advice for 1st credit card ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down the full cash up
    front. I've never applied for a true credit card before. I have a good
    credit score though over 700.

    I'm looking to apply for a credit card with 0% APR for 12 months and no
    annual fee, to finance my new notebook. The main goal is to purchase the
    laptop, and then pay it off over a few months interest free, without
    incurring other fees and what not. It sounds so simple, but is it accurate:
    get a card, buy the notebook, pay the card off before the promo period ends
    and cancel the card, and this will leave me with my notebook with no other
    finance charges (assuming no missed payments, etc). Is this right?

    Can anyone offer any advice here, or identify misinformation I might have?
    Am I fairly accurate here? I see citi and chase both offer similar cards, 0%
    for 12 months and no annual fees. Does it sound like I'm on the right path,
    or are corrections needed?

    Thanks all. I'm looking at E1505 notebooks and my ideal notebooks are
    running about $950-$1015. I'd like to purchase next time dell outlet offers
    another 10% coupon.
    Brian, Dec 22, 2006

  2. Brian

    Scoresby Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down the full cash up
    > front. I've never applied for a true credit card before. I have a good
    > credit score though over 700.
    >
    > I'm looking to apply for a credit card with 0% APR for 12 months and no
    > annual fee, to finance my new notebook. The main goal is to purchase the
    > laptop, and then pay it off over a few months interest free, without
    > incurring other fees and what not. It sounds so simple, but is it accurate:
    > get a card, buy the notebook, pay the card off before the promo period ends
    > and cancel the card, and this will leave me with my notebook with no other
    > finance charges (assuming no missed payments, etc). Is this right?
    >
    > Can anyone offer any advice here, or identify misinformation I might have?
    > Am I fairly accurate here? I see citi and chase both offer similar cards, 0%
    > for 12 months and no annual fees. Does it sound like I'm on the right path,
    > or are corrections needed?

    Nope, you sound good to me. You might have trouble getting the 0% rate
    if it's your first card though, so good luck.
    Scoresby, Dec 23, 2006

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
    forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum mumbo jumbo with
    0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what I have as a student
    employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more reading of fine
    print and start applying and see what happens!

    Brian, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Brian

    George Guest

    Brian wrote:
    :: Thanks for the reply.
    ::
    :: I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on
    :: one, I forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum
    :: mumbo jumbo with 0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what
    :: I have as a student employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do
    :: a bit more reading of fine print and start applying and see what
    :: happens!
    ::
    ::
    :: "Scoresby" <> wrote in message
    :: news:...
    :::
    ::: Brian wrote:
    :::: Hi all,
    ::::
[...]

    Make sure you get one with no annual fee.
    George, Dec 23, 2006
  5. Brian

    DanR Guest

    George wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the reply.
    >>>
    >>> I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on
    >>> one, I forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum
    >>> mumbo jumbo with 0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what
    >>> I have as a student employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do
    >>> a bit more reading of fine print and start applying and see what
    >>> happens!
    >>>

    >>> "Scoresby" <> wrote in message

    > Make sure you get one with no annual fee.

    Make sure you are never even one day late with a payment. Usually the deal
    is off if you are late and they charge you all the interest retroactively.
    DanR, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Brian

    NotMe Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    | Thanks for the reply.
    |
    | I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
    | forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum mumbo jumbo
    with
    | 0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what I have as a student
    | employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more reading of
    fine
    | print and start applying and see what happens!

    Watch out many of those 0% are teasers and they can (and do) jump the rate
    for the most outlandish justifications.
    NotMe, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Brian

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:48:31 -1000, "Brian" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply.
    >
    >I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
    >forget if Citi or Chase,

    Do your research. Citibank is a pack of crooks.
    Shel-hed, Dec 23, 2006
  8. Brian

    samuel Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down
    > the full cash up front. I've never applied for a true credit
    > card before. I have a good credit score though over 700.

    have you talked to your bank or local bankS?
    samuel, Dec 23, 2006
  9. DanR wrote:
    > George wrote:

    >>Make sure you get one with no annual fee.

    > Make sure you are never even one day late with a payment. Usually the deal
    > is off if you are late and they charge you all the interest retroactively.

