    this happen folks??

    Ben
    , May 4, 2005

  2. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I had the Canon Power Shot G4 and liked the decent functionality, and
    > the pics were pretty good. The bulkiness didn't really bother me, and
    > I'm not too concerned with a camera that will fit in my wallet. I
    > liked the fold-out view finder - I found that quite handy.
    >
    > What are the most important considerations when looking for a new
    > one...is it megapixels, is it zoom range - I would like to do some
    > outside/landscape/sunset pix, print size capability, etc.?
    >
    > Upon a cursory scan of digis at CNet, I see some cameras that have the
    > 10x optical zoom, but are comparitively low megapixel - 3 or 4. Why is
    > this? Converesely, I have seen some "pocket" digis that offer very few
    > options, but are quite high in megapixels - 6 or 7.
    >
    > I guess I would like a camera with decent zoom capabilities and
    > relatively high megapixels. Any recommendations on a camera that won't
    > break the bank? I'm looking to spend around $300 - $350. Can we make
    > this happen folks??
    >
    > Ben

    The number of pixels you need depends on your project use for the
    camera. If you do minimal editing and cropping, and never print larger
    than 8x10, 3mp is fine. Four would give you a bit more range in the
    editing, and might nice at 11x14. A 10x zoom is great if you do nature
    photography, such as bird watching, or you want to get great shots of
    grizzly bears on your Alaksan trip, but is of little use if your main
    use for the camera is taking shapshots at family gatherings. You might
    look at some the 6x zoom cameras in the 3-5mp range. That should give
    you a pretty good camera for your needs, and near the price range you
    quoted. Note that buying last years model will often give you a better
    camera at your price point.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, May 4, 2005

  3. dylan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I had the Canon Power Shot G4 and liked the decent functionality, and
    > the pics were pretty good. The bulkiness didn't really bother me, and
    > I'm not too concerned with a camera that will fit in my wallet. I
    > liked the fold-out view finder - I found that quite handy.
    >
    > What are the most important considerations when looking for a new
    > one...is it megapixels, is it zoom range - I would like to do some
    > outside/landscape/sunset pix, print size capability, etc.?
    >
    > Upon a cursory scan of digis at CNet, I see some cameras that have the
    > 10x optical zoom, but are comparitively low megapixel - 3 or 4. Why is
    > this? Converesely, I have seen some "pocket" digis that offer very few
    > options, but are quite high in megapixels - 6 or 7.
    >
    > I guess I would like a camera with decent zoom capabilities and
    > relatively high megapixels. Any recommendations on a camera that won't
    > break the bank? I'm looking to spend around $300 - $350. Can we make
    > this happen folks??
    >
    > Ben

    Take a look at http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    you'll find some higher MPs with longer zooms
    Panasonic FZ5/20 5MP 12x
    Nikon 8800 8MP 10x
    Canon Pro1 8MP 7x
    Sony F828 8MP 7x
    Minolta A2/200 8MP 7x
    also not listed
    Minolta Z5 5MP 10x

    unfortunately you won't get many for $300 !! try the Minolta Z5 but it gets
    mixed reviews.
    dylan, May 4, 2005
  4. kctan Guest

    Canon G4?????? never heard of it.

    kctan, May 5, 2005
  5. Guest

    kctan wrote:
    > Canon G4?????? never heard of it.

    No? Ever heard of Google? FYI, It's discontinued.
    , May 5, 2005

    writes:
    >No? Ever heard of Google? FYI, It's discontinued.

    It never existed. Can something be discontinued if it was never
    produced?

    Canon's G series went from G3 to G5, skipping the name G4 entirely.
    Apparently "4" is considered unlucky in some Asian language.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, May 5, 2005
  7. per Guest

    Whats wrong with your G4 anyway?
    per, May 5, 2005
  8. Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:

    > It never existed. Can something be discontinued if it was never
    > produced?

    Holy crap! You are right - mea culpa.

    > Canon's G series went from G3 to G5, skipping the name G4 entirely.
    > Apparently "4" is considered unlucky in some Asian language.

    You are both right and wrong. The camera which I thought was a G4 is
    actually a G2 - yes, this time I checked to make sure.
    , May 5, 2005
  9. Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:
    >>kctan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Canon G4?????? never heard of it.

    > writes:
    >
    >>No? Ever heard of Google? FYI, It's discontinued.

    > It never existed. Can something be discontinued if it was never
    > produced?
    >
    > Canon's G series went from G3 to G5, skipping the name G4 entirely.
    > Apparently "4" is considered unlucky in some Asian language.
    >
    > Dave

    Pity no one told Apple that. Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, May 6, 2005
  10. dylan Guest

    > Take a look at http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    > you'll find some higher MPs with longer zooms
    > Panasonic FZ5/20 5MP 12x
    > Nikon 8800 8MP 10x
    > Canon Pro1 8MP 7x
    > Sony F828 8MP 7x
    > Minolta A2/200 8MP 7x
    > also not listed
    > Minolta Z5 5MP 10x
    >
    > unfortunately you won't get many for $300 !! try the Minolta Z5 but it
    > gets mixed reviews.

    You'll find a review of the Minolta Z5 and Panasonic FZ-5 and the new FZ-4
    (4MP 12x) in the newest reviews section on the site.
    dylan, May 6, 2005
  11. David Chien Guest

    > I guess I would like a camera with decent zoom capabilities and
    > relatively high megapixels. Any recommendations on a camera that won't
    > break the bank? I'm looking to spend around $300 - $350. Can we make
    > this happen folks??

    www.dpreview.com
    www.imaging-resource.com
    www.steves-digicams.com

    then www.shopper.com
    www.microcenter.com 20% off all digicams this month sale!
    (eg. new $499 SD500 Canon 7MP digicam going for $399!)

    You can bottom hunt - eg. older Sony P150 7.2MP digicam going for <$250,
    etc. - esp. the open box items that are marked down low!
    (even the new P200 7.2mp is going for $320 instead of $399!)
    David Chien, May 6, 2005