    experience regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?

    Cheers
    A.D.
    A.D., Jul 4, 2005

  2. A.D.

    thing Guest

    A.D. wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Linux Apache mySQL PHP
    >
    > I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
    > machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
    >
    > I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
    > experience regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?
    >
    > Cheers
    > A.D.

    *nix, well, which ever one you are happy most with. My experience with
    BSDs is just about zero, but freeBSD would be what I would look at first
    if I was going BSD.

    If you are un-familiar with *nix, freebsd looks as good a start as any.
    If you are familar with say redhat, go with redhat otherwise you will be
    learning a new OS and LAMP. You can then cross-grade to freebsd later
    after mastering LAMP...

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jul 4, 2005

  3. A.D.

    thing Guest

    thing wrote:
    > A.D. wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Linux Apache mySQL PHP
    >>
    >> I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
    >> machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
    >>
    >> I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
    >> experience regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> A.D.

    > *nix, well, which ever one you are happy most with. My experience with
    > BSDs is just about zero, but freeBSD would be what I would look at first
    > if I was going BSD.
    >
    > If you are un-familiar with *nix, freebsd looks as good a start as any.
    > If you are familar with say redhat, go with redhat otherwise you will be
    > learning a new OS and LAMP. You can then cross-grade to freebsd later
    > after mastering LAMP...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    btw.....LAMP, the L is for linux.......

    So I guess you are going BAMP......

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Jul 4, 2005
  4. A.D.

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:39:31 +1200, A.D. wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Linux Apache mySQL PHP
    >
    > I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
    > machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
    >
    > I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from experience
    > regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?

    1.2 GB isn't a huge amount of disk space even for a machine of that speed
    - only 10X your RAM ;)

    I'd recommend going with a minimal command line only install. FreeBSD or
    Debian (Linux) would work well. The trick is to not let the install much
    during the installation, and just install what you need later.

    I'd recommend Debian myself, but FreeBSD is still a good choice.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jul 4, 2005
  5. A.D.

    A.D. Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:39:31 +1200, A.D. wrote:
    >

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Linux Apache mySQL PHP
    >>
    >>I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
    >>machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
    >>
    >>I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from experience
    >>regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?

    > 1.2 GB isn't a huge amount of disk space even for a machine of that speed
    > - only 10X your RAM ;)
    >
    > I'd recommend going with a minimal command line only install. FreeBSD or
    > Debian (Linux) would work well. The trick is to not let the install much
    > during the installation, and just install what you need later.
    >
    > I'd recommend Debian myself, but FreeBSD is still a good choice.

    Sounds like good advice. Cheers.

    A.D.
    A.D., Jul 4, 2005
  6. A.D.

    A.D. Guest

    thing wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >> A.D. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Linux Apache mySQL PHP
    >>>
    >>> I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a
    >>> testing/development machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB
    >>> HDD).
    >>>
    >>> I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
    >>> experience regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> A.D.

    >> *nix, well, which ever one you are happy most with. My experience with
    >> BSDs is just about zero, but freeBSD would be what I would look at
    >> first if I was going BSD.
    >>
    >> If you are un-familiar with *nix, freebsd looks as good a start as
    >> any. If you are familar with say redhat, go with redhat otherwise you
    >> will be learning a new OS and LAMP. You can then cross-grade to
    >> freebsd later after mastering LAMP...
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > btw.....LAMP, the L is for linux.......
    >
    > So I guess you are going BAMP......
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    If I used Debian would I need a Handi-towel?

    :)
    A.D., Jul 4, 2005
  7. A.D.

    A.D. Guest

    A.D. wrote:
    > AD. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:39:31 +1200, A.D. wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Linux Apache mySQL PHP
    >>>
    >>> I've got a spare tower I'd thought I'd set up as a testing/development
    >>> machine. (AMD 350MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, and a 1.2GB HDD).
    >>>
    >>> I was thinking of using FreeBSD. Any suggestions or words from
    >>> experience
    >>> regarding the LAMP set up? What version of *nix should I use?

    >> 1.2 GB isn't a huge amount of disk space even for a machine of that speed
    >> - only 10X your RAM ;)
    >>
    >> I'd recommend going with a minimal command line only install. FreeBSD or
    >> Debian (Linux) would work well. The trick is to not let the install much
    >> during the installation, and just install what you need later.
    >>
    >> I'd recommend Debian myself, but FreeBSD is still a good choice.
    >>

    > Sounds like good advice. Cheers.
    >
    > A.D.

    FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might try
    a W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.

    A.D.
    A.D., Jul 5, 2005
  8. A.D.

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:27:44 +1200, A.D. wrote:

    > FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might try a
    > W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.

