Advice for copying VHS to DVD, please.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Marshall Ward, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Hello all.

    I am going to be purchasing a DVD recording deck in the near future. My current
    choice would be the Panasonic DMR-E60S. I am doing this because my VCR is
    about to die and the price on these dvd recorders has dropped to an
    acceptable level.

    Unfortunately, I have a small fortune invested in purchased VHS tapes. I
    don't want to have to buy DVDs of movies I already have. I also don't want
    to buy another VCR as it is a dying technology.

    I solved a similar problem with my library of LPs. I bought a preamp and
    hooked my turntable up to the computer and recorded them all and burned
    them to cds. It worked great. The LPs are now in storage and I have a huge
    pile of cds to play in the car that contain music I haven't listened to in
    several years.

    I'd like to do the same with these VHS tapes. The biggest problem I see with
    this is the Macrovision stuff that is on a lot of VHS tapes.

    This is where my expertise is pretty low. The Panasonic comes with a TBC
    circuit on the analog input. My understanding is that a "good" TBC will
    correct the Macrovision copy protection and allow for a clean copy. Is this
    true? Is the Panasonic TBC "good" enough for this purpose? If not, what
    can I do to make these copies?

    I'm going to buy the recorder anyway. It will be used as my day to day
    tv show recorder as well as allowing me to copy my home videos off of VHS
    to DVD since they don't have MV protection.

    Any inputs to this topic would be welcome. If there is a more appropriate
    newsgroup for this question, please provide a pointer.

    Marshall

    Marshall Ward, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Marshall Ward wrote:

    > This is where my expertise is pretty low. The Panasonic comes with a TBC
    > circuit on the analog input. My understanding is that a "good" TBC will
    > correct the Macrovision copy protection and allow for a clean copy. Is this
    > true? Is the Panasonic TBC "good" enough for this purpose? If not, what
    > can I do to make these copies?
    >
    > I'm going to buy the recorder anyway. It will be used as my day to day
    > tv show recorder as well as allowing me to copy my home videos off of VHS
    > to DVD since they don't have MV protection.
    >
    > Any inputs to this topic would be welcome. If there is a more appropriate
    > newsgroup for this question, please provide a pointer.

    If it's like my E50 model the E60S will reject copying these videos.

    Using a "corrector" like the Sima unit will *not* solved the problem
    as it only fixes the issues for the one copy session and passes the
    Macrovision along to the copy.

    You'll prolly have to get a true Macrovision copy buster, something on
    my list too, cheapest one I've found that seems reasonable is about
    $150 US.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Darrel Christenson <> wrote:
    : Marshall Ward wrote:

    :> This is where my expertise is pretty low. The Panasonic comes with a TBC
    :> circuit on the analog input. My understanding is that a "good" TBC will
    :> correct the Macrovision copy protection and allow for a clean copy. Is this
    :> true? Is the Panasonic TBC "good" enough for this purpose? If not, what
    :> can I do to make these copies?
    :>
    :> I'm going to buy the recorder anyway. It will be used as my day to day
    :> tv show recorder as well as allowing me to copy my home videos off of VHS
    :> to DVD since they don't have MV protection.
    :>
    :> Any inputs to this topic would be welcome. If there is a more appropriate
    :> newsgroup for this question, please provide a pointer.

    : If it's like my E50 model the E60S will reject copying these videos.

    : Using a "corrector" like the Sima unit will *not* solved the problem
    : as it only fixes the issues for the one copy session and passes the
    : Macrovision along to the copy.

    : You'll prolly have to get a true Macrovision copy buster, something on
    : my list too, cheapest one I've found that seems reasonable is about
    : $150 US.

    : Darrel :)

    What a drag. Oh well, even $150 plus blank DVD-R discs is a lot cheaper than
    replacing all of the movies with DVDs. From what I can tell, the E60 is
    basically the newer model of the E50. They have added the Firewire connector
    for a Digital camcorder and the slot to take memory cards. The price went
    up as well. Even though the E50 is still available, I'm going to the E60
    to get the Camcorder connector and memory card slot for future toys.

    Marshall

    Marshall Ward, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Marshall Ward <> wrote:
    : Darrel Christenson <> wrote:
    : : Marshall Ward wrote:

    : :> This is where my expertise is pretty low. The Panasonic comes with a TBC
    : :> circuit on the analog input. My understanding is that a "good" TBC will
    : :> correct the Macrovision copy protection and allow for a clean copy. Is this
    : :> true? Is the Panasonic TBC "good" enough for this purpose? If not, what
    : :> can I do to make these copies?
    : :>
[...]

