Advice for taking my digital camera to the tropics / rainforest

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ian, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Hi,

    I'm off to Borneo in May and so I am about to buy myself a new compact
    digital camera. I'm a bit worried about using it in the rainforest as I have
    heard high humidity can get in the camera and break it or cause fungus on
    the inside of the lens. Can someone please give me some advice on how best
    to look after it, whilst still getting maximum use from it out there?
    I imagine I can use ziplock bags and silica gel to transport it around, but
    am I putting it at risk the moment I take it out? And is the heat dangerous
    for the LCD or the reliability of the CompactFlash card? I want to buy the
    Canon Ixus 500 (I know there is the weatherproof Olympus but I specifically
    want the Canon). I would also like to avoid buying the underwater housing
    for it as it is expensive and I do not think I would use it again.

    Many Thanks,

    Ian

    Ian, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Ian

    stewy Guest

    "Ian" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm off to Borneo in May and so I am about to buy myself a new compact
    > digital camera. I'm a bit worried about using it in the rainforest as I

    have
    > heard high humidity can get in the camera and break it or cause fungus on
    > the inside of the lens. Can someone please give me some advice on how best
    > to look after it, whilst still getting maximum use from it out there?
    > I imagine I can use ziplock bags and silica gel to transport it around,

    but
    > am I putting it at risk the moment I take it out? And is the heat

    dangerous
    > for the LCD or the reliability of the CompactFlash card? I want to buy the
    > Canon Ixus 500 (I know there is the weatherproof Olympus but I

    specifically
    > want the Canon). I would also like to avoid buying the underwater housing
    > for it as it is expensive and I do not think I would use it again.

    Sunlight may pose more of a threat than humidity. Summer humidity in Japan
    is around 85-90% and most Japanese cameras will compensate for this.A black
    case if to be avoided as this traps heat - use a small "bum bag" to carry
    the camera. If you're worried about the heat and humidity silica gel may be
    enough or a small ziplok with ice cubes may help. Try to switch
    media/batteries in shadow

    stewy, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Ian

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm off to Borneo in May and so I am about to buy myself a new compact
    >digital camera. I'm a bit worried about using it in the rainforest as I have
    >heard high humidity can get in the camera and break it or cause fungus on
    >the inside of the lens. Can someone please give me some advice on how best
    >to look after it, whilst still getting maximum use from it out there?
    >I imagine I can use ziplock bags and silica gel to transport it around, but
    >am I putting it at risk the moment I take it out? And is the heat dangerous
    >for the LCD or the reliability of the CompactFlash card? I want to buy the
    >Canon Ixus 500 (I know there is the weatherproof Olympus but I specifically
    >want the Canon). I would also like to avoid buying the underwater housing
    >for it as it is expensive and I do not think I would use it again.
    >
    >Many Thanks,
    >
    >Ian

    Just keep the camera as dry as possible by making sure it has air circulating
    around it as much as possible. In other words don't leave it in a bag that
    doesn't have good ventilation for too long. Don't worry about silica gel unless
    you know the camera will be stored in such an environment while in a bag or
    container that does not have good circulation. Enjoy your trip and don't sweat
    (worry baout) the camera too much or the flash cards.

    zbzbzb, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Ian

    WP20032 Guest

    >Subject: Advice for taking my digital camera to the tropics / rainforest
    >From: "Ian"
    >Date: 4/7/2004 6:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm off to Borneo in May and so I am about to buy myself a new compact
    >digital camera. I'm a bit worried about using it in the rainforest as I have
    >heard high humidity can get in the camera and break it or cause fungus on
    >the inside of the lens. Can someone please give me some advice on how best
    >to look after it, whilst still getting maximum use from it out there?

    I have taken a Nikon 880 (a few years old now) to central america several times
    with no problems. I use a simple cloth camera bag, and keep it sheltered from
    rain. My primary camera has been film, but the digital has had not problems.

    Other concerns with digital are the battery charging and storage. I carry some
    non-rechargeable camera batteries for those times when electricity is not
    available. I find that a handful of CF cards for my camera is an easy way to
    store images, rather than carrying a lot of other gear.

    --Wayne

    WP20032, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Ian

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Ian <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm off to Borneo in May and so I am about to buy myself a new compact
    >digital camera. I'm a bit worried about using it in the rainforest as I have
    >heard high humidity can get in the camera and break it or cause fungus on
    >the inside of the lens. Can someone please give me some advice on how best
    >to look after it, whilst still getting maximum use from it out there?
    >I imagine I can use ziplock bags and silica gel to transport it around, but
    >am I putting it at risk the moment I take it out? And is the heat dangerous
    >for the LCD or the reliability of the CompactFlash card? I want to buy the
    >Canon Ixus 500 (I know there is the weatherproof Olympus but I specifically
    >want the Canon). I would also like to avoid buying the underwater housing
    >for it as it is expensive and I do not think I would use it again.

    Don't worry. I have spent 16 months in tropical areas since 1998, using
    four different digital cameras and never experienced any problems. I
    might add that all these cameras still work fine now.

    The only thing once happened is that we entered a very steamy restaurant
    and when I took out my camera (guess it still had the temperature of the
    A/C hotel room) a layer of steam developed on the lens. But this layer
    quickly went away, as the camera "acclimatised".
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Ian

    Graham Bailey

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1

    This is a very bad idea - not only will the ice cubes melt and then you're carrying around a bag of water that could quite easily leak, but you also make it much more likely that you will get condensation and later mould on the lens. Condensation forms when the lens is colder than the air so water vapor in the air cools down and turns from gas to liquid so you want the glass to be as warm as the air. I would recomend storing your camera with silica gel but not cooling it - also make sure you let it warm up before using it if coming out of an air-conditioned building or first thing in the morning when it will be colder than the air. high temperature arn't good for cameras but so long as you dont leave it in direct sunlight for a long time it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

    Graham
    www.grahambaileyphotography.com

    Graham Bailey, Jan 30, 2008