Advice for Switch and Router solution for small office

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by gegidio@spamhole.com, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I'd like to setup a small network using VLAN(s). I would need about 4
    VLANs with the following node distribution:

    VLAN 1: 5 servers
    VLAN 2: 4 servers
    VLAN 3: 50 workstations
    VLAN 4: 10 workstations

    I was thinking about a couple of 2950 48p catalyst switches. Which
    router would you suggest for routing between these VLANs ? the router
    would also be the gateway towards the firewall and out to the Internet.

    One more thing: is there any special requirement to look for in the
    switches and router, should we decide in the future to use VoIP with an
    IP PBX ?

    Thank you!

    , Sep 17, 2005

  2. ESM Guest

    You could look at 3560 series switches which can do routing, instead of
    2950's and a router. Less equipment, but most likely much more expensive.

    However, you can buy 3560 in PoE models, which is something you'd generally
    be after if you're doing VoIP, but is not necessary because all IP phones
    can be used with a power brick. Some come with them (like Polycom
    SoundPoint IP phones) and some you pay extra (Like Cisco IP phones, at about
    $25 per brick). You need to do a cost analyis and see if the cost of power
    bricks (if you have to pay for them) is worth the savings on the switch).
    Also, the 3560's and run an enhanced image and provide QoS, which is
    something you want for a VoIP setup.

    Anyways, for a router to use, it really depends on what you need to do. You
    could use something as basic as the 800 series, or move to the 1800 and 2800
    series. The 1800 series routers are not designed of voice applications as
    they cannot support DSPs. If there was an 800 series that supported DSPs,
    it wouldn't be near enough for your application, so you are probably looking
    at a 2801 at a minimum.

    Your basic requirements for a switch/router when you want to use voice
    should be:
    -Does the switch support VLAN tagging
    -Does the switch support QoS
    -Does the switch support Inline Power
    -Does the router support QoS
    -Does the router support voice (voice software, DSPs, voice modules to hook
    in FXO/FXS, PRI, T1/E1, etc)

    ESM, Sep 17, 2005

  3. stephen Guest

    "ESM" <> wrote in message
    > You could look at 3560 series switches which can do routing, instead of
    > 2950's and a router. Less equipment, but most likely much more

    expensive.

    48p 2950s go from $2500 to $4500 list.

    cheapest 48p 10/100 3560 is $6500 list, but you are getting a more or less
    wirespeed router built in.

    is you want 10/100/1000 then you can get that as a 3560, but not a 2950

    > However, you can buy 3560 in PoE models, which is something you'd

    generally
    > be after if you're doing VoIP, but is not necessary because all IP phones
    > can be used with a power brick. Some come with them (like Polycom
    > SoundPoint IP phones) and some you pay extra (Like Cisco IP phones, at

    about
    > $25 per brick). You need to do a cost analyis and see if the cost of

    power
    > bricks (if you have to pay for them) is worth the savings on the switch).

    Agreed

    but PoE can be cheaper than arranging all the extra power feeds for the
    phones, and if you have a UPS in the wiring closet covering the switches and
    associated Voip servers then the phones work during a mains outage - some
    places that is important.

    > Also, the 3560's and run an enhanced image and provide QoS, which is
    > something you want for a VoIP setup.

    you can do QoS on 2950s (there are 2 levels of QoS, with the better version
    limited to the EI, more expensive flavor of switch, and no upgrade path)

    > Anyways, for a router to use, it really depends on what you need to do.

    You
    > could use something as basic as the 800 series, or move to the 1800 and

    2800
    > series. The 1800 series routers are not designed of voice applications as
    > they cannot support DSPs. If there was an 800 series that supported DSPs,
    > it wouldn't be near enough for your application, so you are probably

    looking
    > at a 2801 at a minimum.

    The implied network design from the VLAN structure is that all traffic
    between users and servers will cross between VLANs - in turn that means you
    need a fast router - and the only cheap fast IP routers are layer 3 switches
    like the 3560s....

    > Your basic requirements for a switch/router when you want to use voice
    > should be:
    > -Does the switch support VLAN tagging
    > -Does the switch support QoS
    > -Does the switch support Inline Power
    > -Does the router support QoS
    > -Does the router support voice (voice software, DSPs, voice modules to

    hook
    > in FXO/FXS, PRI, T1/E1, etc)
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'd like to setup a small network using VLAN(s). I would need about 4
    > > VLANs with the following node distribution:
    > >
    > > VLAN 1: 5 servers
    > > VLAN 2: 4 servers
    > > VLAN 3: 50 workstations
    > > VLAN 4: 10 workstations
    > >
    > > I was thinking about a couple of 2950 48p catalyst switches. Which
    > > router would you suggest for routing between these VLANs ? the router
    > > would also be the gateway towards the firewall and out to the Internet.

    so the router only needs Ethernet interfaces.

    However, the choice really depends on the required performance and you
    havent given much info about that.

    > > One more thing: is there any special requirement to look for in the
    > > switches and router, should we decide in the future to use VoIP with an
    > > IP PBX ?

    power over ethernet - anything else you would add as part of the VoIP / IP
    telephony deployment.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Sep 17, 2005
  4. Guest

    ESM wrote:

    > You could look at 3560 series switches which can do routing, instead of
    > 2950's and a router. Less equipment, but most likely much more expensive.

    Thank you very much for the suggestion. I never used a switch with
    routing; how does the configuration differ from the traditional VLAN +
    external router ? do you apply an IP and subnet to each VLAN and then
    just turn on routing on the switch ? can you apply ACLs on the traffic
    as you'd do on a classic router ?

    > Also, the 3560's and run an enhanced image and provide QoS, which is
    > something you want for a VoIP setup.

    I agree.

    > Anyways, for a router to use, it really depends on what you need to do.

    I would just need to route traffic between the VLANs. This would be
    standard office traffic (meaning some light file management and
    intranet stuff on an internal web site) plus telephone calls going
    towards the IP-PBX.

    > Your basic requirements for a switch/router when you want to use voice
    > should be: [..]

    Thank again for the advices!

    , Sep 17, 2005
  5. ESM Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > ESM wrote:
    >
    >> You could look at 3560 series switches which can do routing, instead of
    >> 2950's and a router. Less equipment, but most likely much more
    >> expensive.

    > Thank you very much for the suggestion. I never used a switch with
    > routing; how does the configuration differ from the traditional VLAN +
    > external router ? do you apply an IP and subnet to each VLAN and then
    > just turn on routing on the switch ? can you apply ACLs on the traffic
    > as you'd do on a classic router ?

    The switch configures exactly the same way in terms of the VLANs but you
    would define an interface IP for each VLAN.
    On a switch like this, you can take any interface and turn it into a routed
    port with the commands "no switchport", essentially making a 24 or 48 port
    router. You enable "ip routing" on the switch itself, and then it can take
    a variety of ip commands like a router would.

    For example, I do the following in many small offices:

    3560 PoE switch (used 3550 PoE's in 1) with ip routing enabled. Every VLAN
    has it's own interface IP. All my devices default gateway is the VLAN int
    ip on the switch. The switch has a defuult route to the edge device (be it
    PIX firewall or small router for T1).

    You can do ACL's

    ESM, Sep 17, 2005
  6. Fred Rabouw Guest

    Take a look at the new Cisco Catalyst Express 500:

    http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/partners/news/2005/pr_prod_09-19.html
    http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2005/hd_091905d.html

    Switch specialy designed for the size of network you talk about.
    You can take tree or four of them

    Regards
    Fred

    Fred Rabouw, Sep 19, 2005