    motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken during the day.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Ken

    K9660R, Oct 30, 2003

  2. put neutral density filter(s) over the lens and use a very slow shutter
    speed like 1/8 second. that may be too slow... try various slow
    shutter speeds. use a tripod.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, Oct 30, 2003

  3. K9660R

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 30 Oct 2003 02:18:58 GMT, cal (K9660R) wrote:

    >I recently bought a Canon G5. I'm pretty much a rookie as far as learning all
    >the bells and whistles but I do intend to learn them. I can never seem to find
    >the answers to what I want to do in the owners manual though so I am hoping
    >someone with more experience can tell me how to do this special effect (if it's
    >even possible with this camera).
    >
    >I want to take a photo of a roller coaster coming down a drop. I want the
    >structure of the coaster to be in focus but I want the train to look have a
    >motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken during the day.
    >
    >Any advice is appreciated.
    >
    >Ken

    Put the camera on a tripod and use a slow shutter speed,
    say 1/10 or 1/4 second or even longer.

    You'll need to have the camera in manual mode or
    shutter-priority mode to do this.

    Depending on lighting conditions, you may need to
    use a lower ISO setting for the shot, in order to allow
    a shutter speed in that range.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Oct 30, 2003
  4. K9660R

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    K9660R wrote:

    > I recently bought a Canon G5. I'm pretty much a rookie as far as
    > learning all the bells and whistles but I do intend to learn them. I
    > can never seem to find the answers to what I want to do in the owners
    > manual though so I am hoping someone with more experience can tell me
    > how to do this special effect (if it's even possible with this
    > camera).
    >
    > I want to take a photo of a roller coaster coming down a drop. I want
    > the structure of the coaster to be in focus but I want the train to
    > look have a motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken
    > during the day.
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated.

    1. Put your camera on a tripod (a mini-tripod on a table or equally
    steady place will do. You can find mini-tripods at Best Buy or
    similar electronic chain stores for as low as $6-7.)
    2. Point your camera at the spot where you are expecting your
    subject to be when you shoot it.
    3. Select shutter speed priority (I'm not familiar with your camera,
    it might not have that feature) and 1/30.
    4. Wait for your subject to be in the viewfinder
    5. Meter and shoot.

    If you are not satisfied with the results, lower the shutter speed
    for more blur or raise it for less.

    BTW, alternatively you can fake the same effect in Photoshop
    or similar software with a "motion blur" plug-in.

    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 30, 2003
  5. K9660R

    Andy Guest

    "Bay Area Dave" <> wrote in message
    > put neutral density filter(s) over the lens and use a very slow shutter
    > speed like 1/8 second. that may be too slow... try various slow
    > shutter speeds. use a tripod.
    >
    > dave
    >
    > K9660R wrote:
    > > I recently bought a Canon G5. I'm pretty much a rookie as far as

    learning all
    > > the bells and whistles but I do intend to learn them. I can never seem

    to find
    > > the answers to what I want to do in the owners manual though so I am

    hoping
    > > someone with more experience can tell me how to do this special effect

    (if it's
    > > even possible with this camera).
    > >
    > > I want to take a photo of a roller coaster coming down a drop. I want

    the
    > > structure of the coaster to be in focus but I want the train to look

    have a
    > > motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken during the day.
    > >
    > > Any advice is appreciated.
    > >
    > > Ken

    1/8 is to slow 1/45 maybe good if roller coaster is not to fast 1/60 should
    work well.

    Andy, Oct 30, 2003
  6. K9660R

    Andy Guest

    "Rafe B." <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Oct 2003 02:18:58 GMT, cal (K9660R) wrote:
    >
    > >I recently bought a Canon G5. I'm pretty much a rookie as far as learning

    all
    > >the bells and whistles but I do intend to learn them. I can never seem to

    find
    > >the answers to what I want to do in the owners manual though so I am

    hoping
    > >someone with more experience can tell me how to do this special effect

    (if it's
    > >even possible with this camera).
    > >
    > >I want to take a photo of a roller coaster coming down a drop. I want the
    > >structure of the coaster to be in focus but I want the train to look have

    > >motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken during the day.
    > >
    > >Any advice is appreciated.
    > >
    > >Ken