    Darrel,

    I just re-read your response and I don't understand your paragraph about the
    "Sima Unit". What do you mean it only fixes the problem for the one copy
    session? Is the one copy viewable? I don't care if the MV stuff gets
    passed on to the copy as long as I can play it on my dvd player. I only want
    one copy.

    Marshall

    Marshall Ward, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Marshall Ward

    Doonie Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:08:01 +0000 (UTC), Marshall Ward wrote:

    >Unfortunately, I have a small fortune invested in purchased VHS tapes.
    >
    >Any inputs to this topic would be welcome.

    I would sell the VHS collection now, while it's worth anything at
    all.

    Doonie, Sep 30, 2003
  6. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:07:20 +0000 (UTC), Marshall Ward
    <> wrote:

    >Darrel Christenson <> wrote:
    >: Marshall Ward wrote:
    >
    >:> This is where my expertise is pretty low. The Panasonic comes with a TBC
    >:> circuit on the analog input. My understanding is that a "good" TBC will
    >:> correct the Macrovision copy protection and allow for a clean copy. Is this
    >:> true? Is the Panasonic TBC "good" enough for this purpose? If not, what
    >:> can I do to make these copies?
    >:>
    >:> I'm going to buy the recorder anyway. It will be used as my day to day
    >:> tv show recorder as well as allowing me to copy my home videos off of VHS
    >:> to DVD since they don't have MV protection.
    >:>
    >:> Any inputs to this topic would be welcome. If there is a more appropriate
    >:> newsgroup for this question, please provide a pointer.
    >
    >: If it's like my E50 model the E60S will reject copying these videos.
    >
    >: Using a "corrector" like the Sima unit will *not* solved the problem
    >: as it only fixes the issues for the one copy session and passes the
    >: Macrovision along to the copy.
    >
    >: You'll prolly have to get a true Macrovision copy buster, something on
    >: my list too, cheapest one I've found that seems reasonable is about
    >: $150 US.

    WHAT!! I had a bunch of them, "True" Macrovison removers, clipping
    the white overshoots as well as reshaping the sync. (Not just
    CopyGuard removers in other words.) I blew them off for $20 each. Hell
    all they are is a Cmos AND gate and timed delay IC and a couple of
    buffer transistors and capacitors. I could make one in an hour...It
    just shows how money hungry American society is. Everything for the
    almighty buck instead of helping Fellow Man.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 30, 2003
  7. Marshall Ward

    Trevor S Guest

    Trevor S, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Trevor S <> wrote:
    : Marshall Ward <> wrote in
    : news::

    : <snip>

    :
    :> Any inputs to this topic would be welcome. If there is a more
    :> appropriate newsgroup for this question, please provide a pointer.

    : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=3d988e90804e7ede4200182fa5c7302e&forumid=106

    : --
    : Trevor S

    : "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    : -Albert Einstein

    Thanks for the Pointer, Trevor. When I looked at the forum, I found an exchange
    talking about my exact topic. The solution proposed is "The Clarifier"
    available from www.facetvideo.com. Do you have any personal experience with
    this device? A quick google search doesn't turn up much in the way of an
    objective review on this device. If it does indeed solve the problem then
    I would gladly plunk down $90 to put it alongside my new dvd recorder.

    The web site says "satisfaction guaranteed", but I'd like to hear from
    someone who has actually used the device.

    Marshall

    Marshall Ward, Sep 30, 2003
  9. Marshall Ward

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    In article <>,
    Marshall Ward <> wrote:
    >I am going to be purchasing a DVD recording deck in the near future. My current
    >choice would be the Panasonic DMR-E60S. I am doing this because my VCR is
    >about to die and the price on these dvd recorders has dropped to an
    >acceptable level.

    I'd suggest looking into the E80.

    Wow, I had thought the E60 was around $400, but doing an online search (at
    Dealtime.com) it's about $450..

    The E80 is about $500.. and it has a hard drive, and editing capabilities..
    But even if you just use it for some timeshifting of TV, I think that
    the *slight* extra price is worth the flexibility.

    Matt Ackeret, Oct 1, 2003
  10. Marshall Ward

    Trevor S Guest

    Marshall Ward <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > The web site says "satisfaction guaranteed", but I'd like to hear from
    > someone who has actually used the device.

    No experience here sorry, the only VHS tapes I have archived was are old TV
    shows I had taped, transfered to -RAM, moved to HDD on my PC, edited (cut
    Ad's) and then re-authored with TMPGEnc DVD Author to DVD-R with menus on
    my PC. None of these tapes have macrovision. Perhaps register and post on
    the AVS DVD Recorder forum and ask there ?

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Oct 1, 2003