    If the kid's got any sense, he'll avoid a credit card at all cost. :) He
    should be able to go to Circuit City or some store like that and make
    a small down payment and let CC's finance give him the loan for the
    remaining amount. He's got good credit for a little bit of time, anyway.

    Once a CC company gets a hold of you, you're fucked with temptations on
    we just raised you're credit limit so spend some more on our dime, which
    you'll pay for using that dime heavily. You'll look around and wonder
    just what was purchased that max-ed it and it happens quickly.

    I got one paid off and cut-up and the other one is within striking
    distance to pay that one off and cut it up soon. :)

    A debit/credit card is the way to go. If the money is not in your bank
    account for none emergency stuff, then you didn't need it.
    Dr. Abraham van Helsing, Dec 23, 2006
  10. Brian

    Frosty Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:48:31 -1000 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
    sat on "Brian" <>'s chest like a vulture, I said
    "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you can
    throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
    >Thanks for the reply.
    >
    >I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
    >forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum mumbo jumbo with
    >0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what I have as a student
    >employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more reading of fine
    >print and start applying and see what happens!

    Whatever you don't don't get The Capital One Platinum Card. I have one
    and it is the worst and most fucked up company I have ever dealt with!
    I'm using the 0% 'til I pay it off then I'll shred it & mail 'em the
    pieces.

    Frosty, Dec 23, 2006
  11. Brian

    Frosty Guest

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 03:15:08 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
    sat on "Dr. Abraham van Helsing" <""Dr. van Helsing\"@van
    Helsing.COM">'s chest like a vulture, I said "Pluck It! And with the
    feather I'll tickle your throat and you can throw it up to me" Said he
    "I shall" & thus puked:

    <snip>

    >If the kid's got any sense, he'll avoid a credit card at all cost. :) He
    > should be able to go to Circuit City or some store like that and make
    >a small down payment and let CC's finance give him the loan for the
    >remaining amount. He's got good credit for a little bit of time, anyway.
    >
    >Once a CC company gets a hold of you, you're fucked with temptations on
    >we just raised you're credit limit so spend some more on our dime, which
    >you'll pay for using that dime heavily. You'll look around and wonder
    >just what was purchased that max-ed it and it happens quickly.
    >
    >I got one paid off and cut-up and the other one is within striking
    >distance to pay that one off and cut it up soon. :)
    >
    >A debit/credit card is the way to go. If the money is not in your bank
    >account for none emergency stuff, then you didn't need it.

    I disagree, Doc.
    The kid should keep the card, and even use it once and a while, but he
    should pay off his balances in full if possible.
    A credit card is a very good thing to have.
    He doesn't sound like a spendthrift.
    Frosty, Dec 23, 2006
  12. Brian

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 03:15:08 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
    > sat on "Dr. Abraham van Helsing" <""Dr. van Helsing\"@van
    > Helsing.COM">'s chest like a vulture, I said "Pluck It! And with the
    > feather I'll tickle your throat and you can throw it up to me" Said he
    > "I shall" & thus puked:
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >>If the kid's got any sense, he'll avoid a credit card at all cost. :) He
    >> should be able to go to Circuit City or some store like that and make
    >>a small down payment and let CC's finance give him the loan for the
    >>remaining amount. He's got good credit for a little bit of time, anyway.
    >>
    >>Once a CC company gets a hold of you, you're fucked with temptations on
    >>we just raised you're credit limit so spend some more on our dime, which
    >>you'll pay for using that dime heavily. You'll look around and wonder
    >>just what was purchased that max-ed it and it happens quickly.
    >>
    >>I got one paid off and cut-up and the other one is within striking
    >>distance to pay that one off and cut it up soon. :)
    >>
    >>A debit/credit card is the way to go. If the money is not in your bank
    >>account for none emergency stuff, then you didn't need it.

    > I disagree, Doc.
    > The kid should keep the card, and even use it once and a while, but he
    > should pay off his balances in full if possible.
    > A credit card is a very good thing to have.
    > He doesn't sound like a spendthrift.

