advice needed on cheap 300mm's for 20D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fjr.colorado@gmail.com, Jul 29, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Need a zoom lens, just to widen my options when shooting with my 20D.

    I know all about the pros/extreme benefits of spending 2000+ $ on a
    good one. But I'm not there at the moment budget wise.

    Am considering the Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (about $175) or the Tamron
    28-300 f/3.5-6.3 (about $400).

    Both get above average ratings on Amazon. Neither have IS, I believe.

    No fast action sports shooting here for me, so right now at least, I
    don't need a large optic 2.8. I wouldn't mind upgrading some day, but
    that's a ways off for now.

    Have a tri and monopod, and my primary shooting will be
    landscapes/scenery (hiking, mountains, etc. - heading to Kauai next
    month).

    Am looking for advice on which one I should probably pick up.
    Considering the above - what should I opt for? Of course, the $175
    option is the most attractive money-wise, and I like the fact it's an
    original Canon.

    Thanks!

    , Jul 29, 2006

  2. Charles Schuler, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Guest

    PS.

    The only thing I'm not sure what "aspherical" means. The Tamron is
    this. It's aparently better, but I'm not sure what the significance is
    of this.

    Thanks

    wrote:
    > Need a zoom lens, just to widen my options when shooting with my 20D.
    >
    > I know all about the pros/extreme benefits of spending 2000+ $ on a
    > good one. But I'm not there at the moment budget wise.
    >
    > Am considering the Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (about $175) or the Tamron
    > 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 (about $400).
    >
    > Both get above average ratings on Amazon. Neither have IS, I believe.
    >
    > No fast action sports shooting here for me, so right now at least, I
    > don't need a large optic 2.8. I wouldn't mind upgrading some day, but
    > that's a ways off for now.
    >
    > Have a tri and monopod, and my primary shooting will be
    > landscapes/scenery (hiking, mountains, etc. - heading to Kauai next
    > month).
    >
    > Am looking for advice on which one I should probably pick up.
    > Considering the above - what should I opt for? Of course, the $175
    > option is the most attractive money-wise, and I like the fact it's an
    > original Canon.
    >
    > Thanks!

    , Jul 29, 2006
  4. Bill Funk Guest

    On 29 Jul 2006 15:58:55 -0700, wrote:

    >PS.
    >
    >The only thing I'm not sure what "aspherical" means. The Tamron is
    >this. It's aparently better, but I'm not sure what the significance is
    >of this.
    >
    >Thanks

    Apherical means one or more of the lens elements isn't shaped as a
    part of the surface of a sphere.
    Often such elements are a plactic/epoxy, which is much easssier to
    shape that way.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jul 30, 2006
  5. Pete D Guest

    Sigma 70-300 DG APO, an excellent lens, a keeper and a sleeper.

    Pete D, Jul 30, 2006
  6. Zozzer Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    > Sigma 70-300 DG APO, an excellent lens, a keeper and a sleeper.

    I agree

    Zozzer

    Zozzer, Jul 30, 2006