    > Put the camera on a tripod and use a slow shutter speed,
    > say 1/10 or 1/4 second or even longer.
    >
    > You'll need to have the camera in manual mode or
    > shutter-priority mode to do this.
    >
    > Depending on lighting conditions, you may need to
    > use a lower ISO setting for the shot, in order to allow
    > a shutter speed in that range.
    >

    > rafe b.
    > http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Did you ever took a motion picture in your life ? 1/10 of the second is to
    slow to blur slow moving water at 1/4 of the second a fast moving roller
    coaster practically will not be recorded there will be a little mess on
    your picture . 1/4 of the second can be good if roller coaster is incoming
    towards you 200 meters away.

    Andy, Oct 30, 2003
  7. K9660R

    K9660R Guest

    You guys are awesome! Thanks!!

    Ken

    K9660R, Oct 30, 2003
  8. K9660R

    Andy Guest

    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message
    > K9660R wrote:
    >
    > > I recently bought a Canon G5. I'm pretty much a rookie as far as
    > > learning all the bells and whistles but I do intend to learn them. I
    > > can never seem to find the answers to what I want to do in the owners
    > > manual though so I am hoping someone with more experience can tell me
    > > how to do this special effect (if it's even possible with this
    > > camera).
    > >
    > > I want to take a photo of a roller coaster coming down a drop. I want
    > > the structure of the coaster to be in focus but I want the train to
    > > look have a motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken
    > > during the day.
    > >
    > > Any advice is appreciated.

    > 1. Put your camera on a tripod (a mini-tripod on a table or equally
    > steady place will do. You can find mini-tripods at Best Buy or
    > similar electronic chain stores for as low as $6-7.)
    > 2. Point your camera at the spot where you are expecting your
    > subject to be when you shoot it.
    > 3. Select shutter speed priority (I'm not familiar with your camera,
    > it might not have that feature) and 1/30.
    > 4. Wait for your subject to be in the viewfinder
    > 5. Meter and shoot.
    >
    > If you are not satisfied with the results, lower the shutter speed
    > for more blur or raise it for less.
    >
    > BTW, alternatively you can fake the same effect in Photoshop
    > or similar software with a "motion blur" plug-in.

    1/30 of second ?
    Paulo I believe you did some motion pictures. Good advice.

    Andy, Oct 30, 2003
  9. K9660R

    Andy Guest

    "K9660R" <> wrote in message
    > I recently bought a Canon G5. I'm pretty much a rookie as far as learning

    all
    > the bells and whistles but I do intend to learn them. I can never seem to

    find
    > the answers to what I want to do in the owners manual though so I am

    hoping
    > someone with more experience can tell me how to do this special effect (if

    it's
    > even possible with this camera).
    >
    > I want to take a photo of a roller coaster coming down a drop. I want the
    > structure of the coaster to be in focus but I want the train to look have

    > motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken during the day.
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Ken

    Sorry if you think I'm to pushy in my advice about motion pictures, but I
    love this photo subject and do beautiful motion pictures so I can share my
    experience.
    Think logically . If the subject goes across your view with a speed 20
    km/hr.this mean it goes 5 meters/second. To do a nice blur on the picture
    and still show something recognizable you need to use a slow enough speed to
    do blur but fast enough to record some subject details. If the shutter speed
    will be to slow you will do a mess on the picture and no body will know what
    you were photographing. To do nice blur you should not use slower speed
    which can record 25-50 cm movement. In my example if subject goes 5m/sec.
    will need 1/20/ second to show 25 cm movement. Roller coaster in some
    moments goes 100 km/hr ( over 27 meters/second) so even 1/125 is to slow.

    Andy, Oct 30, 2003
  10. K9660R

    MikeWhy Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry if you think I'm to pushy in my advice about motion pictures, but I
    > love this photo subject and do beautiful motion pictures so I can share my
    > experience.

    I thought so. Not that the advice was bad, or inaccurate. It was the 400KB
    binary posting. Far too pushy.

    > To do nice blur you should not use slower speed
    > which can record 25-50 cm movement. In my example if subject goes 5m/sec.
    > will need 1/20/ second to show 25 cm movement. Roller coaster in some
    > moments goes 100 km/hr ( over 27 meters/second) so even 1/125 is to slow.

