Advice for budget 4.1 or 5.1 speaker system for gaming and music

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nil_einne1@email.com, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hey all,

    I've finally given up on my current setup (long story) and I'm looking
    to buy a budget set of 4.1 or 5.1 speakers for my PC. I don't watch
    DVDs or anything on it so this will be mostly for gaming and music. I'm
    using the onboard Karajan audio module with a Realtek ALC850 codec on
    my DFI Nforce4 mobo so not the best but my understanding is it's decent
    enough and better then most onboard audio on Nforce4 mobos (excluding
    the Live on the Abit of coz).

    The comp is in my room so only about 10sqm area perhaps. The actual
    area covered by speakers is obviously smaller, I would say about 3 sqm.
    I don't need it to be able to work super loud. In fact since the walls
    here don't have good sound insulation and I do a lot of stuff at night
    I tend to have it quite soft.

    I've done some searching on Pricespy and Ascent and have come across
    some interesting candidates. The Creative FPS1600 seems interesting
    since it's the cheap and from what I've read is decent quality. It is
    only 4.1 but from all I've read, the centre speaker doesn't make much
    diff for small room setups esp when it's only for gaming etc. The perm
    attached cables might be a big annoying but shouldn't be too bad.

    I've also looked at the Genius 5.1 system since I know a few people who
    have found them (well the old 4.1 actually) to be quite decent. I would
    be interested in hearing from people who have bought or looked into
    budget systems, especially if you've done comparisons but also general
    comments about anything you did buy will be useful. My price range is
    probably up to $150 but I would have to be convinced any extra money I
    spend is worth it. I don't give a damn about brands and I'm not
    interested in hearing you think Genius sucks because it's cheap or
    whatever.

    I know the best thing is probably to listen for myself but I don't have
    the time and it's probably going to be quite difficult confusing a shop
    to help me given my price range anyway.

    Thanks all

    P.S. My board does support 7.1 but the price of most 6.1 and 7.1
    speaker systems is a bit too high not to mention my room layout would
    require me to have rear and far rear speakers instead of side and rear
    which probably won't work very well especially since there is no audio
    positioning set up.
    , Jun 26, 2005

  2. Robert Cooze Guest

    wrote:
    > Hey all,

    might be a big annoying but shouldn't be too bad.
    > 8><----
    > I've also looked at the Genius 5.1 system since I know a few people who
    > have found them (well the old 4.1 actually) to be quite decent. I would
    > be interested in hearing from people who have bought or looked into
    > budget systems, especially if you've done comparisons but also general
    > comments about anything you did buy will be useful. My price range is
    > probably up to $150 but I would have to be convinced any extra money I
    > spend is worth it. I don't give a damn about brands and I'm not
    > interested in hearing you think Genius sucks because it's cheap or
    > whatever.
    >
    > I know the best thing is probably to listen for myself but I don't have
    > the time and it's probably going to be quite difficult confusing a shop
    > to help me given my price range anyway.

    8><

    The best advice yup I have walked out of many a shop when i was trying
    to buy 5.1 speakers of any sort as to try a out the sound was too much
    hassel. I ended up to a classic sterio setup (two Full range speakers)
    funny enough the orignal buy price when you take in to inflation cost
    way more than most of the stuff now:( .

    Most 5.1 systems are only good for poor sounding movies. they dont play
    music that well and when I talk about the sound of a movie I mean most
    don't have any real positioning. It's like all of the sound comes from
    the back or side or front or left, never a suttle posion of just behind
    the left ear as in a wisper from a long lost frend. I feel that is the
    sound that 5.1 should be able to deliver and prommisesd but never tryed
    to deliver.

    Robert Cooze, Jun 26, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > I know the best thing is probably to listen for myself but I don't have
    > the time and it's probably going to be quite difficult confusing a shop
    > to help me given my price range anyway.
    >
    > Thanks all

    I got the Altec Lansing VS 3151, after a lot of dithering and head
    scratching. Bit of an all-rounder, pretty good music rendition and quite
    good for watching DVDs I find. Amazing output considering the size of
    those satellites.
    I am pretty sure there are better ones to be had if you are a music
    afficionado and have ears that are younger than 40 years or so <g> but
    then you'd be better off buying a proper stereo any-old-how. I had my
    Nakamichi tape deck and an amp sitting next to the system for well over
    a decade now :).