    Yeah, they all have good intention, until they get that plastic in their
    hands, an ink pen and they are short on cash.

    CC companies are so treacherous, they got kids coming out of high
    schools in serious debt. They got sales booths in places like Kmart
    reeling them in with sign up for this CC and get a free gift. They eat
    it up like pop corn.

    This was about 20 some years ago. I had a friend that was getting his
    first card and then later cards. Oh yeah he had very, very excellent
    credit and they took care of him. They hooked him up with pure platinum
    ones, as he had it like that on the credit. All the big boys lined up on
    him.

    I tried to tell him to leave them alone, as they will be trouble. I
    don't think it was a two years later he came back and told me I was right.

    The one card I still have, which I have not used in 3 years, I cut it
    up, they are still raising the limit to try and pull me back, ****-em!

    I get the crap in the mail all the time, even the one I got rid of a
    couple of years ago. All you got to do is *sign* and we'll get you your
    platinum out right away, ****-em!

    Hey kid, report back to us in about a year, after you get that card, and
    let us know where you stand then with the card. :)
    Mr. Arnold, Dec 23, 2006
  13. Brian

    tom Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:48:31 -1000 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
    > sat on "Brian" <>'s chest like a vulture, I said
    > "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you can
    > throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
    > >Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > >I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
    > >forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum mumbo jumbo

    with
    > >0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what I have as a student
    > >employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more reading of

    fine
    > >print and start applying and see what happens!

    > Whatever you don't don't get The Capital One Platinum Card. I have one
    > and it is the worst and most fucked up company I have ever dealt with!
    > I'm using the 0% 'til I pay it off then I'll shred it & mail 'em the
    > pieces.

    One issue that seems to have been left out here is discipline. I've used
    plastic successfully for over 30 years now with no problem. I'm more than
    happy to let a company do my book keeping, extend me a short term interest
    free loan and pay for my purchase's on time. In return I send them one check
    once a month, on time, and have never paid a penny in finance charges or
    annual fees. I've also used Capital One for many years with no problems.
    tom, Dec 23, 2006
  14. Brian

    beenthere Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down the full cash
    > up front. I've never applied for a true credit card before. I have a good
    > credit score though over 700.

    Snipped the waffle.

    I`ll give you the same bit of advice my Dad gave me over
    60 years ago.
    If you haven`t got the cash, you can`t afford it.
    Save your cash, and when you`ve got enough, you can
    buy whatever you need\want.

    Mortgaging your life is fatal, believe me.

    bw..OJ
    beenthere, Dec 23, 2006
  15. Brian

    NotMe Guest

    "Shel-hed" <> wrote in message
    | On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:48:31 -1000, "Brian" <> wrote:
    |
    | >Thanks for the reply.
    | >
    | >I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
    | >forget if Citi or Chase,
    |
    | Do your research. Citibank is a pack of crooks.

    Direct Merchant Bank is not much better.

    NotMe, Dec 23, 2006
  16. Brian

    NotMe Guest

    "tom" <~@^.com> wrote in message

    | "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    | > On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:48:31 -1000 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought
    | > sat on "Brian" <>'s chest like a vulture, I said
    | > "Pluck It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you can
    | > throw it up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
    | > >Thanks for the reply.
    | > >
    | > >I've got a good credit score so that is not a problem. I read on one, I
    | > >forget if Citi or Chase, that to qualify for their platinum mumbo jumbo
    | with
    | > >0% you need a minimum of 12K income, which is what I have as a student
    | > >employee right now. Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more reading of
    | fine
    | > >print and start applying and see what happens!
    | >
    | > Whatever you don't don't get The Capital One Platinum Card. I have one
    | > and it is the worst and most fucked up company I have ever dealt with!
    | > I'm using the 0% 'til I pay it off then I'll shred it & mail 'em the
    | > pieces.
    | > >
    | One issue that seems to have been left out here is discipline. I've used
    | plastic successfully for over 30 years now with no problem. I'm more than
    | happy to let a company do my book keeping, extend me a short term interest
    | free loan and pay for my purchase's on time. In return I send them one
    check
    | once a month, on time, and have never paid a penny in finance charges or
    | annual fees. I've also used Capital One for many years with no problems.