    Good advice. A picture would be nice if you were publishing a book, but not
    needed here with the clear and lucid explanation and rationale.

    MikeWhy, Oct 30, 2003
  11. K9660R

    Andy Guest

    "MikeWhy" <> wrote in message
    > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > > Sorry if you think I'm to pushy in my advice about motion pictures, but

    > > love this photo subject and do beautiful motion pictures so I can share

    my
    > > experience.

    > I thought so. Not that the advice was bad, or inaccurate. It was the 400KB
    > binary posting. Far too pushy.
    >
    > > To do nice blur you should not use slower speed
    > > which can record 25-50 cm movement. In my example if subject goes

    5m/sec.
    > > will need 1/20/ second to show 25 cm movement. Roller coaster in some
    > > moments goes 100 km/hr ( over 27 meters/second) so even 1/125 is to

    slow.

    > Good advice. A picture would be nice if you were publishing a book, but

    not
    > needed here with the clear and lucid explanation and rationale.

    To be a good photographer you need to think logically and you need to know
    basics. Otherwise you will always ask simple questions and take somebody's
    time to answer and take a lot of newsgroups bandwidth.

    Andy, Oct 30, 2003
  12. K9660R

    Frank ess Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message

    > "MikeWhy" <> wrote in message
    > > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > > > Sorry if you think I'm to pushy in my advice about motion pictures,

    but
    > > > love this photo subject and do beautiful motion pictures so I can

    share
    > my
    > > > experience.

    > > I thought so. Not that the advice was bad, or inaccurate. It was the

    400KB
    > > binary posting. Far too pushy.
    > >
    > > > To do nice blur you should not use slower speed
    > > > which can record 25-50 cm movement. In my example if subject goes

    > 5m/sec.
    > > > will need 1/20/ second to show 25 cm movement. Roller coaster in some
    > > > moments goes 100 km/hr ( over 27 meters/second) so even 1/125 is to

    > slow.
    > >
    > > Good advice. A picture would be nice if you were publishing a book, but

    > not
    > > needed here with the clear and lucid explanation and rationale.
    > >

    > To be a good photographer you need to think logically and you need to know
    > basics. Otherwise you will always ask simple questions and take

    somebody's
    > time to answer and take a lot of newsgroups bandwidth.

    Thereby fulfilling the purpose of Usenet.

    Frank ess, Oct 30, 2003
  13. K9660R

    Birk Binnard Guest

    Wouldn't the concept of motion be more plausible if the photo did the
    reverse -- namely keep the coaster in focus and blur the background
    structure? This is more like what your eye would see....you would focus on
    the coaster with the result that the background would blur.

    Creating this effect with a camera is tricky....you have to use a somewhat
    slow shutter speed, track the coaster as it moves and then trip the shutter
    while the camera continues to track the coaster.
    ---------------
    Birk Binnard
    Peninsula Software
    http://www.birkbinnard.com

    Birk Binnard, Oct 30, 2003
  14. K9660R

    Faolan Guest

    In the writings of K9660R, the <20031029211858.22546.00000392@mb-
    m02.aol.com> scrolls contained these prophetic words:

    > I want to take a photo of a roller coaster coming down a drop. I want the
    > structure of the coaster to be in focus but I want the train to look have a
    > motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken during the day.

    Hi Ken,

    You have had the technical way of doing it, the cheat way is to use
    radial or motion blur on a copy of the image on a new layer in Photoshop
    and then mask out the unneeded changes.
    --
    Scottish Heritage:
    http://www.CelticShadows.co.uk

    Faolan, Oct 30, 2003
  15. K9660R

    Andy Guest

    "Birk Binnard" <> wrote in message
    > Wouldn't the concept of motion be more plausible if the photo did the
    > reverse -- namely keep the coaster in focus and blur the background
    > structure? This is more like what your eye would see....you would focus

    on
    > the coaster with the result that the background would blur.
    >
    > Creating this effect with a camera is tricky....you have to use a somewhat
    > slow shutter speed, track the coaster as it moves and then trip the

    shutter
    > while the camera continues to track the coaster.
    > ---------------
    > Birk Binnard
    > Peninsula Software
    > http://www.birkbinnard.com

    To do this effect you need to read a formula I posted earlier, it is same
    formula for panning a subject and blurring the background or blurring the
    subject but keeping sharp background.

