    Now I want to make sure I have sound,could I have some advice on the best,
    cheapest, way to manage this,the right motherboard ?,PCI sound card ?
    thanks for any advice
    grumpyoldhori, Jul 28, 2005

  2. In article <a4l0ka098mbk$>,
    grumpyoldhori <> wrote:

    >Now I want to make sure I have sound,could I have some advice on the best,
    >cheapest, way to manage this,the right motherboard ?,PCI sound card ?
    >thanks for any advice

    SuSE's got pretty good hardware detection in its YaST installer. I'm
    still running 9.1 on my Shuttle SB75G2 box using just its onboard AC97
    sound, and that works OK once you get past a configuration quirk with a
    remedy that's posted on the SuSE site.

    In terms of which motherboards, chipsets and sound cards are supported
    by Linux, I suspect it's too many to list! Your best bet is to narrow
    your choices down to a few likely candidates, then type in their
    names/model numbers together with the word "Linux" into Google and see
    what hits you get.

    By the way, the current version of SuSE is 9.3, which comes in a full
    64-bit version.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2005

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <a4l0ka098mbk$>,
    > grumpyoldhori <> wrote:
    >

    >>Now I want to make sure I have sound,could I have some advice on the best,
    >>cheapest, way to manage this,the right motherboard ?,PCI sound card ?
    >>thanks for any advice

    > SuSE's got pretty good hardware detection in its YaST installer. I'm
    > still running 9.1 on my Shuttle SB75G2 box using just its onboard AC97
    > sound, and that works OK once you get past a configuration quirk with a
    > remedy that's posted on the SuSE site.
    >
    > In terms of which motherboards, chipsets and sound cards are supported
    > by Linux, I suspect it's too many to list! Your best bet is to narrow
    > your choices down to a few likely candidates, then type in their
    > names/model numbers together with the word "Linux" into Google and see
    > what hits you get.
    >
    > By the way, the current version of SuSE is 9.3, which comes in a full
    > 64-bit version.

    Thanks for that,I will do some more study on the suse site
    grumpyoldhori, Jul 28, 2005
  4. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:
    > I am just about to grab a new upgrade box,amd cpu,gigabyte motherboard etc,
    > but I am just starting to learn linux,and I want to dual boot xp+suse.
    >
    > Now I want to make sure I have sound,could I have some advice on the best,
    > cheapest, way to manage this,the right motherboard ?,PCI sound card ?
    > thanks for any advice

    Sometimes Via onboard sound chipsets have issues.
    Get a PCI Soundblaster Live or Audigy.
    shannon, Jul 28, 2005
  5. grumpyoldhori

    Chris Hope Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <a4l0ka098mbk$>,
    > grumpyoldhori <> wrote:
    >
    >>Now I want to make sure I have sound,could I have some advice on the
    >>best, cheapest, way to manage this,the right motherboard ?,PCI sound
    >>card ? thanks for any advice

    > SuSE's got pretty good hardware detection in its YaST installer. I'm
    > still running 9.1 on my Shuttle SB75G2 box using just its onboard AC97
    > sound, and that works OK once you get past a configuration quirk with
    > a remedy that's posted on the SuSE site.
    >
    > In terms of which motherboards, chipsets and sound cards are supported
    > by Linux, I suspect it's too many to list! Your best bet is to narrow
    > your choices down to a few likely candidates, then type in their
    > names/model numbers together with the word "Linux" into Google and see
    > what hits you get.
    >
    > By the way, the current version of SuSE is 9.3, which comes in a full
    > 64-bit version.

    The DVD version has both the 32bit and 64bit versions on it. The CD
    version is only available for 32bit. At least that's the downloadable
    versions anyway. Not sure if they have a boxed set 64bit version on CD.

    Chris Hope, Jul 29, 2005