    I did much the same but trying to keep track of what these SOBs are up to is
    a night mare. Go a notice from one sometime last year they were raising the
    rate because I had not used it enough. Snip snip back to them in their own
    prepaid.

    I keep two (one for main use the other if I get somewhere where the first is
    not accepted) both carry no balance
    NotMe, Dec 23, 2006
  17. Brian

    NotMe Guest

    "beenthere" <> wrote in message

    | "Brian" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi all,
    | >
    | > I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down the full
    cash
    | > up front. I've never applied for a true credit card before. I have a
    good
    | > credit score though over 700.
    | >
    | Snipped the waffle.
    |
    | I`ll give you the same bit of advice my Dad gave me over
    | 60 years ago.
    | If you haven`t got the cash, you can`t afford it.
    | Save your cash, and when you`ve got enough, you can
    | buy whatever you need\want.
    |
    | Mortgaging your life is fatal, believe me.

    Credit cards are good insurance against the unexpected. i.e. bad
    transmission in East Jesus Al. or a screwed up air line ticket in Tokyo. I
    imagine a few folk stranded in Denver had really planed ahead for a long
    layover.
    NotMe, Dec 23, 2006
  18. beenthere wrote:

    > Snipped the waffle.

    wOOt!!11!!!!

    I hereby nominate "snipped the waffle" as the replacement for "jumped
    the shark". As in, "Hey, I think 'Battlestar Galactica' snipped the
    waffle this week."

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 23, 2006
  19. Brian

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:31:50 -1000, Brian wrote:

    thanks.com, ask the guys of the domain name you are sending your spam
    to. (©2004 O.C. Tanner)

    >Hi all,

    <snip>

    >Can anyone offer any advice here, or identify misinformation I might have?
    >Am I fairly accurate here? I see citi and chase both offer similar cards, 0%

    Those 2 names may give some clue to the country?

    >for 12 months and no annual fees. Does it sound like I'm on the right path,
    >or are corrections needed?
    >
    >Thanks all. I'm looking at E1505 notebooks and my ideal notebooks are
    >running about $950-$1015. I'd like to purchase next time dell outlet offers

    So might the $, although it's used in several places.

    It's all about the fine print, how many months an offer may last,
    retrospective charges. The worst bit is temptation to pay a bit less a
    month or two and strech out the repayment, or use it again. Best to have
    a low limit and keep it that way. Several times I have had to call up
    and lower the auto raised limit.

    In some TV ads in the UK, for balance transfers the offer time / rates
    vary, transfer fees make a difference, which is all back down to the
    fine print in any case, 1st card, transfer, offers to move to gold
    cards.

    So far Mastercard have been okay, and it's issued by my own bank so that
    helps clearing up the odd problem.

    Amex is okay as well, although don't use it much, only in places which
    don't have MC.

    Me
    why?, Dec 23, 2006
  20. Brian

    Lookout Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:31:50 -1000, "Brian" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm looking for a new notebook but can't afford to put down the full cash up
    >front. I've never applied for a true credit card before. I have a good
    >credit score though over 700.
    >
    >I'm looking to apply for a credit card with 0% APR for 12 months and no
    >annual fee, to finance my new notebook. The main goal is to purchase the
    >laptop, and then pay it off over a few months interest free, without
    >incurring other fees and what not. It sounds so simple, but is it accurate:
    >get a card, buy the notebook, pay the card off before the promo period ends
    >and cancel the card, and this will leave me with my notebook with no other
    >finance charges (assuming no missed payments, etc). Is this right?
    >
    >Can anyone offer any advice here, or identify misinformation I might have?
    >Am I fairly accurate here? I see citi and chase both offer similar cards, 0%
    >for 12 months and no annual fees. Does it sound like I'm on the right path,
    >or are corrections needed?
    >
    >Thanks all. I'm looking at E1505 notebooks and my ideal notebooks are
    >running about $950-$1015. I'd like to purchase next time dell outlet offers
    >another 10% coupon.

    What did mommy and daddy suggest?
    Lookout, Dec 25, 2006