Advice: Email Servers ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Synapse Syndrome, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. "Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    news:nC4Og.57$...
    >I was surprised that there is a good number of email sources out
    > there, and they are free! My search was not for a free email
    > address but one that I could keep if I change IP.
    >
    > Are there any out there that come highly recommended, or are they
    > all about the same?

    I use www.Fastmail.fm . They have lots of domains to choose from, and lots
    of features.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Sep 14, 2006

  2. Synapse Syndrome

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-14, Luke O'Malley <> wrote:

    > I was surprised that there is a good number of email sources out
    > there, and they are free! My search was not for a free email
    > address but one that I could keep if I change IP.

    I'm guessing that you mean '... if I change ISP'; changing your IP number
    shouldn't make any difference to an email service, unless you were hosting
    it yourself - but then if you were I don't think you'd be asking this
    question ;))

    > Are there any out there that come highly recommended, or are they
    > all about the same?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    I've been using Operamail Premium for 5 years, and it seems to be very
    reliable. <http://www.operamail.com/>. (It is associated with Opera
    Software, makers of my favourite web browser).

    Some now offer good spam blocking 'at the server' so that most spam never
    gets to your email program's 'inbox'; this is worth considering,
    especially if you use a dial-up internet connection or your email program
    is not good at dealing with spam. Yahoo! mail seems to be good at this,
    at least for the service I get from them as part of a UK ISP contract.

    <http://www.yahoo.com/> (USA)
    <http://ca.yahoo.com/> (Canada)
    <http://uk.yahoo.com/> (UK and Ireland) } I'll bet this
    <http://au.yahoo.com/> (Australia and NZ) } annoys some!
    etc ...

    Most email services now seem to offer both web and conventional 'POP/SMTP'
    access; some (eg Operamail) require payment for the POP and SMTP access to
    work, but the web interface is free. Some actually generate 'opt-in spam'
    as a way to fund their 'free' service.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Synapse Syndrome

    richard Guest

    >I was surprised that there is a good number of email sources out
    > there, and they are free! My search was not for a free email
    > address but one that I could keep if I change IP.
    >
    > Are there any out there that come highly recommended, or are they
    > all about the same?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    www.usa.mail.com

    Web based, but for a few bucks a year you can get it direct through your
    regular mail handler.
    Excellent spam filtering. Unlike yahoo or hotmail, they won't cancel your
    account because somebody filed a complaint about a one time violation.

    richard, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Synapse Syndrome

    Whiskers Guest

    Re: Advice: Email Servers ? THANKS

    On 2006-09-14, Luke O'Malley <> wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Whiskers <> said:
    > -->
    > -->On 2006-09-14, Luke O'Malley <>
    > -->wrote:

    snip

    > Thanks,
    > Luke

    A word to the wise: don't use

    in text newsgroups - plain text is the only format that can be read by
    everyone. Anything else is likely to get you adverse reactions, or no
    response at all.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 14, 2006
  5. Synapse Syndrome

    FML Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > I was surprised that there is a good number of email sources out
    > there, and they are free! My search was not for a free email
    > address but one that I could keep if I change IP.
    >
    > Are there any out there that come highly recommended, or are they
    > all about the same?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    For something like $6.95 (USD) per year you can register omalley.com
    (assuming it is available) with someone like godaddy.com and get one
    free e-mail account like . Doesn't matter who your ISP
    is after that.

    FML, Sep 16, 2006