    Andy, Oct 30, 2003
  16. K9660R

    K9660R Guest

    << From: Faolan ---
    You have had the technical way of doing it, the cheat way is to use
    radial or motion blur on a copy of the image on a new layer in Photoshop
    and then mask out the unneeded changes. >><BR><BR>

    Well, I am an experienced in Photoshop and am well aware of the blur filters.
    But, I would rather learn how to do this with the camera. The PS method would
    be a last resort though but it sounds that with a little experimentation I can
    figure the perfect shutter speed.

    Ken

    K9660R, Oct 30, 2003
  17. K9660R

    Dan Wolf Guest

    "K9660R" <> wrote in message
    > I recently bought a Canon G5. I'm pretty much a rookie as far as learning

    all
    > the bells and whistles but I do intend to learn them. I can never seem to

    find
    > the answers to what I want to do in the owners manual though so I am

    hoping
    > someone with more experience can tell me how to do this special effect (if

    it's
    > even possible with this camera).
    >
    > I want to take a photo of a roller coaster coming down a drop. I want the
    > structure of the coaster to be in focus but I want the train to look have

    > motion blur as if it is going fast. This will be taken during the day.
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated.
    >
    > Ken

    I recently took some photos like you're describing:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/22684187
    http://www.pbase.com/image/22684183

    Hand-held (didn't have a tripod or place to set the camera), 1/20 sec on
    one, 1/30 sec on the other, both at f22. No filters or photoshop work,
    except a bit of sharpening.

    Dan

    Dan Wolf, Oct 30, 2003
  18. K9660R

    K9660R Guest

    << From: "Dan Wolf" -----

    I recently took some photos like you're describing:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/22684187
    http://www.pbase.com/image/22684183

    Hand-held (didn't have a tripod or place to set the camera), 1/20 sec on
    one, 1/30 sec on the other, both at f22. No filters or photoshop work
    >><BR><BR>

    Dan, those are excellent shots! That's EXACTLY what I want to do, especially
    with the close up image you took. Thanks for sharing the pics and the info.

    Ken

    K9660R, Oct 30, 2003
  19. K9660R

    Andy Guest

    "K9660R" <> wrote in message
    > << From: "Dan Wolf" -----
    >
    > I recently took some photos like you're describing:
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/22684187
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/22684183
    >
    > Hand-held (didn't have a tripod or place to set the camera), 1/20 sec on
    > one, 1/30 sec on the other, both at f22. No filters or photoshop work
    > >><BR><BR>

    > Dan, those are excellent shots! That's EXACTLY what I want to do,

    especially
    > with the close up image you took. Thanks for sharing the pics and the

    info.

    > Ken

    You see ? Who was right ? Of course me. I suggested much faster time than
    most competitors. My suggestion was about 1/45 or 1/60 of second. If you
    used those shutter speeds you would have a better effect than on your
    pictures. Your roller coaster is blurred a little bit to much which shows
    tremendous speed. If you used faster shutter time your roller coaster could
    look nicer. Fact, probably you could not do it because of your film to fast
    or limited minimum aperture in your lens. I'm right ?

    Andy, Oct 30, 2003
  20. K9660R

    Dan Wolf Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > You see ? Who was right ? Of course me. I suggested much faster time than
    > most competitors. My suggestion was about 1/45 or 1/60 of second. If you
    > used those shutter speeds you would have a better effect than on your
    > pictures. Your roller coaster is blurred a little bit to much which shows
    > tremendous speed. If you used faster shutter time your roller coaster

    could
    > look nicer. Fact, probably you could not do it because of your film to

    fast
    > or limited minimum aperture in your lens. I'm right ?

    A better effect to who? Personally, I like the result, and I don't think
    it's blurred a little too much at all. It all depends on the effect you're
    looking for.

    If I used a faster shutter, the roller coaster would look less blurred,
    obviously. I don't understand your last bit. How about 1/1000 shutter
    speed? That's faster. Would that be better? And: Film? What's that?

    Dan

    Dan Wolf, Oct 30, 2003