
    >>
    >> Its you that is the utter cowboy here, with out any formal training..

    >You have no qualifications in anything to do with personal computers do you
    >?
    >Never have, never will.
    >Hi Ho silver
    >Have you got that ERB appliance servicing ticket yet ?

    Why, ? as I do not service Appliances..?

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Loupole

    harry Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:
    >> Have you got that ERB appliance servicing ticket yet ?

    > Why, ? as I do not service Appliances..?

    You don't know what an appliance is ?

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Loupole

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:51:10 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    >Dumdedo wrote:
    >>> Have you got that ERB appliance servicing ticket yet ?

    >> Why, ? as I do not service Appliances..?

    >You don't know what an appliance is ?

    Yes Hairy, but I do know what a Idiot is..

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  11. Loupole

    harry Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:

    >>> Why, ? as I do not service Appliances..?

    >> You don't know what an appliance is ?
    >>

    > Yes Hairy, but I do know what a Idiot is..

    No doubt it was part of your "formal training".
    :p

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  12. Loupole

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:07:09 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    >Dumdedo wrote:

    >>> You don't know what an appliance is ?
    >>>

    >> Yes Hairy, but I do know what a Idiot is..

    >No doubt it was part of your "formal training".
    >:p

    Yes very true..

    Dumdedo, Jan 5, 2004
  13. In article <UC_Jb.1720$>, ~misfit~@his_desk.com
    says...
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > Loupole wrote:
    > >> Are the above temps in safe limits or should I think about some extra
    > >> cooling ???

    > > Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself? no.

    > Agree on all counts.
    >
    > > Check out one of the millions of articles online about airflow through
    > > a case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need any more
    > > fans than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    > So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    >
    > Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case temp is
    > too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep the CPU within
    > 12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at least* two case fans in
    > summer, one blowing out below your PSU and one sucking in at the front. If
    > you already have two then check that your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing
    > the air-flow through the case.
    >
    > Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s advice is
    > flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just anecdotal evidence
    > concerning a case with a side removed.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Interesting things happen. I recently rebuilt my system with a Gigabyte
    MoBo (7n400 pro2) and had real heat problems. Case temp was around 40-43
    degrees, cpu temp with the standard Athlon 2500xp heatsink around 60
    degrees.

    I swapped the Gigabyte mobo for an Abit one. I turned the case fans off
    (!) and put a bigger heatsink on the CPU. (Thermalright slk900U with a
    92mm fan on it). Suddenly, due to the different layout of the mobo (the
    video card is much more isolated and hence has better airflow around it
    so it doesn't heat the air about the CPU and bridge as much) my case
    temperature has dropped considerably. It's around 29-33 degrees now
    where it was 40+ before, even with an ambient temperature in the high
    20ies. The CPU cooler reduces the temperature differential from 21 to 11
    degrees, so now my cpu is running at less than 40 degrees most of the
    time.

    <smiling> -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jan 5, 2004
  14. Loupole

    jerm Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:00:28 +1300, Dumdedo <> said

    >On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:07:09 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Dumdedo wrote:

    >>> Yes Hairy, but I do know what a Idiot is..

    >>No doubt it was part of your "formal training".
    >>:p
    >>

    >Yes very true..

    Ah, the joys of self discovery!

    jerm, Jan 5, 2004
  15. Loupole

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:25:51 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:
    >
    > >T.N.O. wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself? no.

    > >Agree on all counts.
    > >
    > >> Check out one of the millions of articles online about airflow through
    > >> a case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need any more
    > >> fans than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    > >So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    > >
    > >Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case temp is
    > >too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep the CPU within
    > >12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at least* two case fans in
    > >summer, one blowing out below your PSU and one sucking in at the front. If
    > >you already have two then check that your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing
    > >the air-flow through the case.
    > >
    > >Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s advice is
    > >flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just anecdotal evidence
    > >concerning a case with a side removed.

    > And how in the hell would you know..
    >
    > Its you that is the utter cowboy here, with out any formal training..

    And your list of qualifications is... ?

    Mainlander, Jan 9, 2004
  16. Loupole

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <UC_Jb.1720$>, ~misfit~@his_desk.com
    says...
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > Loupole wrote:
    > >> Are the above temps in safe limits or should I think about some extra
    > >> cooling ???

    > > Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself? no.