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Tony Guest

    On 26 Jun 2005 08:14:47 -0700, wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >I've finally given up on my current setup (long story) and I'm looking
    >to buy a budget set of 4.1 or 5.1 speakers for my PC. I don't watch
    >DVDs or anything on it so this will be mostly for gaming and music. I'm
    >using the onboard Karajan audio module with a Realtek ALC850 codec on
    >my DFI Nforce4 mobo so not the best but my understanding is it's decent
    >enough and better then most onboard audio on Nforce4 mobos (excluding
    >the Live on the Abit of coz).

    For Value for money you can't go by the Logitech brand..
    Tony, Jun 27, 2005
  5. Adam Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:35:57 +1200, Tony wrote:

    >On 26 Jun 2005 08:14:47 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Hey all,
    >>
    >>I've finally given up on my current setup (long story) and I'm looking
    >>to buy a budget set of 4.1 or 5.1 speakers for my PC. I don't watch
    >>DVDs or anything on it so this will be mostly for gaming and music. I'm
    >>using the onboard Karajan audio module with a Realtek ALC850 codec on
    >>my DFI Nforce4 mobo so not the best but my understanding is it's decent
    >>enough and better then most onboard audio on Nforce4 mobos (excluding
    >>the Live on the Abit of coz).
    >>

    >For Value for money you can't go by the Logitech brand..

    Sorry, Woger, you genuinely lost me there! I'm *not* trying to be
    funny, but do you mean that Logitech are good value for money or the
    reverse?

    I'm not bashing you - you're entitled to your opinion(s) - yay, *some*
    of your advice is even good advice. Oh, shit - now I've done it LOL.

    Adam.
    Adam, Jun 27, 2005
  6. Tony Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:03:37 +1200, Adam wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:35:57 +1200, Tony wrote:
    >
    >>On 26 Jun 2005 08:14:47 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hey all,
    >>>
    >>>I've finally given up on my current setup (long story) and I'm looking
    >>>to buy a budget set of 4.1 or 5.1 speakers for my PC. I don't watch
    >>>DVDs or anything on it so this will be mostly for gaming and music. I'm
    >>>using the onboard Karajan audio module with a Realtek ALC850 codec on
    >>>my DFI Nforce4 mobo so not the best but my understanding is it's decent
    >>>enough and better then most onboard audio on Nforce4 mobos (excluding
    >>>the Live on the Abit of coz).
    >>>

    >>For Value for money you can't go by the Logitech brand..

    >Sorry, Woger, you genuinely lost me there! I'm *not* trying to be
    >funny, but do you mean that Logitech are good value for money or the
    >reverse?
    >
    >I'm not bashing you - you're entitled to your opinion(s) - yay, *some*
    >of your advice is even good advice. Oh, shit - now I've done it LOL.
    >
    >Adam.

    Yes I have a Logitech system but its not a cheap one, but they do make a large
    range of models..

    Look at the reviews as that is what I did..
    Tony, Jun 27, 2005
  7. > I've also looked at the Genius 5.1 system since I know a few people who
    > have found them (well the old 4.1 actually) to be quite decent. I would
    > be interested in hearing from people who have bought or looked into
    > budget systems, especially if you've done comparisons but also general
    > comments about anything you did buy will be useful. My price range is
    > probably up to $150 but I would have to be convinced any extra money I
    > spend is worth it. I don't give a damn about brands and I'm not
    > interested in hearing you think Genius sucks because it's cheap or
    > whatever.

    The wooden genius 5.1 set is extremely good value for money. It's easily
    good enough to show the difference between onboard audio and an audigy sound
    card. I don't actually own a set, but have heard them going plenty of
    times.

    Steve
    Stephen Williams, Jun 27, 2005
  8. MarkH Guest

    Tony <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:03:37 +1200, Adam wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:35:57 +1200, Tony wrote:
    >>

    >>>For Value for money you can't go by the Logitech brand..

    >>Sorry, Woger, you genuinely lost me there! I'm *not* trying to be
    >>funny, but do you mean that Logitech are good value for money or the
    >>reverse?
    >>
    >>I'm not bashing you - you're entitled to your opinion(s) - yay, *some*
    >>of your advice is even good advice. Oh, shit - now I've done it LOL.
    >>
    >>Adam.

    > Yes I have a Logitech system but its not a cheap one, but they do make
    > a large range of models..
    >
    > Look at the reviews as that is what I did..

    I have to agree with Roger on this! I have a Logitech Z-680 system, it is
    really good.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)
    MarkH, Jun 27, 2005
  9. Guest

    I've tried but problem being most reviews never even look at Genius and
    other cheaper brands. Even bigger problem being most of the reviews of
    Logitech etc tend to concentrate on the expensive ones anyway (not that
    Logitech has any cheap ones)
    , Jul 1, 2005