    I am thinking £250 / $500 max.

    Any ideas on what I should be looking at?

    Many thanks in advance.
    Carl, Mar 12, 2007

  2. Charles Schuler, Mar 12, 2007

  3. Carl wrote:
    > Hello all
    >
    > I am looking to buy a new digital camera for an upcoming trip to New
    > York. Last time I went I took my Minolta D'image Z3 which is a great
    > camera (in myu opinion), but it's far too bulky to fit in an inside
    > pocket.
    > I want a smaller camera with a good optical zoom (ideally 6x) -
    > budget wise I am thinking £250 / $500 max.
    >
    > Any ideas on what I should be looking at?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    Jessops had these on special offer recently - pocket-sized, 7MP, 28 -
    200mm zoom, CCD-shift image stabilisation:

    http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh_caplio_r5_review.htm

    Panasonic have excellent lenses, though, and everything else being equal I
    would choose that brand.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Carl

    MG Guest

    MG, Mar 12, 2007
  5. Carl

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:43:03 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    > Panasonic have excellent lenses, though, and everything else
    > being equal I would choose that brand.

    But as we well know, everything else isn't equal. :)
    ASAAR, Mar 13, 2007
  6. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:43:03 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Panasonic have excellent lenses, though, and everything else
    >> being equal I would choose that brand.

    > But as we well know, everything else isn't equal. :)

    Indeed yes. Handling alone is one thing that differs when evaluating
    cameras. Something I might find comfortable will be too small for others!

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 13, 2007