    > Agree on all counts.
    >
    > > Check out one of the millions of articles online about airflow through
    > > a case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need any more
    > > fans than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    > So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    >
    > Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case temp is
    > too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep the CPU within
    > 12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at least* two case fans in
    > summer, one blowing out below your PSU and one sucking in at the front. If
    > you already have two then check that your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing
    > the air-flow through the case.
    >
    > Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s advice is
    > flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just anecdotal evidence
    > concerning a case with a side removed.

    My old P166MMX is reading 65 in summer with the motherboard temp at 31, I
    figure getting at least one fan at the back should lower the CPU temp?
    there are vents at the front of the case so the dust shouldn't be sucked
    through the CD ROM

    Mainlander, Jan 9, 2004
  17. Loupole

    K & S Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:52:17 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <UC_Jb.1720$>, ~misfit~@his_desk.com
    >says...
    >> T.N.O. wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself? no.

    >> Agree on all counts.
    >>
    >> > Check out one of the millions of articles online about airflow through
    >> > a case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need any more
    >> > fans than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    >> So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    >>
    >> Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case temp is
    >> too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep the CPU within
    >> 12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at least* two case fans in
    >> summer, one blowing out below your PSU and one sucking in at the front. If
    >> you already have two then check that your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing
    >> the air-flow through the case.
    >>
    >> Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s advice is
    >> flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just anecdotal evidence
    >> concerning a case with a side removed.

    >My old P166MMX is reading 65 in summer with the motherboard temp at 31, I
    >figure getting at least one fan at the back should lower the CPU temp?
    >there are vents at the front of the case so the dust shouldn't be sucked
    >through the CD ROM

    Why all this illegal HTML postings..

    Or is it that this news group is now full or Dorks..?

    K & S, Jan 9, 2004
  18. Loupole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <UC_Jb.1720$>,
    > ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    >> T.N.O. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Safe? yes, inside limits? yes, would I be happy with them myself?
    >>> no.

    >> Agree on all counts.
    >>
    >>> Check out one of the millions of articles online about airflow
    >>> through a case... some simple ducting can mean that you don't need
    >>> any more fans than usual... maintaining your sanity.

    >> So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    >>
    >> Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case
    >> temp is too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep
    >> the CPU within 12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at
    >> least* two case fans in summer, one blowing out below your PSU and
    >> one sucking in at the front. If you already have two then check that
    >> your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing the air-flow through the
    >> case.
    >>
    >> Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s
    >> advice is flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just
    >> anecdotal evidence concerning a case with a side removed.

    > My old P166MMX is reading 65 in summer with the motherboard temp at
    > 31, I figure getting at least one fan at the back should lower the
    > CPU temp? there are vents at the front of the case so the dust
    > shouldn't be sucked through the CD ROM

    What are you using to cool the CPU? A 34°C difference in CPU/case temp
    suggests to me that the CPU HSF isn't very good.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 10, 2004
  19. Loupole

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > What are you using to cool the CPU? A 34°C difference in CPU/case temp
    > suggests to me that the CPU HSF isn't very good.

    Ignore this question. ;-) I've just realised it's the same machine as the
    other thread, an Intel-fitted heatsink with a little circle of fins and an
    integral fan. Not a very efficient cooler.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 10, 2004
  20. Loupole

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:52:17 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <UC_Jb.1720$>, ~misfit~@his_desk.com
    > >says...

    > >> Agree on all counts.

    > >> So, it's the fans........... Bwahaaahaaa.
    > >>
    > >> Loupole, you need to get more airflow through your case. Your case temp is
    > >> too high, in general even the very best HSF can only keep the CPU within
    > >> 12°C of the case temp. With that set-up you need *at least* two case fans in
    > >> summer, one blowing out below your PSU and one sucking in at the front.. If
    > >> you already have two then check that your IDE cables etc. aren't obstructing
    > >> the air-flow through the case.
    > >>
    > >> Lower your case temp and the CPU temp will folllow. "Dumbdedo"'s advice is
    > >> flawed as he doesn't really give you any help, just anecdotal evidence
    > >> concerning a case with a side removed.

    > >My old P166MMX is reading 65 in summer with the motherboard temp at 31, I
    > >figure getting at least one fan at the back should lower the CPU temp?
    > >there are vents at the front of the case so the dust shouldn't be sucked
    > >through the CD ROM

    > Why all this illegal HTML postings..
    >
    > Or is it that this news group is now full or Dorks..?

    Full of you, my posts are made using a plain text reader

    You shouldn't complain just because the news client you are using came
    out of the ark

    Mainlander, Jan 10, 2004