    The base install of Debian is only 100MB or so from memory. You just have
    to ensure you skip the install extra packages step - you even have to
    install 'openssh' and 'less' manually if you do that. That would leave
    plenty of room your dev apps.

    Let us know if you need more help installing it. There are plenty of
    Debian users in here.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jul 5, 2005
  9. A.D. wrote:
    > FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might try
    > a W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.

    heh, replace Apache with IIS and it becomes W.I.M.P. :)

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 5, 2005
  10. A.D.

    shannon Guest

    A.D. wrote:

    > A.D. wrote:
    >
    >> AD. wrote:

    >>> 1.2 GB isn't a huge amount of disk space even for a machine of that
    >>> speed
    >>> - only 10X your RAM ;)
    >>>
    >>> I'd recommend going with a minimal command line only install. FreeBSD or
    >>> Debian (Linux) would work well. The trick is to not let the install much
    >>> during the installation, and just install what you need later.
    >>>
    >>> I'd recommend Debian myself, but FreeBSD is still a good choice.
    >>>

    >> Sounds like good advice. Cheers.
    >>
    >> A.D.

    > FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might try
    > a W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.
    >
    > A.D.

    These guys have done their best to make it easy, might be worth giving
    it a shot.

    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

    You could also put it on a Debian base install or Damnsmalllinux perhaps.

    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

    Newsforge article

    http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/16/204210&from=rss
    shannon, Jul 5, 2005
  11. A.D.

    A.D. Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > A.D. wrote:
    >
    >> FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might
    >> try a W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.

    > heh, replace Apache with IIS and it becomes W.I.M.P. :)

    Very good... *applause*

    W.I.A.A.
    1) Windows IIS Access ASP (also a 'budget' set-up)
    2) a sound made by small children

    A.D.
    A.D., Jul 6, 2005
  12. A.D.

    A.D. Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > A.D. wrote:
    >
    >> A.D. wrote:

    >>> Sounds like good advice. Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> A.D.

    >> FreeBSD minimal install fits on 1.2GB HDD, but not much else. Might
    >> try a W.A.M.P. solution on my Windows box - 10GB spare.
    >>
    >> A.D.

    > These guys have done their best to make it easy, might be worth giving
    > it a shot.
    >
    > http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
    >
    > You could also put it on a Debian base install or Damnsmalllinux perhaps.
    >
    > http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
    >
    > Newsforge article
    >
    > http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/16/204210&from=rss

    Brilliant. That's exactly what I need. I'm still a novice feeling my way
    around.

    I'll get Windows sorted first for the website and worry about Linux in
    my spare time.

    A.D.
    A.D., Jul 6, 2005
  13. In article <>, "A.D." <> wrote:

    >Linux Apache mySQL PHP

    Do you really want to use PHP? I'd recommend either Perl or Python
    instead. In my experience using both Perl and PHP with MySQL, Perl wins
    hands down.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 11, 2005
  14. I believe there's all in one setups available at sourceforge.net if you
    want to set up a WAMP server(s), one I remember was called PHP Triad,
    if you do a search on sourceforge.net for triad, you'll come across the
    exes that have apache/mysql/php/perl/phpmyadmin and a whole bunch of
    other things all configured, you just install, and the server's
    running.

    Man, beats having to install Apache then php then mysql the manual way!

    --
    Regards

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jul 11, 2005
  15. Really? I always thought learning php was a pretty easy thing to do,
    especially if you've done another programming language like C.

    An advantage to using PHP/MySQL is Dreamweaver's point and click
    interface of accessing a database with PHP. Really really really really
    simple, download yourself a trial copy of Dreamweaver MX 2004, create
    the database and the user/pass in say, PHPMyAdmin, give those values to
    Dreamweaver, then point and click your way to success. However be
    warned, Dreamweaver doesn't give errors for badly designed databases
    and tables etc... (logical errors, not typos), so while your database
    might technically work, it might be sloppily designed and hard to
    maintain/upgrade/grow. I recommend doing some database courses at a
    polytech or university, or there's some good database design books out
    there.

    --
    Regards

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Jul 11, 2005
  16. In article <>,
    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote:

    >Really? I always thought learning php was a pretty easy thing to do,
    >especially if you've done another programming language like C.

    PHP seems to appeal to the kind of programmer who thinks that
    "magic_quotes_gpc = On" is a really good idea.

    >An advantage to using PHP/MySQL is Dreamweaver's point and click
    >interface of accessing a database with PHP.

    Does it guard against SQL injection attacks?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 12, 2005
  17. No more than using Borland C++ builder 6 guards you against accessing
    memory you shouldn't be accessing. Intelligence comes from the
    programmer, not the IDE, no?
    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning